Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
nismodrift10

Trader Rating: (0)
nismodrift10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
School Me on VQ35 Dimensions!

I've spent some time casually scanning through some S13 VQ swap threads, and there seems to be some conflicting information. Or let me rephrase that, some people are very concerned about things that other people are not.

I'm tossing around the idea of a VQ into my V6 S12, as a far superior replacement for the boat anchor of a VG30E that's in it.

I've heard the oil pan is very deep causing pan-to-ground issues, and I've heard that the intake manifold is very high, meaning no hood or a cut hood. But then I've seen some pretty low S13s with a factory hood and VQ swap. What's the story here? Are there factory oil pan or manifold options that are helping people with clearance issues? Does anyone know of a good VQ swap thread that's well-documented with some dimensional information to help me wrap my head around things? I just hate to have to go buy the engine to answer the questions I have.
nismodrift10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
nismodrift10

nismodrift10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gonna bump this once!
nismodrift10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Its really tall, most cant run oem hoods without spacing it on the hinge. If you make custom mounts to lower the height of the intake, youve already made the oil pan/bellhousing lower. The crank angle sensor will also be extremely low. (All this in reference to s13 chassis)
Check out the vq swap page on fb.

Its a great motor, and relatively cheap. The dimensions are the down fall.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My VQ35HR oil pan sits level with the subframe in my s13. I used an Origin Type II hood to clear the intake manifold without spacing the hood hinges.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
The engine fits, its the transmission that you really have problems the CD009 or like trans is YUUUGE! and you need to bang the shit out of the trans tunnel or make a new one.

I'll be doing this swap into my vg s12 as well. I'm going to make a tubular rear subframe as well to fit s13/14 rear suspension as well but that is long down the road.