Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do vented hoods actually work?

Do vented hoods actually bring down temperatures inside the engine bay? I'd like to keep my RB cooler since it is going to be the daily driver now and i'm wondering how effective vented hood actually are. Real data would be appreciated but i guess i will listen to fact-less opinions too...
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Think about it heat rises. Stock hood doesn't let it out vented hood does. I have an rb too and I've always rocked vented hoods. I don't have evidence but there was an issue of super street were they proped the back of the hood up and it was 10% cooler so imagine vents.
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
In theory yes
Do allot of companies just throw a vent on a hood without any R&D on how well it performs............yes
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yes. I dropped my coolant temps about 5-10 deg F depending on the day with a vented hood over the stock one on track. Seemed like less drag on long straights too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
+1, it will do wonders if you do a little bit of homework first.

While you're at it, maybe do some ducting of the air passing into and out of the radiator if possible. Very cool stuff once you get into it. (assuming you like somewhat technical things)
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Alright cool, thanks for the info. Interesting what Def said about less drag at high speeds, i would have never thought about that.

Guess its time to buy a vented hood.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
ROOSEY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
ROOSEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
correct me if im wrong but proping your stock hood up in the back can also help cool everything down. hence why lots of drift cars have them propped up in the back. it acts like a cowl hood. and it looks cool....or like youve gotten into an accident lol kinda like hat slideslidegnarslide said. its deffinitly more efficient with a vented hood depending on your budget of things
ROOSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSEY View Post
correct me if im wrong but proping your stock hood up in the back can also help cool everything down. hence why lots of drift cars have them propped up in the back. it acts like a cowl hood. and it looks cool....or like youve gotten into an accident lol
You're wrong. The base of the windshield is a high pressure area at speed. It will force MORE air into the high pressure underhood area.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You're wrong. The base of the windshield is a high pressure area at speed. It will force MORE air into the high pressure underhood area.
this is what ive heard from a lot of ppl that track their cars. however ive also heard (& speak from experience) that @ a stop, ie traffic light & 'pit stop areas'.... vented/raised hoods do help to allow hot air to escape from under the hood.
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboiblaze View Post
this is what ive heard from a lot of ppl that track their cars. however ive also heard (& speak from experience) that @ a stop, ie traffic light & 'pit stop areas'.... vented/raised hoods do help to allow hot air to escape from under the hood.
Just one question... how would an aerodynamic high pressure zone form at the base of your windshield when the car is NOT moving?

So yea, I guess it "vents heat" when you're stopped, but when do you want more cooling when your car is stopped and less when it's moving? Engine running hot as you're creeping to the local hard parking spot?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Yeah, it will let heat out when the car isn't moving. But, will force air in when moving. Fighting the air coming trough the radiator. I'm sure it works great for Drag and drift where you do a quick run and the radiator doesn't heat up. Then cool off in the pits.

Vents in the hood should be behind the radiator and in front of the engine. I have seen a ton of vented hoods for the 240sx over the coil packs or core support. Just because they look cooler there on the out side.

Also, mentioned earlier. Make sure you have a under tray/panel from the front bumper to the subframe/crossmember. As air enters the bumper it will look for the easiest way out. If there is no panel between the bumper and core support it will hit the FMIC/Radiator and go straight down. There is low pressure in the engine bay from the air rushing under it. If you block off the front half from the ground it will suck air through the radiator then out behind the subframe. No panel behind the radiator and you will get air coming up spoiling the low pressure zone.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
ROOSEY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
ROOSEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
well i learned something today thank you for the correction!
ROOSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
its like saying its hot in your car, you have no windows, theres a sunroof, if you open it, does it vent out the heat? lol
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
its like saying its hot in your car, you have no windows, theres a sunroof, if you open it, does it vent out the heat? lol
what is like saying that?

S14DB thanks for the info. I guess i'll start fabbing some cooling panels
Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
que?

vents should work, but DB explain it even more,
but basically what im saying

is you crack your sunroof cause its hot, thus letting the hot air vent out.

technically same as a vent on a hood.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
murderrsirenss
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
murderrsirenss will become famous soon enoughmurderrsirenss will become famous soon enoughmurderrsirenss will become famous soon enoughmurderrsirenss will become famous soon enoughmurderrsirenss will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to murderrsirenss Send a message via AIM to murderrsirenss Send a message via Yahoo to murderrsirenss
damn, learned a lot from reading this.
murderrsirenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Just one question... how would an aerodynamic high pressure zone form at the base of your windshield when the car is NOT moving?

So yea, I guess it "vents heat" when you're stopped, but when do you want more cooling when your car is stopped and less when it's moving? Engine running hot as you're creeping to the local hard parking spot?
'when do you want more cooling when your car is stopped' = in the shitty bumper to bumper traffic that LA and san diego provide us with, especially on hot days. im speaking in regards to a dd, non tracked car. on the highways/not in traffic/etc, the inrush of air through the radiator negates the 'base of the windshield' problem.
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
on the highways/not in traffic/etc, the inrush of air through the radiator negates the 'base of the windshield' problem.
No, it won't. The pressure in the cowl area is greater then the air in front of the radiator. The airflow through the radiator is reduced.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
With vented hood that high Preasure area wouldnt matter cause yOu have vents so propin may not work but this thread is about vented hoods and they clearly work
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
21Nemesis
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about21Nemesis has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 21Nemesis Send a message via MSN to 21Nemesis Send a message via Yahoo to 21Nemesis
Just make sure the vents aren't over any critical components, like the MAF or spark plugs. The vented hood I have, Seibon DV, has a vent directly over the MAF. During the rain, the MAF shorted out from all of the water that came into contact with it. However, I placed a make-shift cover underneath the hood that now protects the MAF.

