Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Touge Factory K-series Swap Kit

Just thought you guys might be interested in knowing about this if you don't and/or talking about it! Touge Factory has just released their K-series swap kit for S13/14/15. I had the pleasure of building them an engine harness and rewiring the power management on their S14 time attack car. Really cool stuff if you ask me!

The swap uses a BMW ZF transmission and adapter plate. Pictured below is the modified oil pan that was built and tested after the initial shakedown that Hoonigan attended.

Some of the harness I built, which they'll be releasing as part of the kit soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEn66fxkoFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWKspve-dF8

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That wire harness looks amazing. you did some great work
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Definitely interested in this kit.

Those subframe spacers look way thinner than the ones Speed Academy used for their K swap, so I'm guessing it won't really effect geometry that badly?

Also, it would be nice to know if A/C is going to be a possibility.
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Cool.

I get that K series are more abundant and cheaper but the initial up front cost (Motor, swap parts, sourcing the e36 transmission, standalone ecu, etc) to even do this to an s chassis kinda defeats that argument.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
K series to the world!!!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So what are the typical engine management options for the K-Series? Anything Plug and Play? Or just whatever you want and a custom made harness.

I'd really love to do a K24 with a garret G25-550. Just seems like it would be a LOT of money. Yeah the long block is cheap, but literally everything else has to be custom/aftermarket.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
^^What if Touge Factory ends up offering a bolt-on turbo kit (honestly can't remember if they are, or not)?
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So what are the typical engine management options for the K-Series? Anything Plug and Play? Or just whatever you want and a custom made harness.

I'd really love to do a K24 with a garret G25-550. Just seems like it would be a LOT of money. Yeah the long block is cheap, but literally everything else has to be custom/aftermarket.
hondata, ktuner, aem, etc, etc i'm assuming the tf kit will have that sorted when it comes out. they're releasing the kit in three phases. there is much more info and parts to come.

yeah initial investment is high, but if you grenade a motor (as long as it isn't built) it's only gonna set you back a few hundred dollars instead of a few grand for a comparably-powered sr or ka.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^even than the initial price compared to the k miata kits a few years back is super low.... whenever i get my setup running and craps the bed this is def the way to go.....
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeyes221 View Post
That wire harness looks amazing. you did some great work
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
Definitely interested in this kit.

Those subframe spacers look way thinner than the ones Speed Academy used for their K swap, so I'm guessing it won't really effect geometry that badly?

Also, it would be nice to know if A/C is going to be a possibility.
Yeah that’s because the custom oil pan allows the engine to sit much lower. I don’t think the S14 even runs them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Cool.

I get that K series are more abundant and cheaper but the initial up front cost (Motor, swap parts, sourcing the e36 transmission, standalone ecu, etc) to even do this to an s chassis kinda defeats that argument.
It’s probably the most capable swap per dollar spent. Standalone ecu is not needed. None of the parts are that expensive besides the aftermarket components you’d be buying for any other engine.

Quote:

The S14 runs stock ecu with K-pro. I’m fairly certain TF is going to offer a bolt on top mount v-band turbo kit. I honestly think an NA K24 with intake manifold, header, and cams would be a blast. So simple!

Old 11-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
RedSled
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow harness really bess
Can you build a harness for me ?
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Cool.

Check out TFs ks14 on dyno. Changed my opinion in a hurry lol
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #13
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
I'd really love to do a K24 with a garret G25-550.
THIS.

I am definitely going to consider this swap. I agree with the initial investment being high, but 450+whp from a bone stock longblock is very inviting.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #14
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Someone add up all the K-Swap parts on TF's website and post the total cost. I'm too lazy.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Man this is awesome. Friend is putting a K24 in his FD RX7 and im super excited.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Someone add up all the K-Swap parts on TF's website and post the total cost. I'm too lazy.
Super ballpark figures

K24 - $600
ZF 5spd - $500
TF Kit - $1700
Custom DS - $600
Harness - $1000
Clutch - $600?
Misc shit - $500?
Header - $750?
kpro - $800

so roughly $7k for a NA variant of this swap. A turbo setup will definitely rock that up.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #17
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Turbo kit - factor in another 2-4K considering the need for fuel as well.

Also, because there is always the "forgot this" factor; add another $1000 to your $500 for miscellaneous shit.

So for a cool $10K, you are balls deep into a turbo K20/K24 swap.

So about the cost of a proper VET setup. Or about 1-2K more than a garden variety VET swap (which also includes a CD009 and building up from a bare block).

Bare SR block with cam caps, crank, oil pan, etc - $400
VE head - $4-$700
VE valvetrain and/or N1 cams
- Valvetrain - 800
N1 cams - 450 new shipped
- Machine work for block - $800-1K
- Forged internals - 1000
- swap miscellaneous - $1000
- Turbo kit - 2K
- IM - 500
Injectors - 500
CD009 swap and kit - 2K
ECU - 1K

So for a cool 12K you are also into a VET swap.

10-12K for a stock K24 with a turbo kit than can be had in the junkyard for 500 if blown up or 10K for a VET that drops right in with all the parts necessary at your disposal to run AC/PS, etc but close to 1-2K if blown up. However plenty of parts still available either way.

I guess pick you poison??
Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You are also talking LS swap price range too, not that I'm a fanboy or anything.

We had a 2006 Accord with the k24, super reliable engine. Went 100k miles with only oil changes, a PS pump, a starter, and failed vtec solenoid at the end. We bought that car new and it was totaled when someone rear ended my mother.

I'm very interested in the true max limit on what the stock block can actually hold reliably. I see some people hit high numbers on the dyno but for how long.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #19
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Meh. A LS swap (atleast for my intended purposes) requires addressing the oiling system, which adds several more thousands to the price. I also love me some turbo and a powerband that extends out from 3500 - 8500RPM. Also, keeps the engine bay accessible.

LS, K-series or VET all comes down to preference
Old 11-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #20
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
This!

For a dedicated drift car I would definitely consider the K24. The reliability of the k series and what its capable of in stock trim is fantastic. Humble performance has a video up on Youtube of a 600+whp pass with a stock internal k24a4. I can agree that we won't know how itll hold up to the abuse of drifting but the drag racing guys have been using these engines for well over quite some time with huge success.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #21
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

I'd really love to do a K24 with a garret G25-550.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
THIS.

I am definitely going to consider this swap. I agree with the initial investment being high, but 450+whp from a bone stock longblock is very inviting.
Honestly, on a stock block car, the G25 is too small. Not only will it choke the top end, but the stock rods aren't going to allow you to run the massive torque hit you're thinking you want. I think you'd be surprised how well the K24 spools turbos. The TF works car has a very LS-style powerband, and they run a v-band Precision 6062 turbo. Something that size is going to be a lot better for a stock block car, where you want to keep the torque around 400ft/lbs and flat to redline so the power keeps climbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Meh. A LS swap (atleast for my intended purposes) requires addressing the oiling system, which adds several more thousands to the price. I also love me some turbo and a powerband that extends out from 3500 - 8500RPM. Also, keeps the engine bay accessible.

Yep, K-series provides the fattest powerband for the smallest coin IMHO.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Awesome power plant.
Awesome looking swap kit.
Fantastic looking harness.

Hopefully this drives the price of KA's back down!
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #23
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Honestly, on a stock block car, the G25 is too small. Not only will it choke the top end, but the stock rods aren't going to allow you to run the massive torque hit you're thinking you want. I think you'd be surprised how well the K24 spools turbos. The TF works car has a very LS-style powerband, and they run a v-band Precision 6062 turbo. Something that size is going to be a lot better for a stock block car, where you want to keep the torque around 400ft/lbs and flat to redline so the power keeps climbing.
Interesting. Is there a dyno graph available? I figured it might loose some steam up top with a 550.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #24
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

NO power band. Just simply flow dynamics as the K series heads flow so well.

It's akin to putting a single GTX2871 on a LS1 or 13BREW. It will be out of "flow" right off idle.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #25
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
10k makes my nissan sound like a civic....ill pass
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I guess it didn't cross my mind that the turbo could come on TOO fast and be a problem with stock bottom end.

I wish precision still made the 5252 turbo. Maybe too small still..

Yeah, everything for the K swap seems priced reasonably but still super easy to hit 10 grand on a finished 400hp turbo/swap... Fml. Stick with a 2871r sr20 setup for half lol.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #27
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I guess it didn't cross my mind that the turbo could come on TOO fast and be a problem with stock bottom end.

I wish precision still made the 5252 turbo. Maybe too small still..

Yeah, everything for the K swap seems priced reasonably but still super easy to hit 10 grand on a finished 400hp turbo/swap... Fml. Stick with a 2871r sr20 setup for half lol.
Yeah the 5858 is the smallest I would go to be honest. Something like a Borgwarner S257SXE in a 1.00 housing would also be pretty awesome. The smallest efr I would run would be 7163. Xonarotor also makes a 6157s that might be cool.

Half the cost for half the powerband

Old 11-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #28
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ Yeah, IMHO "oh man, it doesn't make x amount of HP! Or doesn't bolt in!" is very 1 dimensional. A EFR 7163 on paper making 400HP sounds comparable to a DET at the same level from strictly a HP standpoint. However, boost recovery, drivability, reliability (lower PR for same power) etc all factor into why a VET with a 7163 is light years better than a bog standard DET with a 2871 although they both technically make the same power

Same can be said for a K series into a 240. It's not just about power or being able to be bolted up

Sorry TheReal, not trying to be a dick, just my opinion

K series the world!!!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #29
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Yeah the 5858 is the smallest I would go to be honest. Something like a Borgwarner S257SXE in a 1.00 housing would also be pretty awesome. The smallest efr I would run would be 7163. Xonarotor also makes a 6157s that might be cool.

Half the cost for half the powerband
An S257SXE/K24 would be an incredible bang for the buck combo.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #30
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
with the civic comment...what is the current civic engine code? a lot of those are factory turbo...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote