Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
Purp240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Purp240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think I need more rear brake bias..help

I have an s14 with a z32 front brake upgrade with stock s14 rear brakes and the stock s14 brake master cylinder. The braking is very good even with the stock rears but I can feel that i need more braking from the rear. i feel that most of the brake pressure is distributed to the front and the rear barely does anything. I thought this was just because the smaller s14 BMC cant push enough fluid to the rear of the car, but from what I read from my search it seems this is actually opposite of what I thought. The pedal feel is very touchy and not very easy to modulate. I tried bleeding all 4 calipers but nothing changed.
i searched and found a thread all about the z32 brake upgrade and it confused me even more.

So basically what I am asking is how to get more rear braking action from my car? Am i stuck with this brake feeling until I upgrade the rears or is there a way to get smoother braking action??
Will a z32 BMC give me more even brake bias??

thanks in advance
Purp240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
omgosh
Zilvia Member

omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
On my S14 I upgraded the rear brakes to the Altima rotors and Z31 brackets. It costs about as much as a BMC will. The rotor is larger so the rear brakes get more leverage. It feels pretty damn good/balanced to me, but this particular car is just a street car so I dont exactly beat the brakes off it.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, the oem rear rotor is small as shit.

You went from 2 piston calipers and a smaller rotor up front to a bigger rotor and 8 pistons. That's more squish, more surface area, and a longer distance from rotor edge to hub center where the rear is still the same.

Could cheat with a proportioning valve or as said above, do some rear brake upgrades. I asked about the master cylinder as well. I'm driving an s14 currently with skyline 4 piston fronts and oem rears. Bigger cylinder will amplify the "problem" as you are pushing MORE fluid with less pedal travel due to the bigger cylinder bore.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
Purp240
Leaky Injector

^^^ this is what i thought prob just stay with what i have...might go with the altima rotors and z32 brackets tho...that sounds like a resonable option
Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
get harsher rear brake pads, easiest way to solve your brake balance problem.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Purp240
Leaky Injector

^^^ good idea
Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My old vg30et s13 coupe aka "dookie brown i hate you all, die" car had stock brakes, brembo rotors and generic ceramic advanced auto pads. All of the brakes did what i wanted. I guess it just varies from car to car. On this s14, the rear brakes are absolute dogshit. The fronts? i've locked them up a few times. Rears? I get nothing. Handbrake just says "fuck you, clutch kick like a man or no skids"

Pads probably make all the difference in the world. These cars are like people. Every single one is going to behave differently. Crustibat may be onto something. Pads are going to be the cheapest/easiest/fastest solution to getting shit done.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Since you've stated you have the smaller BMC, that would also mean you have the smaller booster as well. A rather simple upgrade is to swap to the S14 auto components. Larger BMC and booster. However, since the brake bias is regulated through the BMC, the only way to truly get what you're looking for is a Z32 BMC and the rear brake setup.

I have my original S14 Auto booster/BMC and have absolutely zero issues with my Wilwood/Z32 setup.