Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #5791
b00stinbmx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
b00stinbmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
well its done, it dosen't leak, its not perfect but i made it and im pretty damn happy with the experience as a whole. i def learned a lot and the next one could be a million times better. im going to smooth it out and polish it at some point but for now im just trying to get my car running and see how it performs before i waste the effort. heres a few flicks.

all in all it cost me probably $500 worth of material and maybe 40 hours of work or so. if anyone is interested i would probably make another for around $1,300. still cheaper than a raw brokerage or RIPS one. but lets see how it holds up first.

installed and how the car sits right now till it gets tuned
b00stinbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #5792
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
I will be tackling some rust repairs that will include welding on my car soon and I was reading this thread as motivation:
http://forum.eastwood.com/showthread...ration-project

One simple question I have is what do you guys use to cut such intricate pieces out of the body panels? What tools in particular? Is is a combination of cut off wheels and sawzall?

Also how do you find most spot welds to drill them out? Sure some are obvious on good clean metal but when rust gets in there it get's blurry. Do you just get most then chisel the rest out?
Depending what it is and what you have available. Angle Grinder and body saw are the two I use. Both I have are electric but I have air versions as well. I use sawzaw to cut larger stuff like frames, etc.

To find spot welds, use a wire wheel if it has rust. Usually you can get it down enough to see the divot in the metal where the spot weld is. If you are unable to get to a spot, drill out the ones you can see, then pull the metal up and you will notice where it is being held down. Often showing where the next spot weld is. Usually you can just see them though or wire wheel to see them. I have a sharp hardened chisel set I use for small stuff like if you drilled to the side a little or something similar, then the chisels come out.

Also, if you are going to drill spot welds to weld later, I would recommend getting a thing of copper as if you are new to it, you may drill through and need to weld the hole. A ton easier and better with copper on the backing. The welds usually dont stick to copper and so filling holes is easier instead of doing multiple tacks to build a dome.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #5793
blockedwizard
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
blockedwizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Ahp alphatig200 I lengthened mid pipe for cat delete and buddy welded turn down after picking up exhaust.

blockedwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #5794
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
Depending what it is and what you have available. Angle Grinder and body saw are the two I use. Both I have are electric but I have air versions as well. I use sawzaw to cut larger stuff like frames, etc.

To find spot welds, use a wire wheel if it has rust. Usually you can get it down enough to see the divot in the metal where the spot weld is. If you are unable to get to a spot, drill out the ones you can see, then pull the metal up and you will notice where it is being held down. Often showing where the next spot weld is. Usually you can just see them though or wire wheel to see them. I have a sharp hardened chisel set I use for small stuff like if you drilled to the side a little or something similar, then the chisels come out.

Also, if you are going to drill spot welds to weld later, I would recommend getting a thing of copper as if you are new to it, you may drill through and need to weld the hole. A ton easier and better with copper on the backing. The welds usually dont stick to copper and so filling holes is easier instead of doing multiple tacks to build a dome.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
Thank you very much! Seems like the body saw is just what I need!
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #5795
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahlorm View Post
I'm just starting to get into fabricating myself. And my test dummy happened to be an s13 that I cut up. My original plan was going to be to ditch the body and build a full tube chassis around the suspension and drivetrain, but I was convinced to keep the lower half of the shell and the firewall to make it easier to tag. Right now my only concern is since I cut the roof before installing the main hoop, it ended up a little tall lol. After I get seats and such, I'll then decide whether or not to cut it down a bit.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Is that a vw thing with a sr?
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #5796
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man..... looking in this thread and seeing all the glorious fab work and looking for more to end up seeing all the dead image links brings a tear to my eye.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #5797
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
does a little sanblasting designing count? :-P
Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #5798
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a bunch of small rust holes in the floor pan behind the front seats right where the floor goes vertical to go up the rear seats. I just ordered this floor extention to try and fix them all in one go:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...,745_001,74516

I was wondering, will I need a jig while I cut out this small section of floor? Or will it be fine?
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #5799
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
I have a bunch of small rust holes in the floor pan behind the front seats right where the floor goes vertical to go up the rear seats. I just ordered this floor extention to try and fix them all in one go:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...,745_001,74516

I was wondering, will I need a jig while I cut out this small section of floor? Or will it be fine?

