Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Silvia Light Alternative

Hey guys, S13 silvia stuff is skyrocketing price wise; I am planning to make some brackets that bolt in like stock silvia lights and hold either dual square pod lights (bricks style) or 3 projector style pod lights.
The idea would be for drifters who don't want to risk their $500 headlights, but still want a similar look, I killed a triple projector at an event this weekend, hence the thought
I'm making them for me regardless, but wondered if there would be any interest from the community if I decided to sell them?
Let me know your thoughts/questions/concerns!
nmerriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Pictures would do a better job of getting interest

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

nmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura about
I don't have anything to photograph yet, I'll be posting pictures as I make progress.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Team Hammertime just printed bricks for their drift cars. Looks dope.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm planning on printing dual projectors and amber corners for my combat eyes. I've seen the Circuit Sports headlight covers attached to the hood. Obviously both are for track-only cars.

If you're doing this for street cars that get drifted, keep in mind that you're dealing with a safety item. Light output has to be acceptable and cut-offs need to be kept near-factory or people might get stopped for blinding a cop.

I'd love to see something like this made. Subscribed.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:28 AM   #6
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Team Hammertime just printed bricks for their drift cars. Looks dope.
If those in the picture are printed they did a really nice job, 3d printing has come so far lately.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
I'm planning on printing dual projectors and amber corners for my combat eyes. I've seen the Circuit Sports headlight covers attached to the hood. Obviously both are for track-only cars.

If you're doing this for street cars that get drifted, keep in mind that you're dealing with a safety item. Light output has to be acceptable and cut-offs need to be kept near-factory or people might get stopped for blinding a cop.

I'd love to see something like this made. Subscribed.
Still debating whether to offer as just brackets, leaving the end user to source projectors/pod lights, or offer as a complete kit.
Obviously If a full kit is offered I'd do my best to keep it DOT legal and good output, but to be fair, stock silvia lights are not technically legal
Old 09-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Working on jigging to get mounting points in the right place, waiting on my friend with a set of mint duals to come by this weekend, mine have been repaired so I don't want to use them as a reference.
Shooting to have an initial prototype by Monday!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
They do offer bricks again new. I can't say the price is economical but maybe have a shit set for sliding and if you street drive it, put the nice ones back in.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #10
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
They do offer bricks again new. I can't say the price is economical but maybe have a shit set for sliding and if you street drive it, put the nice ones back in.
Not a bad idea, I've actually got a set of new bricks coming in the mail, but I want something more robust for sliding than 30 year old plastic that I have to collect and glue back together when I'm too enthusiastic on a follow/clip.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #11
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
https://www.google.com/search?q=s13+...ErHZ7lt5slUjcM

Not dot approved but for the track would work
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=s13+...ErHZ7lt5slUjcM

Not dot approved but for the track would work
Too bad they look like a bag of smashed arseholes.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:

Can imagine anyone taken the time todo more then that for a drift missle track car....
Old 09-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #14
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
This^^
I don't want my missile to look like a missile Ya feel?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #15
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
The only problem I have with stock brackets is that after sitting in the heat the plastic will get weak and that's when I break off tabs or molds that hold the bolt in. For headlight brackets I had to fab up a generic aluminum plate that holds some of the headlights' weight to reduce strain on the inside and outer mounting points.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
If you're not looking to do something like aftermarket shit, you're falling victim to yourself. Start hoarding shitty pairs or save the ones you smash, dremel off all the broken plastic, plastic weld in some lexan and has a half-ass somewhat presentable piece for the track and then put the bricks on when you leave.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd be interested in a set of 3D printed brick housings if they would fit all of the OEM components (Reflector bowls, and housings) since i've already ruined mine and retrofitted them, I don't mind.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #18
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

This weekend was less productive than I had hoped, but I was able to start on a jig to keep mounting points correct when making brackets.
I also gambled on some cheapo projectors from ebay, horribly designed, really not going to be an option without some heavy modification, so I'm still on the hunt.

I'll update again when the first prototype is done
Old 09-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #19
Calver
BANNED

Calver is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks good. Looking forward to the final looks.
Calver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:23 AM   #20
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

This project is very "back burner" for me, got two engine swaps and several suspensions things ahead of it, but I was able to get a little done this week.

This is not representative of final form, just wanted to get projector positions where I want so I can use this plate as a template to make the actual projector mounts.
The projectors I'm going to use are some generic HID projectors from Amazon, like $30 a pair. I'm impressed with the quality for the price so far.

Sorry for the tiny pictures, apparently Imgur's two options are zoomed in to 1000% or zoomed out to 5%
Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #21
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Imgur will let you scale them any way you'd like if you go to edit and change the pixel sizes.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #22
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I feel like scanning and 3D printing the housings and getting replacement lenses or making them would be a better looking and just overall better product in general over the bent metal style. Much cleaner and the flanges can be printed in directly for whatever light you choose.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #23
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I feel like scanning and 3D printing the housings and getting replacement lenses or making them would be a better looking and just overall better product in general over the bent metal style. Much cleaner and the flanges can be printed in directly for whatever light you choose.
I won't be using the bent metal construction for the actual production, that's just to get the positioning how I want it. I will be welding frames of box tube and using tabs from there to mount the projectors and faschia/lenses. the idea being that the frame will hold up to a hit, and the other components can be sourced cheaply to repair. We'll see how it turns out, but I prefer this ideology to 3d printed housings, which will need to be replaced in any accident.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:28 AM   #24
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Yes, they'll need to be replaced in any accident but they'd also be easily printable. If you made some sort of crumple system to prevent the important shit from breaking, you can probably make your life a lot easier.

Also, how many damn accidents you plan on getting into? Maybe you just need to make a small tube cage around the light or something. Damn.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Yes, they'll need to be replaced in any accident but they'd also be easily printable. If you made some sort of crumple system to prevent the important shit from breaking, you can probably make your life a lot easier.

Also, how many damn accidents you plan on getting into? Maybe you just need to make a small tube cage around the light or something. Damn.
Hey it's easier to make parts more durable than fix my driving

3d printing may be a viable option, but IMO it's not the best option, and I just don't like it on anything that's not a prototype, personal preference, but it bothers me.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #26
S14rebuild
BANNED

How about vacuum molding? Seems easy to do, and reproduce parts? Front and rear housing clear/black

Add brackets to mount lights inside...
Old 11-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #27
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
I'm very interested! Currently dissecting a pair of bricks to see what I can do with it, but a blank housing would make things a lot easier for me

One issue on the bricks is the back opening for the main bulb is lower than center. Brings up fitment issues when retrofitting because you can't set a projector deep enough into the housing without having to physically position it lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmerriw View Post
3d printing may be a viable option, but IMO it's not the best option, and I just don't like it on anything that's not a prototype, personal preference, but it bothers me.
I also agree with this--not a fan of 3D printing for "final" products
Old 11-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #28
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
How about vacuum molding? Seems easy to do, and reproduce parts? Front and rear housing clear/black

Add brackets to mount lights inside...
Definitely a good option, I'm looking into vacuum forming for lenses and the reflector/faschia inside, if it works well I may try the same with housings.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:41 AM   #29
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Finally got some more time this week, started making a frame to mount the projectors and other bits. I'm hoping that by the end of the week I'll have something functional, and if that goes well the next step will be making the cosmetic parts like reflectors and lenses, as well as some finish panels for the top most likely.

This isn't my only project, so progress will be sporadic, but I've got an event next weekend, I'd love to have working lights for that.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

We have light! the projectors put out way more than my stock triples did, and have the proper USDM cutoff. The welded frame should be plenty robust, but I don't like the look, and it takes a while to make, so I'm looking into ways to make it faster, and alternative manufacturing methods.
I'm going to try to thermoform some acrylic for lenses for now, but I think the stock fluting adds to the look, so I plan to try to poly-resin cast some 1:1 copies, and if that goes well I may try to do the same for reflectors and other parts.

Please excuse my ugly car