Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #31
whereda40at
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
whereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to whereda40at
would a 37r be too laggy or know. cause like i said its for drag and lag is not realy a proplem here. as long as it makes up for it in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #32
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
No as long as you have an adequate staging system, like a two step or anti lag.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #33
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff View Post
40 Series is LAGGY.

IE: "TeamPacMan" built a similar car, that was very thorough with a 40R, made less than 500hp with so much lag he parted the car (someone here owns the chassis now).
thats because it was a 2.0

2.3liter should spool a gt40r with a .82 housing the same as a gt35r with .86 t3 housing, maybe better.

GT40R wheel is great, but I would suggest solid lifters.

Then you run in calcin max piston speed and oil pressure needs to compliment your 9k power band as well.

sigh, so much money.

hence i stick with 86 x 86 like koopa was mentioning.

Raise the compression, use a 500whp turbo that has a power band, it will be faster on the street, strip and canyon than a gt40r car with 600whp and 2.2 liter in most all cases.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #34
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prok0 View Post
If you are looking for added displacement to spool a turbo a little quicker I wouldnt stroke the motor, I would install new sleeves and bore it.. That way you still maintain the stock stroke and can still rev high..
Because if you go longer stroke you wont be able to rev as high so it will sort of be pointless, you may spool the turbo quicker, but you have a lower redline, and therefore about the same powerband..

You can rev an sr to 8500 with a stroker kit and propper oiling.

its when your seeking nine, you need to take bearing clearences and oiling into account (like custom clevite maybe) etc.

mazworks does 10k... and 9500 shifts on a 2.2 liter latey, Hybrid doing 8500s all day with stock oiling system iirc
Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #35
whereda40at
Zilvia FREAK!

whereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nicewhereda40at is just really nice
well the kit will be in real soon and then the block goes out to get machined. right now im lookin for motor mounts.

but im still leaning towards a 40r cause to run in the class that ill be running in at the track. you have to be in the 10's to be a threat.

im also lookin for a rear set up. still doin alot of homework but i have time. cause money will not be there for all of it at once. so i have time to learn. and im sittin in the front row of the class with my notebook. so teach.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #36
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Definitely get a twin-scroll turbine housing, whatever turbo you choose, and a split manifold.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #37
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo711 View Post
Definitely get a twin-scroll turbine housing, whatever turbo you choose, and a split manifold.
^ HYPE ALERT ^

haha, I want to try one myself, but from what I know, Its not going to make a night and day difference.

many have reputed that.

It does make A Difference, but its up to the buy to decide if the transient response (which is the only improvement) is to be worth the extra money.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #38
whereda40at
Zilvia FREAK!

what does a split manifold do for me?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #39
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereda40at View Post
what does a split manifold do for me?

According to Full Race and people who shelled out 1400 dollars for the manifold it bends time and space.

honestly it's suggested to divide gas pulses up between odd cylinders allowing for better flow, for better transient response.

Some also think it makes mid range torque increase, but this has only been demonstarted in a couple of cases and makes me led to believe it was just a change in boost through that range of rpm due to less more back pressure in the system
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #40
whereda40at
Zilvia FREAK!

ok so to put this tread to an end. here are the conclusions i have come to....

1. a gt40r .82 a/r is not to big and would not be laggy on the stroker kit.
2. can rev up to 8500 rpm
3. full race manifold is the way to go for easy intall and power and reliable
4. the 300zx rear is a must and will be done asap.
5. need a 2 step or anti lag system. which one?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #41
daryl337
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
daryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to daryl337
In all honesty... although a 2.2 or 2.3 liter motor would be able to spool a gt40r... I think that a 3582R would suffice for you until you really are going to shell out the cash... because the operating range of a 3582r would give you less of a spikey powerband (albiet it will still be spikey).. and is well enough to get you into the 700hp range if you tune correctly and use race gas.

But then again, I dont know what kind of money you are playing with, because I could tell you a sweet set up if you are willing to pay for it.

I myself have about 4 thousand dollars worth of new car parts in my bedroom waiting for me to shell up the other 4 thousand for parts for me to finish the job.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #42
whereda40at
Zilvia FREAK!

well time is money and you have to play to pay. i just have to make sure i have everything else before i go big. like get my drivetrain straight. im on stock drivetrian with a stage 4 comp clutch and flywheel. i know the axels wont last and that i will need a new tranny soon. its all a matter of what breaks first and what i have to do to fix it. so my tranny is prolly next and i already know what i want for that. im getting a dog box for that.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #43
toy215

Trader Rating: (0)
toy215 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i'm at about the same stage you are at and would like to pick your brain give me a call. i pm'd you... hks 2.2L stroker kit with sleeves greddy oil pan, port and polished head, match ported greddy intake manifold and throttle body,tomei 270 intake/exhaust cams, BC +1mm valves with 5 angle job, tomei double valve springs, tomei solid lifters, 550cc injectors, running my s15 turbo, and a blitz FMIC for now also. oh and a toda flywheel.

i still need to get bigger turbo, 1000cc injectors, new clutch kit, and engine management. thats just to finish the motor. car it self has a long way to go so i know how you feel!!! actually i know how your wallet feels....
toy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #44
whereda40at
Zilvia FREAK!

i had been lookin and talkin to people and i think im goin to get a borg warner 366. it spools as fast as a 35r and had the power of a 40r.

the 366 has a much better flow rating.