Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
DWillms2

Trader Rating: (0)
DWillms2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA24 Chain Noise AFTER removing guides (tensioner works)

Hey all,
So just getting ready to sell the '95 S14, so I pulled it out of storage (has been sitting for about a year) and did a few things.

One of the main things before when I was driving it was that it had a bit of timing chain noise, so that was one of the first things I fixed. I didn't start it BEFORE I did this fix, but I know when I was driving it previously the chain noise was noticable.

Yesterday I went through the timing chain guide removal tutorial, and all seemed to go well. I took BOTH of the guides. Also, I ensured my tensioners were both working properly. The top one seemed to move well, moves back all the way and pushes the chain forward when released, as it was supposed to. The bottom one was in similar condition. The guides were both worn fairly similarly to the tutorial I used, maybe a bit worse. The chain is tight on top between the gears, little rebound.

So I went back and put it all back together, left it overnight, and threw in a new battery today and started it up. It's making a pretty awful noise, I can't tell if it is coming from the timing chain or the valve train however, but it seems more like the timing chain. I checked the oil (it's old from sitting, but full, I was going to change it after a seafoam)

The noise sounds like a constant grinding, and if you listen closely it seems like there is the odd "ping" as well.

The timing chain itself seems in good condition, no bad wear, so I'm not sure what the problem is. There was also a fair amount of carbon build up on the bottom of the valve train, not sure what that is from. Attached are pictures and videos. Anyone else have any thoughts one something I did wrong or what else this could be?

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS- Yes I know the engine bay is dirty, it's on the to do list!

VIDEO:

YouTube - 240SX Timing Chain Noise
DWillms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Massimo Power
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Massimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to allMassimo Power is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Massimo Power
your tensioner might be bad.. it kinda sounds like the chain might be slapping against the valve cover itself... open it up and see if theres any markings on the valve cover...

AND CHANGE THAT OIL! lol

www.massimopower.com
PH: 1(951)402-5386
EM:[email protected]
Special Thanks To:
www.aeperformance.com
www.domospeed.com/blog
For Their Continued Support
Massimo Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Silverstreek
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Silverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i have to do this to mine as well.

but ya know, just looking at the write up (and this might be a dumb question), the writeup doesn't say if you are supposed to reinstall the bolts that hold the 2 guides on. or if you're supposed to leave them off. i'd think they'd go back on, but maybe not? so if you're supposed to and you don't, what could happen? or if you're not supposed to and you do, what could happen?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Silverstreek
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Silverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
bump for answer...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
if you pulled bolts off of something i think i would put them back on i really dont think thats your problem check to see if the chain tensioner is working make sure you dont see any rubbing any where use a flashlight and look down the chain to see if there are any marks
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreek View Post
i have to do this to mine as well.

but ya know, just looking at the write up (and this might be a dumb question), the writeup doesn't say if you are supposed to reinstall the bolts that hold the 2 guides on. or if you're supposed to leave them off. i'd think they'd go back on, but maybe not? so if you're supposed to and you don't, what could happen? or if you're not supposed to and you do, what could happen?
Think about that for a second. You've removed an item secured with two bolts. The bolts don't do anything else besides secure that item. With the item gone, why would there be a need to keep the bolts?

Common sense dictates you throw them away. And yes, that's exactly what you do with them. Nothing will happen if left in except you'll have some extra bolts sitting in the head serving no purpose whatsoever.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
DWillms2

DWillms2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I just got back from a weekend trip, and took a look at it again today. I still can't figure out what's causing the problem. No marks on the valve cover that I could see, and the tensioner still seems to move easy as it's suppose to.

Only other thing I could think of would be low oil pressure not activating the tensioner, but the noise is through all RPM's, and the car has oil etc etc. Where is the easiest place to hook up an oil pressure gauge quickly.

Any other ideas? I think I'm going to turn the engine manually with the cover off and see if I can figure out where the noise is coming from...

Would a Seafoam be a good idea to make sure there are no oil blockages etc causing low oil pressure?

Thanks for the help!
DWillms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
to see if you have oil pressure there should be a bolt by the oil filter where you can hook up an external guage and watch the oil pressure thro the rpm's
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote