Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #91
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This build is cool - but why is it taking so long

I tt swapped my z in less than a month and rebuilt many items along the way, suspension/brakes/engine/turbos/ etc

The patience you have to keep at it over so much time is something that I do not have.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #92
Bluejayde
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm enjoying this build! What's your beef with the GKTech pieces?
Bluejayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #93
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood View Post

I tt swapped my z in less than a month and rebuilt many items along the way, suspension/brakes/engine/turbos/ etc

The patience you have to keep at it over so much time is something that I do not have.
Well I'm a mixture or busy and lazy. I'd love to have been able to complete the car a year ago, but with the pace I'm moving at it allows me to buy the parts I really want and means the end product will be exactly what I envisioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejayde View Post
I'm enjoying this build! What's your beef with the GKTech pieces?
Their adjusters are fucking awful, the design is decent, but their tolerances are garbage. Both of my RUCA's had to be clamped to a bench so I could use a long extension to have enough leverage to forcefully thread them together. The bolts that are used to clamp the adjusters all take excessive force to tighten down as well, not what I expected for brand new arms... The eccentric lockout seems nice though and the V4 traction rods are significantly better overall, but still take some force to thread together.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #94
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood View Post

.......Because swapping a non TT engine into a Z, is not as simple as "rebuilding" and dropping in and go. Its like every single non OEM engine swap into another chassis; there is a shit down of minor nuisances which add up to months and months very quickly
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #95
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
.......Because swapping a non TT engine into a Z, is not as simple as "rebuilding" and dropping in and go. Its like every single non OEM engine swap into another chassis; there is a shit down of minor nuisances which add up to months and months very quickly
There is a lot that goes into the swap for sure, but honestly I've just been lazy. What I accomplished last weekend I could have done a year ago

I do have a lot of stuff I haven't posted about for the car, I haven't been idle for all this time, its always in the back of my head. When the time comes to drop the engine in I'll show off all of the other little goodies that will make this whole setup come together
Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 PM   #96
tb13
Zilvia Addict

The car is back on the ground and rolling again. Huge shout out to 2_Liter_Turbo for his time and help getting the car back to my house. Absolutly love the Panasports on this car, its exactly the look I was going for with the car. Gotta wash it and get back to work on the swap.

Cleaned up the SR's coolant necks with some scotch brite, tossed a Nismo thermostat in, new OEM water pump, and bolted everything together with new hardware. Nothing exciting, but making sure everything is proper is high on my priority list.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:24 AM   #97
SidewaySSS

Trader Rating: (0)
SidewaySSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking absolutely perfect with the Panas on. Can’t wait for it to run.
SidewaySSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #98
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaySSS View Post
Looking absolutely perfect with the Panas on. Can’t wait for it to run.
You're telling me, with the car in my garage I should be able to get shit done way faster.

I installed my wheel last night, looks so much better than the beat OEM wheel I pulled out. Don't mind the leaves, I haven't had a chance to clean the car up yet...

Following my little rant about GKTech I ordered SPL rear arms and outer tie rods. Figured I'd just go all out, wallet hurts, but I am happy

Garage will get cleaned up tomorrow then it'll be time to get the rear suspension completely sorted!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #99
SidewaySSS

I’m speechless, the attention to detail is mind boggling, you definitely know what you like & want, then you make it happen, really awesome.
That TOMEI wheel is a gem that sets off the mid 90’s plastic dash perfectly.
I’m currently in the process of building a 500hp FJ20ET into my 510 & draw inspiration from this build, thanks. As soon as the FJ510 build is done, I start my next build, a SR22vet/VQ box into a Datsun 710. Your project gives me the drive to take my time & get it perfect.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:16 AM   #100
Wknd

Wknd is an unknown quantity at this point
That tire and wheel combo is perfect, everything else related to this car really.
Wknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #101
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaySSS View Post
I’m speechless, the attention to detail is mind boggling, you definitely know what you like & want, then you make it happen, really awesome.
That TOMEI wheel is a gem that sets off the mid 90’s plastic dash perfectly.
I’m currently in the process of building a 500hp FJ20ET into my 510 & draw inspiration from this build, thanks. As soon as the FJ510 build is done, I start my next build, a SR22vet/VQ box into a Datsun 710. Your project gives me the drive to take my time & get it perfect.
Do it once and do it right! The Tomei wheel keeps everything somewhat period correct which was another focus of mine for the car, I think it fits perfectly.

A 710 with an SR22VE sounds like a rocket ship/death trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknd View Post
That tire and wheel combo is perfect, everything else related to this car really.
Thanks! I am beyond happy with the overall look and its not even close to complete

Boring update number 1,428, I put my axles back together with fresh boots and new grease. Lets hope they hold up...

Also found someone to hopefully take care of fab work for me, once thats all done I'll finally be able to drop the engine in and dress it up
Old 04-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #102
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Straight balling!

