Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #31
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Ryosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You know when you go to the gas station and release pressure from the gas cap? Like the actual cap was defected from the back pressure some how.
Ryosuke Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #32
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
I’ve seen the theory, but like FaLKon240 below, I have known kouki people it affected too - so I don’t think the theory of it being a Zenki issue only is completely true. There is another theory that the crack is caused by bad subframe bushings causing the subframe to bounce / put pressure on the tank. Maybe there is some validity to that? Would be interesting to see if someone with solid or poly bushings experienced the problem after replacing the bushings.
As a matter of fact... I've had solid subframe bushings for i dunno... 5-8 years now. My S14 has 405,000 miles on it. Never had a cracked fuel tank. Dunno if that's a coincidence or if that's the reason.

Err someone mentioned something about clogged fuel filter and excess pressure in the tank. I'm been running a z32 tt fuel filter for the longest time. Dunno if that makes a difference or not either. Maybe less prone to clogging vs oem 240sx-sized fuel filter. I dunno, just throwing some ideas out there.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.

Last edited by MrMigs; 10-25-2018 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: about fuel filter
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #33
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
I was not aware of this, for the S13 people you can register as classic. Zenki's will soon be able to 2020/2021 and obviously Kouki's after that.
Ive looked into this in the past.

From what Ive gathered theres no real benefit from registering a classic car other than cheaper registration. It still needs to get smogged IIRC
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #34
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Anyway, only thing I can think of is a custom made metal one. Shouldn't be that hard for someone with experience. As long as it's seated properly, the rest should be easy.
LOL. you are funny. can it be made? yes, are you willing to pay in the quadruple digits for a metal gas tank? No.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #35
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
LOL. you are funny. can it be made? yes, are you willing to pay in the quadruple digits for a metal gas tank? No.
Oh come now. there are all manner of aftermarket aluminum tanks available. Just a couple weeks ago I passed by a friends shop as he was putting one into the stock tank location of a 70's Impala with a 2015 5.3L DI engine in it. It took some bending of the factory straps and some creative hardware but it fit well enough.

I've also seen a local fabricator make a pair of aluminum fuel tanks for a boat easily enough.

If you have the tig, the tools, how hard can it be? I might even ask if I see him in the near future what he thinks. I just don't like to ask questions about making stuff that I don't intend to have made up asap, waste of time, but this isn't such a big deal IMO.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #36
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
here is what most impala tanks look like:

Here is what a s14 tank looks like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post

you are comparing apples to oranges. the complex shape of the s14 gas tank cannot be simply replicated like a square impala tank can. don't you think if it were that easy someone would have already chimed in and made one? have you made one of these? if so, I would love to see pictures.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #37
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Kingtal0n this shit gets you nowhere bro trust me. Let them do/think what they want lol. Once all the tanks run out someone will do figure out a new method.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #38
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm not trying to argue, just stating that having a fabricator build a few tanks with a shape like that is going to be $$$. its not an easy shape to replicate and would require a talented metal worker.

it would be cool if someone here has a contact/hookup to an injection molding company. do a group buy and hopefully if there is enough interest, do more, or keep a stock of some.

https://www.plasticomnium.com/en/aut...l-systems.html
Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #39
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Making a copy out of fiberglass could be viable solution. I just searched on it briefly and it looks like a specific type of resin and coating will have to be used it to make it resistant to gasoline and ethanol.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #40
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Maybe commission a shop to make a custom fuel tank that will pass evap?

Maybe these guys or something similar?

http://www.boydwelding.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #41
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
I'm not trying to argue, just stating that having a fabricator build a few tanks with a shape like that is going to be $$$. its not an easy shape to replicate and would require a talented metal worker.

it would be cool if someone here has a contact/hookup to an injection molding company. do a group buy and hopefully if there is enough interest, do more, or keep a stock of some.

https://www.plasticomnium.com/en/aut...l-systems.html
This is basically what the person I referenced said. He said for the niche sales, it would be over a grand - and that would be if we could even find someone to properly replicate the complex design.

Yep... Fuel cell is probably the answer. Anybody here ever do the idea I have and rhino coat? My thought process would be if your tank is in perfect condition, the rhino coat will bind it and give it strength so something like a stress fracture hypothetically wouldn't occur.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:19 AM   #42
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes having somebody telling you that something is impossible or difficult is just a motivational speech. Find it in your heart to thank those individuals for without them, who knows what wouldn't be invented.

In the above example I agree that the shape is complicated and agree that it could be very expensive and not to get our hopes up for a low cost solution anytime soon, but personally if I had access to the material and a tig I could create something that would fit. And I also believe that somebody will find a better/affordable solution when necessity breeds creation in a higher method that maybe easier than welding.
Everybody is correct and its still fun to discuss and re-evaluate in idle time because this also may stew up new ideas.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #43
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
It's just a slightly odd shape. Shit, you people are acting like it's something out of this world... For someone experienced with metal bending and welding, and with a chassis, or at least the rear half cut to be used as a model, it shouldn't be that hard. Obviously it will have square edges and might be a little larger or smaller, but as long as the mounting points, the pump base and breathers are the same, it should be all good. Shit, if I had to I probably would give it a try, except I would make it out of steel since Im not good with aluminum.
Check this one out

for the f-body, a not so simple shape, and they sell for $600
here's a site with more pictures:
https://www.behindbarsracecars.com/C.../bbrcc9802.htm
No wonder people out there don't get shit done, they set themselves a lot of barriers...
Old 10-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #44
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
It's just a slightly odd shape. Shit, you people are acting like it's something out of this world... For someone experienced with metal bending and welding, and with a chassis, or at least the rear half cut to be used as a model, it shouldn't be that hard. Obviously it will have square edges and might be a little larger or smaller, but as long as the mounting points, the pump base and breathers are the same, it should be all good. Shit, if I had to I probably would give it a try, except I would make it out of steel since Im not good with aluminum.
Check this one out

for the f-body, a not so simple shape, and they sell for $600
here's a site with more pictures:
https://www.behindbarsracecars.com/C.../bbrcc9802.htm
No wonder people out there don't get shit done, they set themselves a lot of barriers...
All due respect, not sure if you comment was intended for me or not - but I never once said it could not be done. I looked into funding this before, and was given some answers that it wasn't cheap or easy for our fuel tanks. You mentioned here that sizing may not be perfect, and this is one of the issues - how the s14 tank is tucked, there isn't much room for error. Making a custom mold and then making the tank isn't a cheap endeavor either, much less if one has to scrap or change the final product.

As I said before, there was someone who I know is very knowledgeable regarding fabrication and cars, and this person on a now retired forum (or I would pull up their details and post here) explained that it really wasn't feasible. Doesn't at all mean it can't be done, just that it won't be an easy or cheap thing to do, and will likely cost more than the large majority of our niche community would be willing to spend.

Even that F body tank you put up is much more simple than the s14 tank. It's definitely IMO the biggest s-chassis design flaw among all the chassis from 12-15. Nissan screwed up on the design and materials big time.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #45
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
I say fuck copying the original design, just make what fits. I would be ok with even sacrificing a few gallons of fuel capacity if I could have an aluminum tank that never leaked.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #46
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I don't want to do another tank in the near future... the one I put in is good and holds a full tank of gas with no leaks... for now.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #47
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
As a matter of fact... I've had solid subframe bushings for i dunno... 5-8 years now. My S14 has 405,000 miles on it. Never had a cracked fuel tank. Dunno if that's a coincidence or if that's the reason.

Err someone mentioned something about clogged fuel filter and excess pressure in the tank. I'm been running a z32 tt fuel filter for the longest time. Dunno if that makes a difference or not either. Maybe less prone to clogging vs oem 240sx-sized fuel filter. I dunno, just throwing some ideas out there.
no relation, the z32 fuel filter makes no fucking difference. and technically, the tank does not crack - it just weeps. pinholes appear at the seam-weld, simple as that.

Quote:
do you have any further info on this? I have never heard of a classic car exemption for CA (just the 75 or older). I did manage to find this which states if your vehicle is older than 25 years old, it becomes smog exempt. I don't think that's accurate.

https://www.carsdirect.com/dmv/do-cl...-in-California
that link is horse shit. our cars dont just automatically become exempt. they will always have to comply with the applicable smog rules set for our cars.