I would say you will be fine to remove that panel from the car. just make sure your car is nice and level when you remove it and put your new one in.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #5800
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone in here have a good resource for clevis mounts for 1.5" OD tube? Similar to what's pictured below:

ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #5801
shaggy sr
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
shaggy sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Who is down to make single bash bar for s13 silvia front? i ordered the one from dangdrifters.com and it didn't fit. i returned it to them. please find me customs bash bar thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #5802
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Fabrication photo dump (sorry for the quality of some of the photos, usually when I'm working I don't take the time to get my nice camera dirty and just use my phone.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #5803
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Haven't posted in a while, since these are getting harder and harder to come by. Made a few S14.3 rocker covers for a few customers here last week, here is one of them.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #5804
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Fabrication photo dump (sorry for the quality of some of the photos, usually when I'm working I don't take the time to get my nice camera dirty and just use my phone.

so you finally bought a welder???????

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #5805
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
so you finally bought a welder???????
I've had the MIG since high school and got the TIG in late 2015, not sure if this is just some sarcasm that went directly over my head.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #5806
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
I dont know how people can live with screamer pipes, those things are so fucking annoying. Maybe with an electronic boost controller it's not so bad? Maybe Im just getting old? I dont know, Im just glad I finally got to recirculate mine:

This is a floor panel I built for my aw11 recently. I built most of it a couple of months ago, then made the mistake of letting it sit unpainted.

I had to sand and remove all the surface rust it had collected

after some sanding and sandblasting I finally put a coat of primer and weld it in place

Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #5807
nelson8708

nelson8708 is making a name for him/her selfnelson8708 is making a name for him/her self

The Exo car I built from the ground up... Chassis and all. Good learning project
Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #5808
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
thats awesome man. why didnt you turn the intercooler upside down so you'd save a bit on intercooler piping? (so the couplers would be underneath the headlights)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #5809
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

jdm_land is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG][/IMG]
jdm_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #5810
wurley
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
wurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
First stainless project. 2x wastegate dump tubes

Old 11-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #5811
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
my project is starting to come together...

Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #5812
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
The Down pipe i recently made up for this e30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=MigIxVR-oTc
Old 03-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #5813
Rubber D

Rubber D is a well-known jackass
Made some cheap one off bracket to relocate alt for a single belt system.

-8$ for 8”x3”x5/16 6061 plate(ebay)
-90’ steel bar(Home Depot)
-steel tube(Home Depot)
-30$ Sentra alt(junkyard)
-6$ belt 3rib(ebay)
.. my charging system was going out 25year old alt wouldn’t charge a new battery.
Mid 14v all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rubber D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #5814
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Damn.... I was hoping for actual content.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #5815
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Hey guys, haven't logged in for years. Can't believe this thread has `1.5 million views.

Here's what I've been doing fabrication on for the last 3 years.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #5816
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Hey guys, haven't logged in for years. Can't believe this thread has `1.5 million views.

Here's what I've been doing fabrication on for the last 3 years.

This thread is a big part of what got me into fabrication... Thanks for making it all those years ago!
Old 05-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #5817
Notch_Javi

Notch_Javi has a little shameless behavior in the past
Specs on Intercooler

Hello, im here for anyone that has or knows the hp rating on a GReddy type 24 spec ls intercooler, if so please reply to me im trying to find a good intercooler that holds within 400-500 horsepower and this one has caught my eye but i havent gotten much opinions.
Notch_Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #5818
w.tungsten
Zilvia Member

w.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nicew.tungsten is just really nice

Hi All,

I've been out of the S chassis game for a while. Been working on my FD and my wife's V12 Datsun... but I'm back and I forgot SR20s never have any lift hooks to pull out the motor. Well I had a bunch of these made. Lmk if anyone wants a set.

-Michael

w.tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #5819
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Anyone have any good instructional videos about stacking dimes with a MIG welder in sheetmetal?

My metal guys are artisans with the exception of pretty welds. We usually hammer-finish butt-welds and then grind and lead. They're strong and end up clean, but they're not modern stacked dimes. TIA.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote