Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
d-macs13

Trader Rating: (0)
d-macs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx Vk45de/Vk56de Swap kits????

Hey guys I dont think this has been discussed in other threads if so i haven't really gotten any good info on the subject. I want to swap a vk56de or a vk45de into my 1990 s13 hatch, and yes I know about the vh45de swap and swap kit but i do not want to use that motor. And i'm 100% sure i don't want to go ls1 so PLEASE don't tell me about it!!! I would really like to keep the nissan brand name and if it comes down to it i'll fab my own kit.

So with that said i would like to know who all has swapped these motors into there S-Chassis

Swap Kits if there are any out there

Aftermarket Support (I know it's limited)

The Pros and Cons of both motors

What transmission is best used with them

Weight, ect..

Thanks in advance for the info guys!
d-macs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
d-macs13

Any Info at all??? Links would be helpful too!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
cody180sx

cody180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Try neo's garage he has adapter plates to use the 350z or 370z 6 speed to a vk56. He also has flanges to make custom headers too.

https://sites.google.com/site/neosgarage/

Problem I'm having is locating someone to do the harness(reason I choose a mechanical rate instead of an electrical rate for the navy I suck at the electrical part.)

McKinney motorsports makes motor and transmission mounts for the 350z you might be able to chop out the old mounts and work with those.

http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_VK56++350Z+swap

Extrudabidy makes an itb setup Ryan kado runs these in his set up these with a set of cams put the car at 400hp and I think 400 tq
http://www.extrudabody.com/servlet/t...VK56%2C/Detail
cody180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
cody180sx

Sr Motorcars makes a top end setup to rev to 9000rpm. Valves, springs, retainers the works.

SR Motorcars: Nissan VK56DE Engine

Gtm motorsports does everything bottom end wise. Stock 98 mm bore pistons, 100mm bore pistons, bearings, high flow oil pump, and even a 6.0L stroker kit plus short blocks for stock 5.6L and 6.0L set ups.(FYI the 100mm pistons put the displacement up to 5777cc only 200cc short of the way more expensive 6.0L that's the way I'm going.)

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/search....=search&page=1

Jim wolf does cams has for Chris foresburg and Ryan kado's car. They also do vk45de cams but I don't know much about that motor.

Jim Wolf Technology website
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
d-macs13

Thanks for the info Cody! Props for working with the vk56 thats what i'm probably going to do as well and are you going to do a build thread for your swap? I have the adapter plate already I will be using a friends 07 350z tranny because its the cheaper option and the 03-06 350z trannys are crappy. I will be looking for wiring harrness also well because that is not my strong suit either so i will let you know if i find anything
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Coolwhip
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Coolwhip is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Coolwhip
We're developing a line of VK56 parts so stay tuned. One of the first products in the works is a terminated wiring harness kit.
Coolwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
d-macs13

O do you know how much the weight of the vk56 is?

And vk45 is used in the Super GT races Nismo puts them in R-35's so thats saying alot! But i beleave they did bore them to a 5.0 that's why i was thinking about that swap but seeing that there the same block i think it will be same process for the swap.

The Vk56 may be a taller do to the bigger stroke. That may be worth going vk45 to fit under the hood without cutting holes in it, I think the width is the same
Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Coolwhip
Zilvia Junkie

The intake manifold and oil pan are your major worries in fitting the VK56 into your S chassis.

We're addressing that.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
d-macs13

Quote:
The intake manifold and oil pan are your major worries in fitting the VK56 into your S chassis.

We're addressing that.

Great! Raw Brokerage Saves The Day! Keep me informed! And you will be making the oil pan baffled right?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Coolwhip
Zilvia Junkie

Our oil pans are always baffled
Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-macs13 View Post
And vk45 is used in the Super GT races Nismo puts them in R-35's so thats saying alot!
The race engines may be cool, but the real-life version turned out to be prone to quite serious oil consumption issues as it ages. A lot of people's engines ended up grenading and having to be replaced around the 75K-mile mark.
Nissan never fixed the problem, since the engine was already out of production by the time the problems manifested themselves, so to people still under warranty they just gave replacement engines, which will most likely end up doing the same thing.

Hopefully the VK56 will prove to last a bit longer.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
d-macs13

Quote:
Our oil pans are always baffled
Good I will differently be looking at your products!

Quote:
The race engines may be cool, but the real-life version turned out to be prone to quite serious oil consumption issues as it ages. A lot of people's engines ended up grenading and having to be replaced around the 75K-mile mark.
Nissan never fixed the problem, since the engine was already out of production by the time the problems manifested themselves, so to people still under warranty they just gave replacement engines, which will most likely end up doing the same thing.

Hopefully the VK56 will prove to last a bit longer.
Damn i didn't hear anything about that good looking out Matej i will need to look into that. I love Nissan with a passion but wats up with the motors and oil problems
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
thetopcow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
thetopcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Not to bump a week old thread. However I am working on this swap currently. Progress isn't super fast but if you have some more question pm me and I will attempt to help.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
cody180sx

Haha raw brokerage I'm the guy who keeps sending you messages every couple of months about when those parts are coming out. I bought those McKinney motor and trans mounts and the lexan windows you guys had on sale for my 350z during your moving sale. Is there an eta on when you guys are gonna be finished and what are you working on?

Just sent a message to z fever the other day they can do a harness for 350z's so everything runs like stock gauges and all.