Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
ALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ALTRNTV
What happens when you give a 16year old a 240sx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian newspaper
Monday, December 10, 2007

EDMONTON - Barbara Wellensiek knew her son's insurance bill would be steep because of his driving record, but when the renewal notice arrived she was shocked to see the annual premium was $104,566.63.

"I thought it was a typo," Wellensiek said today. "I didn't panic - I thought it was a mistake."

When she phoned her insurance broker, Access Insurance Group, she got confirmation that the figure on the notice was accurate, the rate having been hiked from $1,300 per month.

"I just about fainted - how could this be?"

She calculated that her son, Janson Towers, would have to work full-time all year and earn $55 per hour just to pay his auto insurance premium.

Towers has all the factors going against him that add up to a high premium, even under the new grid system brought in when auto insurance reforms took effect in 2004.

He's 19, and has a "tendency to speed," Wellensiek said.

He got his first car at age 16. His licence was suspended twice. Since May 2005 he has received 10 speeding tickets, and has been in two minor "fender benders" and a rear-ender that totalled his car.

Though the insurance industry has complained that the grid system rewards bad drivers, an insurer could charge even more.

When the details of Towers' driving record were put into the auto insurance rate calculator on the provincial government website, the maximum allowable charge that came out was $122,727.42 per year.

Wellensiek went to another insurance company, Morgex, which quoted her $50,000 for a premium on her son's Nissan 240.

She has chipped in on his premiums before because of his need for a car. He has been playing junior football in Kelowna, taking physiotherapy because of football injuries, working part-time and is about to start attending Okanagan College.

But there's no way the family can afford $50,000.

"If he can't drive, I'm sure he'll accept it. He'll just have to wait until the convictions fall off."

Towers said he's moving permanently to British Columbia and is optimistic he can insure his car there for about the same rate he was paying in Alberta last year. If that doesn't work out, he'll have to ride his bike.

"I'd rather buy a house than pay that ($104,000)," he said.

He's still shocked by the invoice, and says that most of the speeding tickets clocked him going just a few kilometres per hour over the limit.

Alison Gates-Kriston, spokeswoman for Alberta Finance, said there are three factors on the insurance rate grid: number of years of driving, accident claims and convictions.

"Your grid rating is a reflection of your driving record," Gates-Kriston said. "It's the driver's decision as to whether they want to be insured or whether they want to stop driving."

An official with Access Insurance Group, which quoted the $104,566.63 premium, said the company can't comment because of privacy legislation.

Michael Debolt, government affairs manager for the Alberta office of the Insurance Bureau of Canada, was surprised by the amount of the premiums allowed under the grid rules, but said his industry is still opposed to capping rates under the grid system.

"We don't believe in the grid at all - we believe an individual's insurance premiums should reflect the risk they carry," he said.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
tunerzimage
Zilvia Addict

tunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond reputetunerzimage has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tunerzimage
Wow.......104k are they serious?!?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hmm dam scum shouldnt drive anymore we dont need them on our roads... but eventually this kid will drive without insurance and make it alot worse...

hmm reminds me of my friend... lost his license.. too many back payments due on tickets.. had a 240sx did stupid shit... and now drives illegally cuz he cant afford it.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
My parents are always on my back about why my insurance is $70 a month with a clean record while theirs on a Chevrolet Malibu is $20 and they've been in a couple fender benders. They can't believe it's because I'm 19 and I drive a "sporty" car. They find it outrageous about how it's legal for insurance companies to be prejudiced against drivers and car models like that, as if they knew who is going to get into a wreck, obviously it's all about money. That kid is definitely a stupid idiot, but at the same time do insurance companies seriously expect a regular person to pay 104K$? Insurance companies are just a bunch of thieves, a huge portion of your earnings goes to them every month, and then when normal people actually need their insurance company for once after paying them for years, you have trouble getting them to pay for anything, and you just go through a lot of hassle dealing with them. Think about all the months you paid for insurance and didn't get in any wrecks, you might as well have flushed that money down the toilet. The U.S. insurance system is completely worthless, I wonder what kind of an idiot came up with it, and clearly the Canadian system isn't any better. It's not like the insurance company pays for your lawyer or fine when you get a speeding ticket, people should be punished by tickets, jail time, and suspended licenses, not by ridiculous insurance charges.

Last edited by Matej; 12-12-2007 at 01:54 AM..
Old 12-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
DRavenS13
Nissanaholic!

Location: Where angels (and most pizza delivery people) fear to tread.
DRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfection
It's people like that who drive like idiots with our cars, and then the rest of the responsible drivers have to add ricer fees to our insurance too.

FAIL, damn irresponsible teenagers, FAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14Josh View Post
seeing old people give you the finger is like winning the lottery...you still can't believe it happened 4 weeks afterwards.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
Tops*
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Tops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I hate this Janson Towers kid already. Why do MY rates have to go up just because I'm young and drive a "2-door coupe." Even if I have a clean record and get good grades, I still get screwed over by people like Janson. What a system...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

Trader Rating: (4)
S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wow...that is insane! All it will do is drive ppl to get behind the wheel without being insured!

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
hustlervibes
Banned from the Marketplace

hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
WOW! I thought my insurance was high on my S2000 ($400+ a month) but $104k, that's just insane. But he did mess up...a lot. But I definetly agree with simpleS14 in that they charge more for coupes or "sporty cars" I can understand more if the car costs more in general because of liability issues but just because a car may be faster than another is stereotyping.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
brings a whole new meaning to pay to play.

Better get that bus pass yo
Old 12-12-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13SilviaGirl View Post
wow...that is insane! All it will do is drive ppl to get behind the wheel without being insured!
I agree.

I got quoted like $500+ per month on a 2003 WRX. lol...
Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #11
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
HAHA...and i thought $200per month for my 240 was a lot.

well..its is...but not That bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #12
89dc240
Zilvia Junkie

89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough
Phew, I'd probably drive off a cliff if my insurance was that much.

So long fair world, can't afford to drive anymore, and it's not because of gas...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 AM   #13
muddafakka
Zilvia FREAK!

muddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
That kid is definitely a stupid idiot, but at the same time do insurance companies seriously expect a regular person to pay 104K$? Insurance companies are just a bunch of thieves, a huge portion of your earnings goes to them every month, and then when normal people actually need their insurance company for once after paying them for years, you have trouble getting them to pay for anything, and you just go through a lot of hassle dealing with them. Think about all the months you paid for insurance and didn't get in any wrecks, you might as well have flushed that money down the toilet. The U.S. insurance system is completely worthless, I wonder what kind of an idiot came up with it, and clearly the Canadian system isn't any better. It's not like the insurance company pays for your lawyer or fine when you get a speeding ticket, people should be punished by tickets, jail time, and suspended licenses, not by ridiculous insurance charges.
+56347636845646854865385456884568
Old 12-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
full house
Leaky Injector

full house is on a distinguished road
hahaha!!! That girl would be lucky by the way how she looks it . . .

lol
Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
... They can't believe it's because I'm 19 and I drive a "sporty" car....
240sx, sporty car? Am I missing something here?
I don't think you can even use those in the same sentence hahaha lawlzor
Old 12-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #16
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I bet he'll start a "KA vs. SR" thread soon.
Something about this kid screams "Zilvia newb"

*edit*
Did ANYONE notice that this was in Canadia and not the US?

And I write too!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #17
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
"She has chipped in on his premiums before because of his need for a car. He has been playing junior football in Kelowna, taking physiotherapy because of football injuries, working part-time and is about to start attending Okanagan College." Boo-hoo, make him ride a fucking Huffy because this...

Quote:
He got his first car at age 16. His licence was suspended twice. Since May 2005 he has received 10 speeding tickets, and has been in two minor "fender benders" and a rear-ender that totalled his car.
...is inexcusable. A $104,000 premium is a pretty crooked way of punishing him (extortion, basically), but shit. Get off the road.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #18
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by full house View Post
hahaha!!! That girl would be lucky by the way how she looks it . . .

lol
huh???????????

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #19
j4d3_h4v0k
Zilvia Member

Location: a town that doesn't even warrant a dot on the map, so cal
Trader Rating: (1)
j4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of lightj4d3_h4v0k is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to j4d3_h4v0k
yeah that one lost me too.
but its kids like this why insurance for young male drivers especially in sportier cars is insanely overpriced
Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
that fucker lives in canada

who cares about canadian insurance?

it sucks and it doesnt effect me one bit.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #21
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
I do care about Canadian Insurance... but hey! That's 240's man!!

My S2K costs me 1000$ a year for full coverage..
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
0wn3r
Zilvia Addict

0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of
Averaging 1 accident and 3 tickets & letsay a warning per year, yeah, I'd say that's a pretty fair price. Say this kid hits you, well damages and lawsuits could easily be 300K. If insurance charged him even 5K per year, that would still take them 60 years to get back, NOT including interest.

I'd say it's pretty fair and a good lesson to teach him. He's lucky he hasn't killed himself, his friends, or others yet.

When I got my 240 a few years back Metlife quoted me over 8K. I was told by an insurance agent in the family that the 240 (at least a kouki) is rated closer to a Mercedes than a Honda.

For instance, say a Honda is a scale of 10, whereas a Mercedes is a 26...well the 240 was a 22.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #23
2ilvia
Zilvia Addict

2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore2ilvia is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0wn3r View Post
I'd say it's pretty fair and a good lesson to teach him.
well since he doesnt HAVE to pay it, then theres no lesson learnt

he should ride a motorcyle, he'll obviously crash it and death himself, and we'll be happy
Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #24
Captain_Ron80
Leaky Injector

Captain_Ron80 is making a name for him/her selfCaptain_Ron80 is making a name for him/her self
7 years ago I was paying $250/mo for low end liability on my 240. It sure got me to slow the F down. It wasn't me it was the car! They just like to go fast :-) I have to hold it back like a galloping horse and say "Whoooooa 240!"
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
even after a street racing ticket all i payed was 150 a month. now i pay 65 a month
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #26
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
Blame Canada, eh?
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #27
SiI40sx
BANNED

SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SiI40sx
Cant you just have the minimum put aside and NOT have insurance? Because the minimum coverage is like 30k or something for california correct? Cant you just give the DMV 30k to put aside and drive??
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #28
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i've had 23 tickets (24?) and i pay 130/mo on my CL for full coverage with a $500 deductible. kid's doing something wrong.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #29
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Peter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
240sx, sporty car? Am I missing something here?
I don't think you can even use those in the same sentence hahaha lawlzor
The 240sx is a budget sports coupe, its not a fwd economy car. The car comes stock with a tow hook.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #30
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_North View Post
The 240sx is a budget sports coupe, its not a fwd economy car. The car comes stock with a tow hook.
all cars have tow hooks. all of them.