Quote:
only thing I can think of is a custom made metal one. Shouldn't be that hard for someone with experience. As long as it's seated properly, the rest should be easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
If you have the tig, the tools, how hard can it be? I might even ask if I see him in the near future what he thinks. I just don't like to ask questions about making stuff that I don't intend to have made up asap, waste of time, but this isn't such a big deal IMO.
have you dolts looked at a stock tank? its a very odd, saddle-bag shape designed to hug the underbelly of the chassis. making one out of metal is totally out of the picture. the only solution is fuel cell, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
IIRC, the issue seemed to only affect Zenki and not koukis from the last time I broached this topic.
here we go again, the magic and mystery of the kouki. its the same fucking tank, no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosuke Takahashi View Post
You cant legally smog the car in cali once you go fuel cell.
who told you this? i think you are wrong.

the only issue that is big here, is that the tank doesnt just hold fuel, it also holds the pressure unit needed for obd2 functionality. this is in the later tanks, its actually molded into the tank.

as these cars get older, the only solution will be fuel cell... or convert your car to electric.

ive already posted on this problem years ago, i was able to fix this issue by heating the tank (empty, of course) with a heat gun - and then basically melting nylon (from zip ties or somewhere else) and just plastic welding the two together. it works surprisingly well. however, my car is no longer compliant as i ditched the charcoal canister/evap system - the tank is no longer being pressurized as it originally was. i still have the flip valve, so it holds fumes... just not the same amount of pressure as originally designed.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #48
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Maybe S15 won't be 'thin'. I think that is the best way to handle this for those of us withing to keep 14s for long time as it eliminates probabilities for finding 'thin s14' versions. Even if it does cost 1k it becomes part of the cost of the car when you look to buy an S14 from now on, buyer wants $400 but its $1400 because everyone knows the fuel tank is bad. It suddenly becomes a car that only elitist can drive, everyone has a 240, few drive them, wham a new muscle car elite entry only is born

Until then however, I think i will find a leaking 14 tank. So I can practice fixing it and then have it on the side ready to go in case needed. Unless stumble on 15

I think this is the best 2 options for full capacity and best location (hidden well) for us now for a while. Otherwise throw a boat tank and go caution to the wind
Old 10-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #49
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Quote:

have you dolts looked at a stock tank? its a very odd, saddle-bag shape designed to hug the underbelly of the chassis. making one out of metal is totally out of the picture. the only solution is fuel cell, period.

You don't say. You know, I've never taken an s14 fuel tank down. And you know what, now that you say it, I have never even looked at a picture of one, I've heard it's IMPOSSIBLE to find one, so I don't even bother trying. I did however find a picture of this motorcycle gas tank with a super odd looking shape. But hey, it's got to be CGI, right? 'cause out of the picture

Last edited by feito; 10-30-2018 at 09:51 AM..
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Maybe S15 won't be 'thin'. I think that is the best way to handle this for those of us withing to keep 14s for long time as it eliminates probabilities for finding 'thin s14' versions. Even if it does cost 1k it becomes part of the cost of the car when you look to buy an S14 from now on, buyer wants $400 but its $1400 because everyone knows the fuel tank is bad. It suddenly becomes a car that only elitist can drive, everyone has a 240, few drive them, wham a new muscle car elite entry only is born
Once again you make no sense...

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:18 AM   #51
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Once again you make no sense...
Hmm what doesn't make sense
Your options are:
1. used s14 tanks
2. used s15 tanks
3. fab a tank

okay pick one. Whats that? used s14 tanks are going to all probably crack? Okay so fab one. What? It costs $1000 or some crazy fab work? Okay so then... what option is left over...
did I miss a #4? sometimes I just wonder if you are a female, lack of logic power gives you away and its been consistently missing yet you never fail to point it out
Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #52
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
You don't say. You know, I've never taken an s14 fuel tank down. And you know what, now that you say it, I have never even looked at a picture of one, I've heard it's IMPOSSIBLE to find one, so I don't even bother trying. I did however find a picture of this motorcycle gas tank with a super odd looking shape. But hey, it's got to be CGI, right? 'cause out of the picture
so fab one up already, since you're so quick to talk.

i know how to tig weld. i can tell you, the chances of fabbing up that tank out of metal are pretty much none. no one got time for that bullshit, especially broke ass 240 owners. cut the spare out of the trunk and install a fuel cell - done.

but no, you're going to suggest we fab it up like that toy 2 gallon motorcycle tank. sure.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
spooled240
Post Whore!

Group buy?

http://www.sternindustries.com/custo...ming-hdpe.html
Old 10-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #54
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
that is a good find, but one thing you guys need to remember is that the tank has an integrated pressure sensor that is affixed (welded) to the tank, as well as the vent ports on the corners of the tank. at least thats what I believe those are. i never cut the tank apart to dissect and confirm.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #55
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
we never have this problem over in England with our 'euro-spec' s14's
the s15 tank is the same but the hose connections on the 'lid' are different on an s15 as the fuel hose are plastic so it has push on and click style connectors. also the fuel pump plug on the 'lid' is different to an s14 one.so your s14 loom wont plug directly into it.

maybe see if cars that have lived in not so hot climates for longer periods of time suffer with bad tanks. it pretty much never gets over 30 degree Celsius over here.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #56
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
we never have this problem over in England with our 'euro-spec' s14's
the s15 tank is the same but the hose connections on the 'lid' are different on an s15 as the fuel hose are plastic so it has push on and click style connectors. also the fuel pump plug on the 'lid' is different to an s14 one.so your s14 loom wont plug directly into it.

maybe see if cars that have lived in not so hot climates for longer periods of time suffer with bad tanks. it pretty much never gets over 30 degree Celsius over here.
I don't think there is any real difference between the tanks. I wouldn't be able to say what of my friends over the last 15 years have had it happen, I would probably surmise that your absence of problems is due to people not really talking about it much. I could however be incorrect, not trying to insinuate that you are a liar by any means.

It could be other things, our cars probably stack mileage up faster in the states, but there are plenty of cooler climate regions in the US and people still have these problems. The tanks are no different from US -> JP -> EU as far as I know.

FWIW, my s14 I am the second owner of and have owned for well over a decade and it hasn't been a problem even at 2xx,xxx miles. But I know that it is inevitable as, well, plastic sucks butt and will eventually rot. That is the nature of the beast. I started this thread due to I tend to forward plan things, and noticing the absolute scarcity of new tanks figured it was a discussion worth having now to help people circumvent the issue going forward.

I do agree with ixfxi though, I think the only real legitimate option is fuel cell, it just isn't a perfect option unfortunately. I am very curious to see if I rhino coat mine will it have any real affect on the durability. I plan to replace my bushings soon in the subframe, so I think as I tear down the car, I may drop the tank and have it coated for science.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #57
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Well... here’s a bump-

Pulled my s14 out of storage to bring home. Get off trailer, park it in the garage.

Next day when I open the garage - gas smell is strong. No visual leak, but I have a feeling if I go to pull it that I will find one.

So.

Anybody else want to chime in? I suppose there really aren’t many new options. One thing is for sure, I really don’t like the idea of buying another friggin plastic tank. I don’t like the idea of cutting into my s14 - as it’s still rust free and pretty factory when it comes to the body, but I think a fuel cell is my likely answer.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:30 AM   #58
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Have you confirmed a fuel tank leak? Does it leak only when full? Have you checked the fuel pump hanger/top hat. The Zenki s14 have terrible leaks there from around the actual electrical connections.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #59
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I sent an email via Nissan USA's website about this problem... who knows if it will go anywhere, but I mentioned this problem is occurring world wide.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #60
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Not sure if anything will occur talking to Nissan USA and not Nissan Japan directly, but hopefully they hear the call and bring it back into production or do a small batch.

Nissan did bring back some r32 parts into production through the NISMO heritage program, but the r32 gtr is legendary. I would think the s14/s15 would hold some kind of meaning too.

Quote:
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote