Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Isn't that how blu808 does it? Cutting off the roof is hardcore. haha.
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #32
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice cages, keep the pics coming im loving the ideas!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #33
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Cutting holes in the floor directly under where the cage is supposed to be mounted TO the floor is an extraordinarily terrible and un-safe idea.
Except that's how it is very commonly done.
Building a Roll Cage

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #34
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Cutting holes in the floor directly under where the cage is supposed to be mounted TO the floor is an extraordinarily terrible and un-safe idea.

Now is this just another one of YOUR IDEAS or is this some factual info that you can provide evidence of?

I've spoken with fairly hardcore cage builders who are more than happy to cut a hole in the floor to get a PROPER FITTING cage. So seriously, do you have any evidence of this other than your opinion... Like quotes from REAL cage builders saying this? Untill then, i call bullshit.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #35
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Now now.

If you were retarded and were planning to just weld the hoop to the floor, then yes it might be a bad idea to cut a hole there.

If you are like any sensible fabricator you would know that the floor has about the same strength as a lunch box.

It is fine to cut a hole in the floor in order to lower the cage and get to the joints up top for proper welding. Assuming you are going to be plating and boxing the hoops mounting area in properly with 1/8" plate after the cage has been lifted back up.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #36
eDmSiL80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
eDmSiL80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
heres some of the progress pics

custom seat rails.

my teammate stevey boys cage.

eDmSiL80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Or you can take it outside the car........

scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #38
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
OK, heres my geuss on cages, i havent read anything outside this thread, nor do i know much about making one. I would say making a cage indepently boxed in, welded into the car is one way to do it. The floor keeps it in place, not so much for strenth. Or cant you weld it into the frame? The places that i see where the welds are on the floor, are directly in contact with the frame, is that right?I see jeep guys cut the floor to get to the frame.- Either way thats my 2cents i dunno shit. They all look great.I just love seeing ppl cut the roof off, seems to makes since if your wanting really good welds and easy to paint.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #39
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
so we got the cages in whats the weight factor anyone weigh their cars after they got it done? just wanna see numbers if neone has any. very very good work dudes lets see some more!
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #40
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
That is correct. However our cars do not have a frame to weld too. That is why you must box it into a major bulkhead.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #41
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
That's how it's done with offroad trucks - minus Cherokees, which are like most cars and the 240 - unibodies. There is no 'frame' in the traditional sense.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #42
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
unibody.... im sleepy. Yea i know that, the places where folks are placing gussets is really strong, multiply (six ply?) steel.And the strut towers=super strong. But no actual frame under it. Got it.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #43
DeadlyZ33
Leaky Injector

DeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really niceDeadlyZ33 is just really nice
That cage is really sick but why did Pro Fab have to advertise on your shit?
DeadlyZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 AM   #44
gotta240
Post Whore!

gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Read Blu808's reply before spreading more bullshit please.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #45
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Now now.

If you were retarded and were planning to just weld the hoop to the floor, then yes it might be a bad idea to cut a hole there.

If you are like any sensible fabricator you would know that the floor has about the same strength as a lunch box.

It is fine to cut a hole in the floor in order to lower the cage and get to the joints up top for proper welding. Assuming you are going to be plating and boxing the hoops mounting area in properly with 1/8" plate after the cage has been lifted back up.
Huh, I've haven't heard of that before. You know I trust your opinion on fabrication of pretty much anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
Read Blu808's reply before spreading more bullshit please.
Relax nancy, nobody is perfect. YOU included!
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #46
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Maybe its a southern thing but all the 8-9 second domestic guys around my place cut a hole in the floor, drop it through to weld the top of the cage, then lift it back up. They then weld the floor plate over small hole and weld the cage to the plates. Then they get underneath, patch the metal so it wont gather moisture and voila!

Scott
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #47
blu808
Post Whore!

racepar1: yea no biggie man. :-)
Old 09-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #48
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Maybe its a southern thing but all the 8-9 second domestic guys around my place cut a hole in the floor, drop it through to weld the top of the cage, then lift it back up. They then weld the floor plate over small hole and weld the cage to the plates. Then they get underneath, patch the metal so it wont gather moisture and voila!

Scott
It's more or less of preference and the spec the cage is built to for most installs. For most people it's easier to cut a hole in the thin piece of steel that we call a floor pan use that to get desired fitment then it is to cut off the roof like some people do. If you think about it, cutting a hole into the floor and then replacing it with an even stronger piece of sheet metal sounds better than just welding to the floor. Really, at the end of the day who the hell cares how a cage got in their car as long as it's safe, meets spec, and is cost effective.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #49
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

^^^ werd
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #50
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
So for Justin's cage, it doesn't fit perfectly, it could definitely be better. The part of the main hoop that is above the harness bar and goes into the horizontal part at the roof isn't that far away, but it could be closer. But it's a compromise, you could have a cage that fits up against all the body panels, but then you spend as much time cutting parts out and welding them back in so you can weld all around the tubes that it ends up being not worth it. I also think that I was making the distance between the center of the two top bends on the main hoop a little closer to each other than I do now when I did that cage.

