Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
sil80forme
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
sil80forme can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sil80forme
big prob with my newly installed 96 dohc after 1/8 mile run

ok i recently got a 96 ka24de w120k, and installed in my 89 coupe. i had her in for about 3 weeks runnin great, well my buddy decided to take his car to the local 1/8 mile drag strip so of course i wanted to join him, well the problems all started on the way. while on the 45 min trip to the strip i realized i have no limiter or speed limiter just kept on goin, i got the speedo to go just under completely vertical, well while racing my buddies integra i shifted from 5th to 2nd (not quite used to the shorty shifter) well there was a slpit second that it went in 2nd and made a real loud noise before i got the clutch in, well the rest of the ride was fine no grinding no noises, everything was aok. well anyway i had a total of 5 runs, all pretty consistent, goin from the first run of 9.62 too my last run of 9.33. so anyway i get to where my buddy was parked and i rev her up and there is this horrible noise so i quickly shut her off and let her cool down, i prayed to god it didnt spin another bearing, well anyway i started her up bought 30 min later and nuthin at idle then at bought 3500 rpm's theres this rattle noise , deffinily not rod knock, so i thought maybe timing chain guide. so i pulled cover off right there, everything from up top was good, well i was 45 min away and wasnt bought to pay for a tow truck so we started our venture home, for the first 10mins of the way home as long as i didnt go over 3500rpms it was good then the noise just disapeared. welll i eventually get home and the main street where my buddies house is the nosie came back when i downshifted, but now was very very loud and i could feel vibrating on the clutch pedal and shifter, so i put her on some ramps and listened as my friend reved her up. the noise was absolutly horrible from under the car, kinda like a mix of whinning and clunking well i had my buddy turn it off and as the motor shut down there was this banging noise from the back of the motor like somethin was in the oil pan or bell houseing, well anyway i get her home and as i am backin into my driveway the noise gets louder and the clutch pedal starts to lose presure, i had my clutch to the floor and the car was starting to turn off and finally stalled, so i strted it back up with clutch to the floor and the car jolted as i turned the key. soo my thoughts on this deal are that either i completly destroyed the brand new stock clutch and or really messed up the trans. at first i thought i might or thrown a rod but i also figured that if it were a thrown rod that it would run as well as she does, minus the noise motor seems strong. tommorrow i am goin to drop trans and take a look at the clutch, and look at the input/output which ever u call it and see if it is ok. i was thinkin bought when i removed the trans and clutch, then goin to start the car and listen for any noises from motor with out the trans on, will this be ok to do soo. cause if its a thrown rod i give up and someone can have the car, just gotta pick her up. so i hope someone can give me some input on my prob, thanx and hope to hear from someone soon, ps sorry for being so long but i thought be better to give all the details. thanx again
sil80forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
what does it do if you start it in neutral?

any weerd sounds etc?
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
sil80forme
Zilvia Junkie

well originally it back a noise when first startin up, then at idle went away but now at start up it doesnt do anything tilll its reved up
Old 04-18-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
c0axiL
Leaky Injector

c0axiL is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to c0axiL
s13

damn. did you check the throw out bearing and the clutch/transmission fork?
c0axiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
nissan_driver24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
nissan_driver24 will become famous soon enoughnissan_driver24 will become famous soon enoughnissan_driver24 will become famous soon enoughnissan_driver24 will become famous soon enoughnissan_driver24 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nissan_driver24
to me it sounds like a drivetrain problem... most likely a clutch problem, u did say u heard some noise from the bell housing... good luck on this
Old 04-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
sil80forme
Zilvia Junkie

well i figured out my big prob and fixed it, my stupid (lazy ass) decided i didnt need locktite on the flywheel bolts, and well they all came at least a 1/4 of an inch out, and the old pilot bearing i didnt replace was rediculously worn, to where it fit over my entire index fingure, so i got a torqu wrench and pilot bearing puller and fixed the problem, wow what a day! thanx