Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
The Official Garrett G25 Turbo Talk (550/660)

I am not sure if you guys are aware but it appears Garrett released a new line of turbos in a T28 housing. It appears these turbos are meant for 1.4-3.0 liter engines and can produce 550/660 horsepower. Maybe this might be a replacement for the gt2871r and want to know what you guys think. Like how they come with a v-band setup but it appears, these turbos are simply made for top mount manifolds. Has anyone here have or plan to purchase this turbo for their build?

G25-550:
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...series-g25-550

G25-660:
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...series-g25-660
Old 06-27-2018, 11:45 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I remember back when they released the 'amazing' gt25r or whatever that supported 350bhp. now like ten years later its double?! I think that is a good benchmark for where we have gone from.

wow
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...?itok=lfA7K_bA

This one on a 2.0 looks pretty amazing.
07psi would take you to 300rwhp
15psi ""390rwhp
21psi ""430rwhp close to max output

A good street setup with a little N2O fogger and E85 or methanol would put that 2.0 over 500whp on most dyno
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
1on1
Post Whore!

1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
yea, their new line up is pretty nuts. Small form-factor turbos that produce high hp. My concern is because I saw the videos from Adam LZ and Monky London, and it caught my interest.

Adam LZ (G25-550):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLmNd8CWvGo?t=364

Monky London (G25-660):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1eCmJh_UME?t=436
Old 06-28-2018, 01:58 AM   #4
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have been waiting for feedback on these for quite some time now. Thing is, between pricing and lack of availability, it looks like not many people buy them.

And i do not feel like being a guinea pig for that kind of money. So... still waiting. i'd go with a g25 550 on a 1.8L engine, target is around 450whp with some room on e85 with headwork, solid lifters and cams among other things. I'd like to go bottom mount though.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
I am curious about these. I have been more than happy with my GTX2863, coming from a GT2871. I can't imagine what this feels like.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
this is a great idea...im curious as the super charger guys found out that they are good til a point then they make no power I was told the speed of sound as it sucks no more air...but will be good to find out if this is legit!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
they should let me beta test the larger one. if I can get 500whp on 91 octane, at 18psi, I'd be a happy camper. Hopefully they'll release more info and pricing soon

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
1on1
Post Whore!

I can't wait for updates from either youtubers until they tune their cars. I am wondering if this would be a nice replacement for a stock sr20det with slight mods (retune, z32, and 740cc).
Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 AM   #9
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
they should let me beta test the larger one. if I can get 500whp on 91 octane, at 18psi, I'd be a happy camper. Hopefully they'll release more info and pricing soon
for fun
It doesn't really matter how much boost once the turbo has enough capacity. It matters how much RPM you spin the engine.

For example say you limited rpm to 6000. Well no matter how much "bigger and better" the turbo gets, even the best turbo in the world at 18psi is not going to touch 500whp with a 2.0L engine.
Ex math,
122x6000/3456 = 211CFM * 0.069 = 14.6lb/min * (2.22) = 320 horsepower without drivetrain losses.

So now lets take a 2.0L engine at 7psi with a "very efficient turbo" except this time we spin the engine to 9,800rpm

122x9800/3456 = 345.9 * .069 = 23.87lb/min * 1.5 = 358bhp

So less boost, more power, because more rpm.

but you knew that.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:18 AM   #10
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
One of the local tuners here in CO did a STi with g25-660. 501whp @26psi with e85. I could imagine this spooling better and making better power on a different 4cyl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoem4Gv06ec
Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 AM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
for fun
It doesn't really matter how much boost once the turbo has enough capacity. It matters how much RPM you spin the engine.

So less boost, more power, because more rpm.

but you knew that.
Very true! But thank you for taking the time to demonstrate WHY it works out this way!

Quote:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd love to see one perform on a pump gas KA.

Wish E85 was more available in my area, cause I'd turn my 3076 to the fuckin moon

However, these are a seriously fucking stout turbo for a T2 frame.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'd love to see one perform on a pump gas KA.

Wish E85 was more available in my area, cause I'd turn my 3076 to the fuckin moon

However, these are a seriously fucking stout turbo for a T2 frame.
yeah, def with the added displacement of a KA over an SR, the torque curve with the 660 would be fatty!

Quote:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Doesn't it get to a point where the small T2 turbine wheel and housing become too restrictive?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Doesn't it get to a point where the small T2 turbine wheel and housing become too restrictive?
Yes, but this is a prime example of how manufacturers raising the bar of efficiency.
Most people upgrade before maxing a turbo out, anyways. 450 on a T2 framed turbo is stout. The fact that 500+ is even possible speaks volumes.

When most people think of 500HP they think of something like a 3076. Companies releasing a smaller turbo that is more efficient is the coolest thing.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
One of the local tuners here in CO did a STi with g25-660. 501whp @26psi with e85. I could imagine this spooling better and making better power on a different 4cyl.
Ej's are so difficult to make power on. I would love to see this turbo bolted up to a k24 or something similar.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote