Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Baggy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Baggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help with Car blowing smoke!

Black top S13 SR20det stock internals and Metal headgasket

It lets out a little white/grey smoke out of the exhaust during idle not a ton but a little and puffs out more when starting the car up on a cold start. The car then doesnt smoke as much when driving at warmer temps. It then will only start smoking again when pushing the car hard and blows out smoke again only during shifts or releasing gas after boosting.

First we thought it was the turbo, and because I had a brand new tomei turbo sitting in box, we swapped it out for it along with new tomei exhaust mani, tomei turbo elbow, New testpipe, new downpipe, and tanabe exhaust. Car was still smoking..

I had my head done (Tomei cams, retainers, valve springs.. etc..) new valve stems and valve cover gasket.

Car was tuned each time we changed something out with Power FC djetro. Car runs strong. Did a leakdown test, and compression test and the numbers were solid across the board and even. So we assume it cant be the rings.

At this point the smoking has improved to not as much as before, but still smokes. Can anyone with experience point me in the right direction of what might be the issue? or is this normal?

The tune is solid, A/F is solid 12 across the power band, smooth and strong pull when turbo is at full boost and i have had no issues with the car since purchasing it from previous owner in Mid 2014.

its not super frustrating as lately i tend to just ignore it, but I am curious to know what could be causing it?

My previous Sr20det powered cars that were also stock with just bolt ons similar to this one, never smoked like this, only when under max load.

Any insight is much appreciated!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I'm having the same issue and on the cusp of changing my turbo... I have a KA-T so I'm curious to see what others say as well.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
a few suggestions,

1. valve seals installed wrong
2. restricter fitting at turbo is wrong size
3. pcv/vacuum failure is sucking oil from crank case
4. oil drain for turbo is wrong/blocked

You need to find out what the smoke is (is it oil?) and see if any is inside the combustion chamber (do the plugs get oil on them. Do the top of the pistons look oily. Is the exhaust manifold / outlet coated in soot from burning oil before the turbo - or do you see it after the turbo). Or do you find it in the intake/intercooler/pre-turbo.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote