Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Jon-S14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jon-S14 is making a name for him/her selfJon-S14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gorilla, McGard, or Muteki lug nuts?

I bought some wheels for my car and I'm trying to decide over which brand of lug nuts to buy. I wanted to know which of the three brands is the best one? I've done some searches on forums and no one has really done a comparison between the three. I'm goin for closed end type. So if you have any experience with any of the three listed, please tell me what your thoughts about them are, thanks.

Gorilla Tuner SD's
McGard Spline Drives
Muteki's

Here is a picture of my wheel. Feel free if you have any suggestions (length, color, style) on which lug nuts to get.

Jon-S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I haven't had experience with either sets of lugs, but prepare to get a ton of opinions from people about the quality of the muteki's
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
TUnity2
Zilvia Junkie

TUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of light
i have had the SAME set of mcgard spline drives since i was 17, i am now 22. they are still chrome and shiney, the built on washers still are not siezed and the thread are still perfect.

so yeah, i would recommend those.
TUnity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
I have McGard. They work just fine for me.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
muteki's =meh mine the paint on mine started to peel after about 5 months.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for closed end, then any one of those you mentioned will work. Just remember, McGuard and Gorilla are both here in the US, so if you were missing a locking lug nut key or something, you just have to call them and you can repurchase one (I had to do this with a set of Gorilla locking lug nuts before).

However, when I was looking for lug nuts, McGuard and Gorilla's open end ones were like $80+ from Summit, so I said screw it and bought Muteki's, since I haven't had any problems with them, and they're spline drive, so a little more secure than just plain Jane 6 sided lug nuts.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
ellisonrox
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
ellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i've been running mutekis for almost half a year now.. no problems so far, but i don't really take my wheels on and off that often
ellisonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
However, when I was looking for lug nuts, McGuard and Gorilla's open end ones were like $80+ from Summit, so I said screw it and bought Muteki's, since I haven't had any problems with them, and they're spline drive, so a little more secure than just plain Jane 6 sided lug nuts.
hmm, we have open ended Gorilla SDs for $29. We use them especially with the ARP studs, no problems, and they're pretty light.
kuah@splparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
i got mutekis i like them for how much they cost and havent shipped yet sr48 i think
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
i have the muteki open ended ones. been running them for about 6 months now, with lots of wheel changes etc, but the paint is still fine.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hmm, we have open ended Gorilla SDs for $29. We use them especially with the ARP studs, no problems, and they're pretty light.
Do you guys have M12x1.25 though?

Because that was one of the things, was that it was hard to find M12x1.25 open ended lug nuts that weren't like $80+ on Summit Racing's website.

I figured that they'd have a lot of selection, but I guess I'm wrong...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
specs on wheels.

I made my lugs out of dogwood.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
ZX88
Post Whore!

ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
oh and my mutekis for some reason fit really tight on my wheels if im not careful the paint on the wheels will scratch off. i need thinner lugs :/
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
DMaxUSA
Zilvia Junkie

DMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond repute
I personally like the Kic's lugnuts + lock because they have the swivel seat on the bottom so that it doesnt gouge your wheel.

dmax-us.com
DMaxUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have muteki open ends and they work great after 2 years of abuse.. I take them on and off all the time. Remember to your use antiseize on your lugs and any thing should work fine.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
ZX88
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxUSA View Post
I personally like the Kic's lugnuts + lock because they have the swivel seat on the bottom so that it doesnt gouge your wheel.

definitly a good idea esspecially if you running expensive wheels and need to remove them alot. kics are pricey thou :/
Old 10-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
zaquanh
Zilvia FREAK!

zaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxUSA View Post

these are good but are expensive but i would def get kics over anything

, i juss got a set of gurilla at discount for 20 bucks

i got the ones on the top left , very nice
zaquanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
i ran the greddy ones. just be careful. you have to use deep sockets to ensure you dont bend them. since they are aluminum. and we all know not to use power tools on lug nuts right?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Do you guys have M12x1.25 though?
yes we do
kuah@splparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #20
Flipzide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
Flipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I use the Gorilla Tuner lug nuts...

Tracked em for over a year and haven't had a problem since.

D-Street.net | bcuison.wordpress.com
Flipzide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #21
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I would say use either of the Gorillas or the McGards.

The cheaper Muteki's have shitty wheel keys and tend to strip/crack if you're lazy and use impact guns.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #22
meaniez

meaniez is an unknown quantity at this point
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I have muteki open ends and they work great after 2 years of abuse.. I take them on and off all the time. Remember to your use antiseize on your lugs and any thing should work fine.
"

antiseize does help prevent some corrosion but careful: using antiseize on wheel studs makes it easier for wheel lugs to be overtorqued.
meaniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #23
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've been using the exact same setup on my MBs without any problems so far.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaniez View Post
""

antiseize does help prevent some corrosion but careful: using antiseize on wheel studs makes it easier for wheel lugs to be overtorqued.
Hmm...

80 ft-lbs is 80 ft-lbs, doesn't matter if you put jizz on the studs, mayo, honey, or anti-seize.

Please explain your logic?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #25
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
when are people gonna stop getting the generic tuner lug nuts?

they suck.. I can remove them with nothing more than a oversized socket and hammer.

the keys are readily available everywhere anways.. shit I have one in my toolbox and I don't even have the lugs.

you may as well get some generic lug nuts.. because they offer no security
Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #26
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
If you HAVE to choose out of those three, McGard.

But you should just buy Kic's.

They are the bee's knee's!

Shit how can you buy AME's and NOT buy real lug nuts?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #27
n33sanz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
n33sanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey guys, are the Gorilla and mcgard sockets to get the lugz off the same?
Also, what size socket is our lugs? if they are say the mcgards...... 13/16th?
n33sanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #28
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
I have Muteki's on my S14, haven't had a single problem out of them either. I only use an impact tool when removing lug nuts, and install them by hand then torque. I'm very particular about that. I know. I'm weird.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #29
discoelk
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
discoelk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Hmm...

80 ft-lbs is 80 ft-lbs, doesn't matter if you put jizz on the studs, mayo, honey, or anti-seize.

Please explain your logic?
Actually it does.

Bolted joint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reduce the friction in the threads and you increase the torque that can be applied to the wrench to get the same reading. Thus, creating higher stress in the threads.
discoelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #30
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Husband has been using his Muteki open ends for 3 years now w/o a problem and takes them off and on ALLLLL the time.

I had the SR48s in the Neo Chrome and absolutely hated them. The way they fit into my wheels wasn't great and a couple stripped out on me. I wouldn't go back.

Currently Running some Rays inverted lugs with my new wheels.

One thing my friends up north have dealt with is cheaper lugs will rust with in the winter time so you may want to consider what they are made of, especially if you go with open ends.