Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
s13 HID fog light projector in S13 Silvia bricks

So it's pretty well-known bricks have the worst light output, but this retrofit is possibly the least invasive improvement I could imagine

The HID projector I'm using is the Morimoto Matchbox
>>Morimoto product page

It's VERY tiny--the whole thing can fit inside the main headlight bowl:

Unfortunately I don't have any instructions on opening up the headlights--mine already had clear lenses put in.

But beyond that, it's just a matter of popping out the H3 bulb holder and sandwiching the projector in the bowl:

From left to right (right being the front):

Lock ring > Adapter plate* > Reflector bowl > Silicone grommet > Projector
*H4 adapter plate is pictured, but the included flat H7 adapter worked out better

In the end you'll get something like this:

The wire is for the high-beam solenoid that you should consider drilling a hole for. It drops the cutoff shield to open up the full beam

There's a shroud that fits these projectors, but there's only one and it's ugly as hell

Just some food for thought for people who want a little more from their bricks, but don't want to cut into their bowls/housings to fit 2.5" projectors. I can't imagine the OEM glass lenses affecting the beam much either, but I could be wrong, lol
Old 12-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I get the aesthetic appeal of bricks, but if everyone is soo unhappy with the output, why do people insist on retrofitting....projectors. I've never, in the last 15yrs of owning these cars, have understood why you wouldn't just go with projectors to begin with? It honestly ruins the look of the reflector housings. They were base model for a reason, haha. Don't get me wrong, props to morimoto for making a heckin' super simple drop in that will create a proper projector setup.

To answer your question about the lens though, the diffraction bars built in to the factory glass is meant to assist refocusing and distributing the beam pattern from the oem reflector design. It would disrupt the projector's intended output which is why there is a plain circular section in front of them on the oem projectors. How bad woudl is affect them? idk, never done it but I'd guess you wouldn't get as crisp or clean of a cutoff as it should be.

Take the stock sealed beams for example; the cheaper replacement housings that have plain glass have absolutely terrible light output no matter what bulb you put in it. Higher quality brands like Hella and Raybrigs maintain the diffraction lens for a reason; you won't get that focused hot spot with them and have a fairly even spread with decent cutoff.

*yes its a jeep, I stole the housings from my S13 because I just couldn't take the shitty ones anymore that came on it when bought 2.5yrs ago. I could barely see 50ft

Old 12-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You can also fit actual d2s HID "square" projectors. The output is much better than mini h1 projectors and you can use OEM hid bulbs and ballasts instead of aftermarket.

https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=872