Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
steveff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
steveff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another z32 brake swap question

Anybody know if you can get away without using the z32 rear brake shoe set up for a parking brake?
I snagged a set of calipers and didn't grab the knuckle/hub/etc. because they were all busted up. Are there other ways of running an e-brake with the z32 rear brakes , similar to the stock 240sx brake set up, without running a hydraulic hand brake to the calipers? I know I need the z32 lines but I'm mainly talking about actually making it clamp down without the shoe assembly.

Haven't been able to find the answers i've been looking for.
-Steve
steveff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You can splice z32 rear part of ebrake cables to the 240 front portions. Not sure if this is what youre asking
Or buy an r33 cable
Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
steveff
Zilvia Member

The z32 e brake is a shoe assembly, I don't believe it has anything to do with the caliper. I don't have the shoe assembly. I'm just wondering what the other options are- if there are any.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
only way would be to use a Line lock for the rear calipers.

you cannot use a S-chassis Ebrake cable on the rear Z32 calipers
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
steveff
Zilvia Member

I know I cant use the s chassis cables. I'm wondering if I can get away without using the drum brake from the z32. But from the looks of it, I can't get around it without a hydro
Old 03-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You can use rear Z32 brakes without the parking brake drum assembly.

You will not have a parking brake.

Utilizing the main hydraulic brake system to function as a parking brake is not reccomended.

In order to have a parking brake, use Z32 parking brake drum assembly and R33 cables.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
steveff
Zilvia Member

That's what I figured. running a hydro brake into the rear brake lines would work too, no? Or is that sketchy as fuck? I've seen a good amount of DIYs doing it that way without any issues
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
would you trust it to hold your car on a steep incline?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
steveff
Zilvia Member

I mean in theory, if hydros lock the wheels consistently for drifting, I would assume it'd lock harder than the factory brake cables......... or am I way off? Especially considering z32 brakes are larger than the factory s13 brakes
Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #10
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your right, but overtime the hydraulic system can loose pressure. That's not safe for parking without being in gear, and or wheels pointed incorrectly on hills.

Get a dual caliper bracket, mount the stockers and your z32's. you might have to modify the pads or find bigger cable driven rear caliper. Or just source the ebrake essembly from a z32 etc.

From a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
steveff
Zilvia Member

Probably going that route. Might as well go all out the first time. Dual caliper rear and 350z track rotor up front.

Anybody selling a set of z32 rears???
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Snoop long time brother!

Steve- First and foremost, I'm all about helping people get their cars to STOP and HANDLE before adding power & killing themselves and others around lol...

To employ the KISS concept is a beautiful thing. Easiest, most asspain-free way to go is get:

1. A set of Z32/R32/R33 rear calipers
2. A set of Z32 rear ebrakes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300ZX-Z32-TT...5c9c4d&vxp=mtr
3. A set of Z32 rear rotors
4. Whichever set of Ebrake cables fits your application: http://www.frsport.com/index.php?tar...q=ebrake+cable
5. A set of ebrake cable adapter brackets... You can also make them with a couple small pieces of metal and a drill/dremel.

Mike
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sup, Mike :thumbup:

From a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote