Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #31
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek king View Post
That guy plus 130lbs plus a beard plus a hat is me, yes.

Hacking shit together has been the modus operandi of the S-chassis crowd for generations now. It's getting old. We, as a community, are old enough and smart enough that we should be able to not only figure out new options but also be cognizant of their shortcomings and overcome them.

Or, I guess we can just spend $300 on headlights that don't really fit in any dimension and say, "fuck it" and then bitch about how there aren't any clean chassis left because everything's been sawzalled by xanax-addicted high-schoolers.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #32
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RR View Post
America isnt the only country that would buy them think about it.
and you're oversimplifying the production/logistics problem.

I can have headlights made tomorrow. I'm not going to wait 2-4 years to get my money back.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #33
Green Arrow
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All of the posts in here "I'd front the 300k to do it, but ROI isnt there"; No.

You dont have the money, if you did you could wait the approx. 3-4 years to make the PROFITZZ.

OT:
Great substitute, no better light direction than bricks, affordable.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #34
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
All of the posts in here "I'd front the 300k to do it, but ROI isnt there"; No.

You dont have the money, if you did you could wait the approx. 3-4 years to make the PROFITZZ.
Sorry, I have the money but I'm not going to spend $300k to wait 3-4 years to see what happens.

I've done enough S-chassis parts business over the last 20 years (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of around $3-5M sales attributed to me directly on/off over that time period) to know what works and what doesn't.

What works is me trying to source parts from vendors without a MOQ or tooling investment on my part. I've been able to source some parts, but bricks are elusive. My next step is to try to go direct to Nissan's 3rd party factory that used to make the brick headlights, and see if they are willing to make an unbranded "generic" brick headlight using the original mold/tooling. If I can bypass the traditional route it would be a much faster process without the need to front so much money... but part of the problem is that a lot of these Japanese companies will not take meetings without a trusted person introducing, and they also won't take meetings virtually (i.e. I have to go in person). It's all dragging out unnecessarily...

$300k investment isn't the issue, it's inventory turnover. I can sell nothing but S13 Power Braces (and a bunch of other random parts like glass S14 headlights) for the next 3-4 years and turn over $300k much, much faster than waiting for replica S13 brick headlights to show up.

[email protected]
Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #35
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Sorry, I have the money but I'm not going to spend $300k to wait 3-4 years to see what happens.

I've done enough S-chassis parts business over the last 20 years (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of around $3-5M sales attributed to me directly on/off over that time period) to know what works and what doesn't.

What works is me trying to source parts from vendors without a MOQ or tooling investment on my part. I've been able to source some parts, but bricks are elusive. My next step is to try to go direct to Nissan's 3rd party factory that used to make the brick headlights, and see if they are willing to make an unbranded "generic" brick headlight using the original mold/tooling. If I can bypass the traditional route it would be a much faster process without the need to front so much money... but part of the problem is that a lot of these Japanese companies will not take meetings without a trusted person introducing, and they also won't take meetings virtually (i.e. I have to go in person). It's all dragging out unnecessarily...

$300k investment isn't the issue, it's inventory turnover. I can sell nothing but S13 Power Braces (and a bunch of other random parts like glass S14 headlights) for the next 3-4 years and turn over $300k much, much faster than waiting for replica S13 brick headlights to show up.

Cool man, I believe you. Anyways back OT....
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #36
s14freak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
s14freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
So, on topic of the OP, I ain't mad at it. It's a track car, dude made it work.

On topic of the fit functionality, there could be an opportunity there for someone to make more than just the mounting brackets. These Chevrolet lights aren't exactly the right size, so if someone was to produce a grill and or bumper that they worked with, could be a good way to make a little money.

And then on topic of reproducing Silvia lights, I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't come up with a 3D printed housing and just use an aftermarket clear lens with retrofit projectors. Again, could be an opportunity for some income.

But, I have an S14 and an S13.4, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Just my worthless $.02.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
s14freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #37
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
People on FB that are mad about what someone did to THEIR CAR

Teens that have no problem slapping LS's into their shitbox/missle 240's.

Guys that are price raping on bricks.

I mean some of the guys that are talking shit about his car, really need to take some time and reflect on their own build, because his car is one of the nicer purpose built cars that I've seen in a while. Fuck what anyone says, because they aren't paying for your build.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #38
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
You can aim headlights for your own better vision all you want, but headlights are more than just for you to see with. Other road users have to deal with our headlights' scatter and glare. I have astigmatism and as such, it means glare is amplified. Millions of people have astigmatism and who knows how many others are dealing with starring from lasik procedures. Blind someone at the wrong time and you may be on the receiving end of their temporary blindness.
forget driving, buy yourself a walker
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #39
super.trick
Leaky Injector

super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
This is a great idea. The only reason this isn't a win for everyone would be the trolls and people triggered by them.... 'these look great', 'these look just as good as real bricks' etc etc.

These don't look great. But they do look plenty convincing, especially from a distance or in motion, and they don't stand out enough to detract from an otherwise decent-looking car. (The horrible panel fitment of most S-chassis actually helping in this rare instance.)

It seems they are better than the real thing in every other regard besides aesthetics, so forgive me for only talking about how they look.

Now if only drifters found out about this before running 3/4's of the world's brick supply into the wall....

EDIT: I suppose there is also an element of gatekeeping... folks not wanting these 'boutique' parts accessible to the masses.
But honestly, this is what makes these particular lights so great... while they are convincing, if you care, you will absolutely notice they are not the real thing. And if you decide that bothers you, then you can get some real bricks for your car instead.
In fact, you'll have less people to compete with to find a set, since all the folks who weren't bothered will be rocking Silverado lights. win-win
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #40
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
the whole purpose of headlights is to be able to see at night

the whole reason bricks suck is because you cannot see at night and they are not compliant for use here in north america

the whole reason projector headlights are superior is because you can retrofit them with modern optics

the whole reason these chevy lights are stupid is because not one person here has posted any illumination photos

the worst part is that 2% of people on this forum have the mental capacity to understand this, let alone the budget to pay for quality headlights
Old 02-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #41
super.trick
Leaky Injector

super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Anyone remember this car?

To me, this where Silverado lights belong, not on public streets with other drivers at night. I'm sure several sets of Silvia lights met their end on the front of this thing prior to this 'solution'.
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #42
mikec003

mikec003 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the creativity. Get's the gears in my head moving...
mikec003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #43
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Just reminds me of the whole cookie sheet thing that started on the S-Chassis page a year or two ago. Just hilarious memes that will die down eventually. The people complaining "oMg tHiS Is sO aNoYiNg!!1!!" just make it that much funnier.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #44
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

the whole reason bricks suck is because you cannot see at night and they are not compliant for use here in north america

the whole reason projector headlights are superior is because you can retrofit them with modern optics

the whole reason these chevy lights are stupid is because not one person here has posted any illumination photos

the worst part is that 2% of people on this forum have the mental capacity to understand this, let alone the budget to pay for quality headlights
You can get these in projector form and just upgrade for better cutoff. Now whether if it works with bulb retrofit, someone's going to need to fork out the money.....
Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #45
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

Imagine being this dense, intentionally ignoring the fact that bricks are popular because they unanimously are the best looking on a sil-front. Mf out here trying to ride a wave of pRaCtIcAl fUnCtIoN in a community that celebrates a car that's not practical and not (comparitively) functional.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #46
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Imagine being this dense, intentionally ignoring the fact that bricks are popular because they unanimously are the best looking on a sil-front.
I personally prefer projector lights, I think they look better.

Everyone has their own tastes, let's just leave it at that...

[email protected]
Old 02-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #47
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I personally prefer projector lights, I think they look better.

Everyone has their own tastes, let's just leave it at that...
dual projectors FTW!!!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #48
bigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
bigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Imagine being this dense, intentionally ignoring the fact that bricks are popular because they unanimously are the best looking on a sil-front. Mf out here trying to ride a wave of pRaCtIcAl fUnCtIoN in a community that celebrates a car that's not practical and not (comparitively) functional.
ixfxi is that person on the internet that becomes passionate about something when it gains traction, meanwhile he's never had a single strong feeling about the subject before.

People complaining about bright headlights make me laugh. Do you forget how to operate a car and swerve into the nearest tree when there are bright headlights shining at you? No. You flash your brights, hope those aren't their actual headlights, and get slightly pissed off for about five seconds when you realize they had their brights on.

Let's be real haha, bright headlights are a small inconvenience. They aren't going to kill everyone you shine them at. If you have Astigmatism, don't drive at night....or take the proper precautions. Lameeee argument.

Good for that dude finding something cheap that still looks decent. It will never be better than the original, but at least it's not a light bar.
bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:52 PM   #49
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigs View Post
ixfxi is that person on the internet that becomes passionate about something when it gains traction, meanwhile he's never had a single strong feeling about the subject before.
how about this post i made back in 2007:
https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...1&postcount=22

the nice thing about the internet, its big enough to stuff up your ass

what a lot of people just dont understand is, this isnt a brightness issue.. its a beam pattern issue. lets use suspension as an example. what i advocate for are good suspension components and a proper alignment. what most of you morons talk about, is lowering your car to the point where you can barely drive the car on the street and running -20 degrees of camber.

i dont understand the level of retardation and stupidity. there are plenty of buses driving around with universal (modular) headlights. just buy some modular low & high beams, fab up a mounting bracket, align and DONE. no janky chevy lights.

ya fuckin morons
Old 03-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #50
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
These lights are junk on the GMs they came on. But, at least it's an improvement over light bars which aren't even headlights.

If you have the skills and creativity to mount these then you could make a mount for 90mm Hella projectors (the same type used for low-profile popup conversions) and have seriously good light.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #51
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Truck lights on silfronts is the visual equivalent to hearing a straight piped 350z.

The fact that this is even a discussion on here makes me want to jump off something really tall.