Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
S15 SR turbo manifold vs. S13 mani

Do the later OEM SR turbo manifolds like the S15 one flow more than the S13 OEM SR20DET turbo manifold?

Not looking to use a tubular manifold.

Search is down right now, so no bitching if this has already been covered.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
I believe they are same..
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
I believe they are same..
Pretty much. But nobody really has any flow numbers to prove this. There may have been small improvements in the casting process but I highly doubt it. Probably a lot cheaper to go with the same design on the exhaust side to save some money in production.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
Probably a lot cheaper to go with the same design on the exhaust side to save some money in production.
+1 for sure
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
S13SILVIA|E46M3
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
S13SILVIA|E46M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
These pics probably won't help much. They are the closes comparison pics I could find...
S15

S13

S15

Couldn't find a non S15 mani port shot.
Hope these Help.....

S13 SR|G37|E46 Wagon|X5 35d
S13SILVIA|E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
I can spot a few minor differences, but yea, it does look pretty similar. I remember hearing many years ago S14+ manifolds flowed more, but like so much info back then, it was probably just something somebody pulled out of their ass.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
The S14/15 manifold looks like it has a really long number 1 runner like the tomei manifold. Where the s13 looks like it's broken up and more like a log manifold. But I'm pretty sure they flow the same.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
airhead
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
airhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
just ordered a s15 mani going to replace it with my aftermarket mani.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
just ordered a s15 mani going to replace it with my aftermarket mani.
you ordered an s15 manifold and are going to replace it with an aftermarket manifold. Did you read what you typed before hitting submit?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I heard that they flowed a little bit better but wow at 2 posts above me lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
well his screen name is in fact Airhead....
Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #12
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Survival of the fittest at its best lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #13
airhead
Nissanaholic!

airhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her self
lol i just caught that i was laying in bed when i typed that
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

How does that justify what you typed lol?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
airhead
Nissanaholic!

Ill be replacing the weakass china made aftermarket manifold with a S15 manifold
Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #16
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

So then you did mean what you originally typed?
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
yup......lol

unless you have one laying around,. i dnt see this being an upgrade to justify spending the money
Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
what's that, next to the short runner on the s15 mani
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I've heard they flow a little better also but don't have any facts, It would be cool if they did cause I have a s15 Sr and will probably be sticking with stock manifold when I upgrade turbos due to it being cast, a little extra flow would be a nice addition.

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team DET View Post
what's that, next to the short runner on the s15 mani
Looks like a blind hole that was intended for EGR.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take a look at this ebay link and in particular, pay attention to the exhaust manifold photos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251766101229

I always thought that the S14/S15 exhaust manifolds had an EGR port provision, but it does not appear to be the case. Looks like it goes to the valve cover guys for blow by. I was under the impression that a 1-way valve was required to do that.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Take a look at this ebay link and in particular, pay attention to the exhaust manifold photos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251766101229

I always thought that the S14/S15 exhaust manifolds had an EGR port provision, but it does not appear to be the case. Looks like it goes to the valve cover guys for blow by. I was under the impression that a 1-way valve was required to do that.
The EGR is only on the EU spec 200SX S14. The JDM S14's didn't have EGR.

I have the JDM and UK FSMs. Also have a Kouki S14SR with no EGR provision.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #23
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
OK, that makes sense. I looked at my 1994 S14 Silvia FSM and attached a photo, looks like that IS for an EGR port after all. I compared that with the S15 FSM and it doesnt show an EGR provision at all.

Its the angle that makes it confusing, because when you look at the photo it looks like that "blowby hose" connects to the exhaust manifold, I was scratching my head.

I wonder what variable dictates whether or not the vehicle was equipped with an EGR or not. Maybe UK market requires it for smog? It does not appear that the Japan market cars had them. ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenCap0001.jpg (113.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
Agent S14
Zilvia Member

Agent S14 is making a name for him/her selfAgent S14 is making a name for him/her self
so a S15 SR turbo manifold is better than a tomei or megan racing turbo manifold?
Agent S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #25
Def
Post Whore!

I have an S15 SR20DET - no EGR on the engine. It didn't come with the stock manifold though.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent S14 View Post
so a S15 SR turbo manifold is better than a tomei or megan racing turbo manifold?
Yes much better!
Go buy one!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I have an S15 SR20DET - no EGR on the engine. It didn't come with the stock manifold though.

I have a complete S15 motor with S15 turbo manifold. That nipple on the manifold is for a egr but not all were drilled and tapped for a egr. My doesn't have a egr.
To my understanding the S15 flows slightly better as the runners are slightly bigger. If you intend to port it real good this doesn't really matter much.
The S15 also supposedly has a higher Inconel content than the cheaper S13 manifold.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #28
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
The S15 also supposedly has a higher Inconel content than the cheaper S13 manifold.
uh oh... here we go again with that magic word. :-)

i have both manifolds, i didnt notice anything special or different about either of them.

but, i will be pulling the manifold (again) from my non working museum piece of an s13 and re-drill the manifold for m10 hardware. i'll snap photos and inspect both so that we can see if there are any visible differences.

by the way, do any of the mods or admins here have the ability to increase my storage capacity for attachments? ive been a member (forever) and it would be nice if i can increase the storage. i've uploaded so many photos over the years that i am near my max.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #29
Agent S14
Zilvia Member

Agent S14 is making a name for him/her selfAgent S14 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
Yes much better!
Go buy one!
I have an s15 motor with s15 oem turbo manifold I just find it hard to believe .
Agent S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
the s15 manifolds are usually much prettier and less rusted.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote