Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #211
mrrisk
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mrrisk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Great write up! This is premium quality stuff.
mrrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #212
racinjayson

Trader Rating: (0)
racinjayson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, so I had my reverse shifting fork break on my 6spd and I was having a hard time trying to find parts for this transmission. Turns out the 99 to 05 Mazda Miata 6spd trans is made by the same company(Aisin AZ6), so I took a chance and purchased one that was a core for parts only. Here is the low down, the input shaft for the two are different and the main shaft as well as the bell housing and tail-shaft housing. The gears are different ratio's but the same as in they'll work in the nissan trans. All the syncro's, shift forks, bearings, secondary main shaft and complete center section including the case itself are exactly the same. So if you looking for parts to rebuild your nissan trans in the U.S., you can get most everything you need out of the mazda and you can get parts online from Jim Ellis Mazda with a complete parts diagram breakdown. Hope this is of some help to anyone in need of some rebuild parts, thanks.
racinjayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #213
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjayson View Post
Turns out the 99 to 05 Mazda Miata 6spd trans is made by the same company(Aisin AZ6)
The Aisin AZ6 is in a ton of vehicles:

Altezza AS200 & RS200
Lexus IS300
Toyota "86"
Scion FRS
Subaru BRZ
Mazda MX-5
Mazda RX-8
Nissan S15

Has anyone tried the "circlip fix" on their s15 trans? There's a company in Australia that does the fix or can send the parts pre-done. Apparently it's the main weak point that causes the strength issues on these trans and once the revised part is installed they hold up to a lot more power/torque.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #214
racinjayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
The Aisin AZ6 is in a ton of vehicles:

Altezza AS200 & RS200
Lexus IS300
Toyota "86"
Scion FRS
Subaru BRZ
Mazda MX-5
Mazda RX-8
Nissan S15
Way to go Wikipedia man, none of those are the same as the Silvia except the miata trans. I searched them all and they have the same designator (AZ6) they are not even close to the silvia.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #215
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
S15 6 Speed Transmission for Dummies

Quote:
Way to go Wikipedia man, none of those are the same as the Silvia except the miata trans. I searched them all and they have the same designator (AZ6) they are not even close to the silvia.

How are they not the same exactly? You yourself noted the differences between the Miata and Silvia trans. So those aren’t “the same” either.
I know for a fact the Altezza/IS300 trans is just as similar as the Miata trans is. With the same differences as well. Again, same for all those other vehicles. Aside from bellhousings, gear ratios, and the odd sensor here or there, other internals are effectively the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #216
racinjayson

You're missing the point the altezza is a Japanese car, I'm giving information about a U.S. based model that you can get parts for in the U.S. not Japan.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #217
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Ok 5 of those 6 are american lol.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #218
racinjayson

And those five are not the same or are not readily available or cost a fortune, dude don't you think I already went down this road before I posted, give me a break.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #219
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
And those five are not the same or are not readily available or cost a fortune, dude don't you think I already went down this road before I posted, give me a break.
So at this point what do you need then? I’m running a J160 in my Altezza Beams and have a spare sitting in my garage. I’m not looking to sell but do you need photos of something?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #220
racinjayson

Jason Shaha, and I don't need anything, I used a Mazda miata six speed transmission and got the shift fork and a few synchro's, back together and running.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:18 AM   #221
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Jason Shaha, and I don't need anything, I used a Mazda miata six speed transmission and got the shift fork and a few synchro's, back together and running.
No need for introductions, I am just clarifying what’s needed here before this thread turns to shit. Glad you resolved your problem and thanks for the input.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #222
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Jason Shaha,..
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
No need for introductions...

Non-pussy confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:26 PM   #223
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
slow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Does anyone running a Dakota Digital SGI 5 know roughly what their configured settings are? I’m setting it up to use the abs sensor on the s14 diff through SGI5 to 95 s14 SE cluster.
slow_sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #224
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_sr20 View Post
Does anyone running a Dakota Digital SGI 5 know roughly what their configured settings are? I’m setting it up to use the abs sensor on the s14 diff through SGI5 to 95 s14 SE cluster.

Lowest setting 2.50 and still off by 10% to 20% at actual speed 65 mph - speedometer reads 80mph. I think I’m doing it wrong?

97 kouki cluster
S15 abs diff sensor
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:01 PM   #225
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post

Non-pussy confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
This is gold lol.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 AM   #226
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:

Anyways, this is what I was talking about. Neat Gearboxes in AU offers the fixed gear shaft that fixes the main weak point in the az6 trans. Oh what do you know it works in ALL of those chassis I posted [emoji849]

Old 11-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #227
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Anyways, this is what I was talking about. Neat Gearboxes in AU offers the fixed gear shaft that fixes the main weak point in the az6 trans. Oh what do you know it works in ALL of those chassis I posted [emoji849]

CRIKEY mate!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #228
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Has anyone successfully used the S15 ABS controller to get a functioning speedo in an S14? Which wire in the cluster do you connect the ABS speedo output to? The S14 VSS is 2 wires (R/Y & R), but the S15 output is only 1 wire.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #229
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Just saw a S15 6 speed with S15 diff, clutch and shift mechanism for 2200!??!!?

I am pretty sure the glss S15 gearbox is worth as much as my #2 pencil.......with no lead
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #230
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post

I am pretty sure the glss S15 gearbox is worth as much as my #2 pencil.......with no lead
I Know someone local, tuned the car, 440rwhp through that original six speed for almost 20 years now. So I don't count them all out of the game.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #231
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Whp is not what breaks gearboxes. Its sticky tires/grip, digs and torque.....

The s15 gears are physically smaller to allow the gearstack to fit in the exact same space of the larger gearstack of the 5 speed.

Dont doubt ya king.. but a single notional data point doesnt properly categorize the actual physically smaller size of the gearstack or the well documented failures

Also intended use and vehicle weight has a major affect on how long they last.....that and which Japanese glass company made the gearstack that day hahahahah
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #232
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:

Yeah that?s my post. I priced it according to what I see s15 spec r transmissions for sale for on eBay, as well as the complete differential which I only found one other for sale.

Again, Neat gearboxes has posted info on what the main fault with the transmission is and what usually makes them fail. Plus tons of people have ran these transmissions without failure. Everyone assumes they just shipped every s15 out the factory with a broken transmission [emoji849].

For a street car that someone wants a nice 6 speed trans setup where everything bolts with in without any adapter stuff, it?s perfect.

Also my asking price was 2200 or best offer.

Every trans on eBay is 1400 and 900 for the one diff that?s on there..

Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #233
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
Whp is not what breaks gearboxes. Its sticky tires/grip, digs and torque.....

The s15 gears are physically smaller to allow the gearstack to fit in the exact same space of the larger gearstack of the 5 speed.

Dont doubt ya king.. but a single notional data point doesnt properly categorize the actual physically smaller size of the gearstack or the well documented failures

Also intended use and vehicle weight has a major affect on how long they last.....that and which Japanese glass company made the gearstack that day hahahahah

I would hope that someone wouldn't be dumb enough to be drag racing on the transmission. For what it's worth people break s13/14 transmissions all the time with stock/bolt on sr20's. They're all "weak". This transmission isn't intended for a damn racecar.

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 06-01-2020 at 05:28 PM..
Old 05-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #234
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Instead of parroting 18 year old flawed arguments about smaller gears, here's some useful info:

The rear output seal to the driveshaft is larger than the common S13/S14 seal. Vendors told me it was a JDM part that would have to come in from Japan.

Turns out the FRS/BRZ output seal is exactly the same size and readily available at your favorite parts stores/websites.

The shifter housing gasket is still a JDM only part, so waiting on that thing.

Also, the aluminum drain/fill washers can use Toyota part as well: 90430-A0003

Last edited by LoSt180; 06-13-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #235
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

No one really answered my speedo question. So, looking over the Nismo catalog I saw that they offered a VSS "kit" consisting of a snap ring and ball, but no info on the gear. Found some old threads and ordered an S14 gear. Needed to dremel out the middle a bit since the S15 output shaft is 3mm larger than the 5 speed. Crossing fingers this works when i finish everything up.

Parts:
32228-RRS50 - Snap Ring
32720-RRS50 - ball
32701-E9800 - gear

Old 06-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #236
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

I did the same thing definitely highly recommend than inaccurate dakota digital.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #237
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnshft2drft View Post
I did the same thing definitely highly recommend than inaccurate dakota digital.
What final drive ratio are you using? Mainly wondering how far off my speedo will be if I change to 3.69 gears vs the stock 4.08.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #238
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
What final drive ratio are you using? Mainly wondering how far off my speedo will be if I change to 3.69 gears vs the stock 4.08.

Right now its 4.08 diff, s14 cluster and, speedo. I?d say 2-3% faster maybe because I?m running larger diameter wheels sets.

Before I had the dakota wired with the abs diff sensor it was 20% faster. My oil change intervals went pretty quick lol

Let me know how that 3.69 works. I have the s15 diff waiting to install.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #239
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

That's weird that they don't sell a gear for the s15 trans VSS kit.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #240
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
That's weird that they don't sell a gear for the s15 trans VSS kit.
Dude, tell me about it. Apparently they have gears available, but I have no idea how to get ahold of Nismo Japan to ask. The guys at Nismo USA don't know. My guess is they have different gears to match up with final drive ratios. Would be better if they just made a part number list and let us order that way.