Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-27-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Infinity EMS engine running issues

Hello

Need an advice in regard to AEM Infinity ECU. I have major issues starting and running SR20VET engine on 508 Infinity EMS. Engine starts poorly; doesn't idle at all; almost doesn't react to throttle; shakes vigorously. Loud and constant backfires, strong odor of unburnt fuel.

Engine is modified: s14 bottom end, P11 head, custom intake collector, topfeed injectors, OEM VET pistons, Carillo rods, metal HG, GTX3071 topmount. It was sitting for 5 years, it hasn't been taken apart, just minor maintenance, oil, coolant, oil pan gasket, etc. Infinity EMS was installed with stock wiring via adapter harness

Engine ran smooth with OEM ECU(it ran way too rich because I wasn't able to find fitting topfeed injectors smaller than 440cc but without any other issues).

What has been done/checked:
- Base AEM calibration for SR20DET
- Deatschwerks 440cc injectors, set parameters from the website(test fitted ID1000 with the same result)
- S14 OEM CAS disc
- injectors and coils pinouts double checked and verified
- compression numbers 135-138-140-135psi
- fuel pressure 43psi, verified with FP sensor and mechanical gauge
- all trims are zero; protections, lambda feedback, idle feedback are disabled
- UEGO shows extremely lean condition: 1.9lambda

What hasn't been done yet:
- Ignition sync with EMS. I know that this is the first thing to do but I just cannot make it idle and need an assist; my brother will be able to help me in a couple of days. But I played with advancing/retarding ignition 10-15 degrees: it didn't help much.

Now I'm completely stuck. Any advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWuQjdOgGsk
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #2
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You need to set base ignition timing in the ecu before doing anything else. You must lock the timing lets say at 15 degrees btdc, and verify that's what you're getting at the crank with the timing light. Until you do that anything else you do you're just chasing your tail.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:19 AM   #3
splitfire
Leaky Injector

I synced ignition today, repaired 1st coil's connector(positive wire was broken and caused erratic spark) and after playing with maps I was able to start the engine with acceptable idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Em9GSI4Lo

It turns out that the base SR20DET map in Infinity's pack is way too lean (at least for SR20VET). I had to almost double VE cells in low MAP, low RPM area to idle engine smoothly and with targeted AFR.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Be sure you have the correct injector data input from the manufacturer specs. If you're using the ID 1000s (not 1050) It should be in the wizard
Old 09-30-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
splitfire
Leaky Injector

I changed ID1000 to Deatschwerks 440c, mostly due to discrepancies in flow data by manufacturer and by AEM. InfinityTuner rates them as 725cc/min, Injector Dynamics states that they are 1015cc/min. I already used Deatschwerks with stock ECU, and just wanted to be sure for the first start. Flow and offset data are from the official DW website.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:13 PM   #6
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

I'm confused. If you're running ID1000 you need to pick that in the wizard or your VE will be completely off. If that's correct it should start and idle in the ballpark without much effort at all, especially if your base timing is synced and the IACV is functioning properly. If idle is high or low in rpm you just tune that in the idle tab as you let the car get up to temp (which is really easy, just set the targets and add or pull % of the air), then turn on idle FB.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
I'm confused. If you're running ID1000 you need to pick that in the wizard or your VE will be completely off. If that's correct it should start and idle in the ballpark without much effort at all, especially if your base timing is synced and the IACV is functioning properly. If idle is high or low in rpm you just tune that in the idle tab as you let the car get up to temp (which is really easy, just set the targets and add or pull % of the air), then turn on idle FB.
I was confused as well, I should say. I firstly fitted ID1000, picked them in the wizard and start/idle weren't even somewhere near the ballpark. Yes I admit that ignition was advanced by 10-15 degrees before syncing but it couldn't be a reason for such an awful engine starting/running.

AEM wizard selection and InjFlowRate table:

Injector Dynamics website data(they deleted this info from the site but Internet Archive saved a copy):

I surely shall try ID1000 again, once I get familiar with the EMS and tune calibration on the DW 440cc injectors. If I understand correctly, a mere changing of injectors shouldn't affect engine behavior with VE based model ECU.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #8
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

The injector wizard is a multiplier. VE is absolutely based on your injector data because of this. VE is a multiplied caluclation based on all sorts of information in your setup wizard. The numbers in each cell simply represent these mulitiplied caluclations in a predicted condition. Obviously different cams, compression, etc can change everything to a degree and that's why VE needs to be adjusted but you say you are doubling values because you input the wrong information which is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

Don't worry about a discrepency in the injector manufacturer's info vs. the wizard. If your injectors are in the wizard (actual ID1000 NOT ID1050x) select them in the wizard. If you have ID1050x you will need to manually input the info from ID's website into the injector table since they are pretty different from ID1000.

Go back to ID1000 in the wizard and won't have to be doubling your values in the VE Table as a bandaid because the EMS thinks you're getting roughly half of the fuel you actually are...
Old 10-02-2023, 09:56 AM   #9
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post

Go back to ID1000 in the wizard and won't have to be doubling your values in the VE Table as a bandaid because the EMS thinks you're getting roughly half of the fuel you actually are...
I'll get back to this next weekend and post the results.