But it's strong, it fits pretty well and there's a ton of room for the driver, which I think it more important than having a tube 1/2" closer to the body. But also, my cages are always evolving, I am always finding different and better ways to do things, to make things fit better, to make them easier to weld, etc. I'm still very happy with how Justin's cage came out, the main hoop could be a little tighter and I could've done something a little different with the bends in the halo, but that's just nitpicking. You hardly even notice the cage when you're driving the car or even getting in and out. It's not intrusive or in the way, but you know it's there and strong.

I tend to leave a little room around points that are going to be in tight corners if possible. If you can't get a good weld all the way around the tube, then there is no point of even putting it there. On my cages, it's mostly the lower points that are tucked a little in. So the bottom of the main hoop and bottom of the a-pillar bars are pushed a little away from the wall so that I can get in there and make sure everything is strong. But I have been pushing the middle bend closer to the body than before. So now I put the location where the harness bar bolts up and where the dash bar goes across against the walls of the chassis.

With some of the cages I've seen that have bars with "perfect" fitment, I've noticed some that aren't even welded all the way around. Or there is some half-assed, make it look like it's welded crap going on. I just don't trust stuff like that.

It's definitely possible to get perfect fitment, but it depends on your process and how much time you really want to put into it. Cutting the roof off is one of the things that I would love to start doing, but people won't want to pay for it. There are also some other tricks that could be done to get bars in tighter spots, but again, it would get expensive labor wise. I wish I could have someone walk in and give me a blank check and tell me to hide the cage in the unibody. It would be awesome, but it's not going to happen.

As for the holes in the floor. I don't like them. It's not that it isn't a way to do it, but I just have some problems with it. It goes back to the way I design my cages. I'm real anal about everything being where I want it to and being symmetric, so I do things a little differently.

But if you cut holes, it's fine, just make sure to seal underneath the car after you weld the base plates on. And put a little thought into the base plates, but that goes for all cages. Just one flat pieces of metal welded to the thin metal of the floor isn't going to help spread the load as well as a single piece of metal with bends and welded to both horizontal and vertical parts of the chassis. You don't have to go crazy with it, but at least a little something more in good in most spots.

But I have a ton of pics in my gallery of the cages that I've done.
TIP Roll Cages

I haven't posted up some of the more recent work, but hopefully I'll make some more progress on my brother's supra soon and then I'll put pics of that up.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #51
gotta240
Post Whore!

Great reply. Very informative.

Thanks!

Edit. Since you know your shit....

I will be buying ONE die for the trikes "build it yourself" bender. What die to you recommend? 90, 180? 6 inch bend or 7 inch bend?

Last edited by gotta240; 09-03-2008 at 10:29 PM..
Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #52
blu808
Post Whore!

180 dies are always nice. You can def get by with just a 90, but its always nice to know you can go all the way.

I use 5.5 and 6 " CLR dies. keep in mind the tighter the radius, the harder it is to bend. Also you run into material thickness limitations if you go too tight.

I would stick with 6" or 5.5" CLR. Anything tighter seems to be unnecessary.

Just my 2 cents.
Luke
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #53
gotta240
Post Whore!

Great. Will deff. go with the 6" 180degree then. I was planning on using 1 3/4 90 wall DOM. Any reason to use something different for a stock weight s14?

Also, any advice/opinions on dimple dies? IE: most common size used and do i need to go top of the line or can i just get the cheaper ones since i'm only doing a few cages a year?

Thanks for your reply/expertise
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #54
blu808
Post Whore!

I like to use 1.5 x .120 or .125 dom in my cars 240s/rx-7s.

Reason being is that it smaller, takes up less room, and is easier to get the tubing out of the drivers way (head), which if your tall 6ft+ really makes a difference with head room.

1 3/4" is cool, but I think it just looks too big in our cars, and looks like it belongs on a off road truck, or rock crawlers.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #55
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Umm, not if you have a good penetrating weld.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #56
Volchok
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
Volchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to beholdVolchok is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Volchok
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95drifto View Post
Umm, not if you have a good penetrating weld.
your like a week late with that comment...read the thread before posting...
Volchok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #57
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchok View Post
your like a week late with that comment...read the thread before posting...
I know it was posted a week ago.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #58
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Here is mine, done by Jacobson Motorsports

Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #59
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

^
You're car is so sick!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #60
alexander500
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I just finished this rear half cage for an auto-cross guy in his Civic hatchback:

alexander500 is offline   Reply With Quote