Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
xawazuya

Trader Rating: (0)
xawazuya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240 or 350 as weekend racer?

Alright so I've just joined this forum looking for fact-based expertise and not cool dude opinions - I used to race a BMW E30, weekends only, had it set up for track but only did auto-cross. I sold it and now, years later, I'm itching to get back into it but looking at a Japanese car this time. There are 2 options I have right now (based on what's available within a few hours of me) - this will sound crazy but I want to spend as little as possible TOTAL but also do as little work as possible (find something with the work already done). I have 2 top contenders right now (excluding another BMW I've got my eye on).

-1996 240sx - this car already has some performance upgrades including wheels/tires, suspension, but most importantly it's got the JDM RB25DET swapped into it. BUT IT DOESN'T CURRENTLY RUN. I've had very little luck communicating with the seller over email so I have no details on how long it's been sitting/not running or what he's done or knows about it. What is a fair condition 240sx with the RB25DET swap worth to you guys (as the experts since Nissan is new to me) - both running and not running (note - I am NOT interested in drifting, only a weekend autox and track car). Guy wants $5K for it as is, needs a hood, windshield, and mainly to get the motor running (miles on the JDM motor and chassis are both unknown)

-2003 350z - Car is stock with only 147K on it (lower miles compared to some other models I've considered - remember, cost is a consideration so I'm stuck with higher miles); Generally this car looks good, has a little body damage but is stock (so no performance upgrades) - this guy wants $4000

Both sellers are listed as "OBO" so I am going into the situation assuming I can negotiate WAY down on the 240 since it doesn't run and that I have a little room on the 350z.

What do you guys think about these two options based on what I've noted above?

NOW - assuming I can buy the 240 for less than $3000 (which will require me figuring out what is needed to get it to run before I spend a single cent or that I can buy the 350z for $3000-3500, which would you guys choose? I go back and forth on which is the better total package - the 240 has a great motor but I worry that maintenance and repairs will be difficult to source parts for quickly since it's a JDM swap BUT the 350z has no upgrades so it may be limited in performance when it comes to the track unless I shell out more money. Thoughts? Please help!
xawazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You should get a Veloster.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
honestly neither of those sound like good options.

IMO a rx8 would be much better bang for the buck

or a FRS/BRZ

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Out of those two, I'd probably lean towards the Z more.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
How much do you like having money?

That is the true question tobe asked
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The 240sx sounds like too much work and a money pit, also I would stay away from the 350z with that many miles. I'd find a nice fwd honda... something B or K swapped for that price range. I'd rather have a clean fwd car then a beat pos rwd car.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
loser101
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
loser101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to loser101
I would take a stock car over a modified one especially with a JDM engine swap. If you need parts for the RB they will probably be expensive and have a longer lead time.

One thing the s14 has going to for it is consumables it will use less tire and brakes due to it being lighter but now sure how big the difference will really be.

All being said, I do love tracking my s14 its a pretty fun chassis.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Whatever your budget is, double it.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
honestly neither of those sound like good options.

IMO a rx8 would be much better bang for the buck

or a FRS/BRZ
RX8's still exist?

350z is better. will likely have a lot less initial problems
I highly doubt youll get the 240 owner down to 3k with an rb25 swap
you sound like you don't want to work on the car, so 240 is not a good fit for you especially a nonrunning car
Old 11-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Out of the two options, it should be the 350z, hands down. Newer car, newer technology, solid aftermarket.

The only reason to buy an s-chassis is simply because you like s-chassis.