Dollar dollar bills!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #103
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Car is off to Bad Apple Motorsports for fab work as of today, finally on the last stretch to get this thing back on the road!

Did a little bit of mockup before the car was off to get all of the fab work done, decided midmount was the way to go. Keeping all of the coolers stacked will keep everything as efficient as possible which for Arizona summers will be a big plus. Along with efficiency for cooling, the intercooler piping is going to be incredibly short, response is going to be incredible!

I installed my TT steering rack and SPL outer tie rods, the OE inners were basically part of the rack, but with some leverage and the proper tools they gave way. The Z33 inners I bought are too damn short, so those need to be swapped again, but for now it will be okay to roll around.

I also tried to install a Voodoo13 steering bushing and the linakge stud/bolts decided to kill themselves.

Got a care package from ATP thanks to my bud Juan aka Bardabe with all of the goodies to get the SR breathing right. Some nice cast 90*s will come off the intercooler to simplify everything and another off the compressor housing to get the air going the right way. Exhaust will be all custom with proper male/female vbands holding it all together for easy install/removal and no leaks.

Finally cleaned the car up too, looks a million times better not covered in an inch of dust and crap. She needs a good detail, but the paint still looks great overall.

The guys from Badapple Motorsports picked the car up from me today, they are going to be taking care of all of the fab work. Huge shout out to them for the tow and help, can't wait to see everything come together and finally get the car running with its new heart

Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #104
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Its been a while, haven't had much motivation recently due to a few things going on, but I haven't forgotten about this car.

Fab work to get the car running is complete! Intake, intercooler piping, intercooler mounting, full exhaust, custom fan shroud and some other little things. Opted to mid mount the intercooler, entire cooling setup is very stealth and fits great. Left the wastegate to dump to atmosphere, not sure if I'll leave it like this, but I want to hear it scream at least for a while Dual Spal 13in fans on a custom shroud should to the trick paired with a Koyo N-Flow to keep coolant temps happy. Also had a -10an fitting welded to the PS return so everything can be connected with clean/simple AN lines.

I had posted about K-Series coils a while back, was planning to use them, but without the capabilities to build a bracket I decided to pick up a Taarks R35 coil conversion kit. I haven't seen much about this kit, but the price is really reasonable so I pulled the trigger. Interesting to see how the front coil is modified to fit. Their site claims these coils use a custom stalk, but from that I can see these are original stalks? This kit will not clear a coil pack cover, if anyone was curious.

While I was ordering bits from Taarks I snagged a PS relocation bracket too. Since I abandoned the ability to have A/C with mid mounting my intercooler I figured I should move the PS pump to a more appealing location. Cleaned up the pump and slapped it on. Need to get a fresh pulley mounted up and clean up my alternator next.

Quite some time ago I went to replace my exhaust studs, the stock SR studs are known to be garbage and prone to snapping so I wanted to get ahead of this. I started from the back of the engine, 7 studs came out without issue and the last snapped off... I was really annoyed and stressed about it, basically pushed the engine into a corner and hadn't touched it since. With the car back from having some fab work done I figured I'd try to resolve this issue.

I didn't want to risk some junk extractor snapping in the bolt so I grabbed a Snap-on left hand drill bit, bolt extractor and punch. Rolled the engine onto its side and got crackin', I let some PB Blaster sit on the bolt for a bit before I started to hopefully help loosen it up a bit. Used the punch to give myself a somewhat centered starting point and drilled slow. The bit paired with some lubricant went through with ease, extractor snagged the both with no issue and it came out with a little bit for force. Huge weight lifted off out my shoulders. I know this seems like such a small issue, but it was really something I wasn't looking forward to dealing with knowing it could lead to other issues if I messed it up.

With that out of the way I threw the last Mazworx stud in and took and stepped away in victory

I have quite a few boxes filled with other cool shit to install, hopefully next weekend I can put some real work in and actually progress on getting the car back together
Old 06-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #105
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Brock, not original stalks. The original GTR stalks are not only shorter, they only accept the long skinny 12 mm spark plug.

The S15 boot is the closest, however the length is incorrect. Just about all Nissan coil pack boots can be swapped around with varying levels of success

I'm also running the coil kit. Couple of notes
The inner boot is somewhat brittle (pm me and we chat and I'll send pics)

PS great progress!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #106
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Brock, not original stalks. The original GTR stalks are not only shorter, they only accept the long skinny 12 mm spark plug.

The S15 boot is the closest, however the length is incorrect. Just about all Nissan coil pack boots can be swapped around with varying levels of success

I'm also running the coil kit. Couple of notes
The inner boot is somewhat brittle (pm me and we chat and I'll send pics)

PS great progress!
Ah I completely forgot about the GT-R using a 12mm plug. Thanks for the info and pictures regarding the boots, I'll make sure to be overly careful when handling the coils ahaha.

The rear suspension arms have all been swapped over to SPL parts as well. Really love the adjusters on these arms, they are unmatched in quality and durability.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #107
spitfiredc7

Trader Rating: (1)
spitfiredc7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good shit dude, just read this front to back haha

Let me know on that Fuel Sender
Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #108
EF_jaycee
Leaky Injector

EF_jaycee is an unknown quantity at this point
this build gave me an entire new perspective on the z32 chassis, super clean!

Last edited by EF_jaycee; 06-25-2019 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: missing letters
EF_jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #109
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfiredc7 View Post
Good shit dude, just read this front to back haha

Let me know on that Fuel Sender
Thanks man! Once its done you'll probably see it around

You've had an account on here since 2007 with 3 whole posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_jaycee View Post
this build gave me an entire new perspective on the z32 chassis, super clean!
While I don't suggest anyone undertaking an in-depth swap on a Z32 due to lack of support, they are very solid chassis to modify. It is a really underrated chassis, partly because most Z32 owners prefer to keep their cars as "pure" or close to how they came from the factory. I guess I'm not one of them, this chassis deserves better than a heavy V6 weighing the front down!
Old 06-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #110
SidewaySSS

I totally agree, they are not as heavy as people might think, I’m waiting with bated breath for your car to hit the black top.
What are your completion goals, or rather, when would you like to see it done?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #111
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
I just read through all of the thread as well. I really like what you're doing with and am curious as to what the final curb weight of it turns out to be.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #112
tb13
Zilvia Addict

WAAAHOO BACK FOR 2020, oh wait I don't really have any real updates...

Pulled my SR out of the corner and mounted my freshly ceramic coated turbine housing, manifold, downpipe and screamer. Wasn't really feeling black or silver Cerakote for this. Powder coater told me he had some titanium so I decided to go that route, really happy with how it came out. Also threw on a Taarks PS relocation and rebuilt my pump with a KA rebuild kit

Finally go around to building a crank case breather as well. I opted to drop a Sianar Motorsports AN breather tube into the block when the engine was assembled to let me build a proper AN breather. Looks fantastic and won't rattle out like the OE tube.

Hopefully I can get back to working on this more, I really want to finish it this year
Old 02-14-2020, 04:42 AM   #113
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I'm digging this!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #114
austinth0rnt0n

austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Love the build man, keep up the awesome work! You have me contemplating putting an SR in my z31.
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #115
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Looking real good
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #116
spitfiredc7

spitfiredc7 is an unknown quantity at this point
bump for MOAR UPDATEZ.
spitfiredc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:03 PM   #117
tb13
Zilvia Addict

^^ Thanks dudes! Here is another little update!

I hope everyone is hanging in there through all of this insanity. With not being able to do anything I might actually finish this project

Rolled the SR out of the corner to get the intake manifold mounted up finally. Cleaned it up a bit then dug for the bag of new OEM hardware I bought years ago for this engine. Fresh studs, nuts, washers and bolts along with an OEM gasket, and to finish it off a new red Greddy badge.

Next order was to get the turbo coolant/oil lines figured out. Got a load of goodies from Phenix Industries thanks to the homie Bardabe. Since the turbo is so damn small making everything fit took some time to work out, but this should work. Need to get some proper heat sleeve for the lines still, but I can do that once its closer to running. Also ripped the OEM hard fuel lines off, moved them to the passenger side and fitted up some 5/16 to -6 adapters.

Finally got the engine off its stand and bolted my OSG twin disk up with some ARP flywheel bolts. Transmission got a Z33 clutch fork, chromoly pivot ball and new springs. Need to grab my trans and check throwout bearing clearances, but from the OSG catalog it looks like Z32 and S13 both use the same throwout sleeve so I should be good to drop the engine in by the end of the week!

Old 03-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #118
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Fuego Babbyyy!!
Old 03-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #119
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
it looks like Z32 and S13 both use the same throwout sleeve
The stock s13 sleeve is too long for the OgGiken twin disc. It should use a 16-18mm sleeve, unless what you meant was the z32 sleeve is shorter and fits within the OsG spec for their s13 clutch.

Also make sure you have the right throw out bearing for the clutch, it uses a smaller diameter contact area. Oem part is off an old datsun 720 pickup. Part number is on OsG documents.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #120
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Fuego Babbyyy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
The stock s13 sleeve is too long for the OgGiken twin disc. It should use a 16-18mm sleeve, unless what you meant was the z32 sleeve is shorter and fits within the OsG spec for their s13 clutch.

Also make sure you have the right throw out bearing for the clutch, it uses a smaller diameter contact area. Oem part is off an old datsun 720 pickup. Part number is on OsG documents.
I've got the sleeve that comes with the S13 kit from OSG, probably should have mentioned that, their chart shows the same size used for Z32. I've got the correct throwout bearing so I should be set there.