(888) 611-1776
21Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

good point.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 AM   #22
DirtyMick

Trader Rating: (0)
DirtyMick is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I’ve been looking for a CF single vented hood for a while now and all I can find is the multi vent. I had one on my old s-3 back in the day. It was a D1 style with just one vent. I guess I could go with the multi vent to help my RB but I’m just not a fan of the others. Any ideas guys?
DirtyMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #23
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Hood vents work, but you have to make them work correctly, and direct airflow through them. Sealing off the underside, and providing correct ducting for airflow through the FMIC, Radiator, Oil cooler, etc...
Old 01-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #24
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMick View Post
I?ve been looking for a CF single vented hood for a while now and all I can find is the multi vent. I had one on my old s-3 back in the day. It was a D1 style with just one vent. I guess I could go with the multi vent to help my RB but I?m just not a fan of the others. Any ideas guys?
sI'm assuming you still have an s13 with pop ups?

VIS make 2 styles

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #25
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
As mentioned above, in order for them to function correctly, the components being vented must be sealed underneath and directed out said vent. I plan on cutting and 03’ cobra style vent into my hood behind the radiator and ducting that up and out.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #26
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
The second most mis-understood aspect of combustion engines besides PCV is heat flow.

The engine itself needs to be insulated. It should have thick, cast manifold, plastic intake insulation, blankets, exhaust wrap, coatings, shields, covers. The OEM does more and more of this as the years go on. The temp rise created by burning fuel is your $$$ from that fuel so to conserve the heat and insulate the engine/exhaust is to save money on fuel and get the most from the fuel in terms of shaft power.

Power plant engineering fundamentals always revolve around conserving heat, insulating the power plant, getting the most from the fuel.

If you start ripping that heat away by removing the exhaust wrap and removing the hood (extreme example) you are ruining the engine efficiency, lowering fuel economy and increasing the amount of fuel that needs to be sprayed by injectors to maintain the same temperature steady state.

Its like opening the cover on a propane grill, now you need to turn up the propane gas (fuel) to compensate.

Vented hoods can be used effectively in performance applications, but they should NEVER be used to directly cool an engine, or exhaust system. Those parts need insulation and to be wrapped up tight to conserve energy. Exhaust gas velocity increases as it warms up, it expands and takes up more space (it can move a turbine better at higher velocity, or move to the exit quicker) the hotter it gets.

If you need more info ask questions I dont wana make this into a huge long post
basically the engine bay should be kept cool by insulation, not a vent. Its okay to vent whatever is left but the vent should not be a first line defense.
The radiator needs to deal with the waste heat, and insulation makes sure that all the waste heat makes it to the radiator, and if the rad has trouble THEN you upgrade the radiator, fans, make sure the panels are intact and functional, and finally add a vent to help the radiator as needed.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:12 PM   #27
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The second most mis-understood aspect of combustion engines besides PCV is heat flow.

The engine itself needs to be insulated. It should have thick, cast manifold, plastic intake insulation, blankets, exhaust wrap, coatings, shields, covers. The OEM does more and more of this as the years go on. The temp rise created by burning fuel is your $$$ from that fuel so to conserve the heat and insulate the engine/exhaust is to save money on fuel and get the most from the fuel in terms of shaft power.

Power plant engineering fundamentals always revolve around conserving heat, insulating the power plant, getting the most from the fuel.

If you start ripping that heat away by removing the exhaust wrap and removing the hood (extreme example) you are ruining the engine efficiency, lowering fuel economy and increasing the amount of fuel that needs to be sprayed by injectors to maintain the same temperature steady state.

Its like opening the cover on a propane grill, now you need to turn up the propane gas (fuel) to compensate.

Vented hoods can be used effectively in performance applications, but they should NEVER be used to directly cool an engine, or exhaust system. Those parts need insulation and to be wrapped up tight to conserve energy. Exhaust gas velocity increases as it warms up, it expands and takes up more space (it can move a turbine better at higher velocity, or move to the exit quicker) the hotter it gets.

If you need more info ask questions I dont wana make this into a huge long post
basically the engine bay should be kept cool by insulation, not a vent. Its okay to vent whatever is left but the vent should not be a first line defense.
The radiator needs to deal with the waste heat, and insulation makes sure that all the waste heat makes it to the radiator, and if the rad has trouble THEN you upgrade the radiator, fans, make sure the panels are intact and functional, and finally add a vent to help the radiator as needed.
I dont know anything about you or your backround, but everything you just wrote made me feel so good about the choices i've made to build my car, and all the mods I've done during this off-season. Thanks lol
Old 08-10-2023, 07:32 AM   #28
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face

Love all this tech talk. Leaning heavy toward a TA style hood for kouki S14 front on my S13 vert.

I confess the reason was to lower the engine bay temps a bit. I do have my downpipe wrapped with DEI mummy material and a turbo blanket. The 1JZ is so long and my bay small that the dual electric fans fit one centimeter from the serpentine belt and I can't run a radiator shroud nor properly duct the waste post-radiator air up and out. My thought was that the low pressure area behind the rad would draw some warm air out. I do also like the look.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #29
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yes. I also noticed adding back undertrays and fender liners helped too. Basically keeping the factory ducting plus a hood vent = better cooling.
Folks often make the mistake of putting the vent too far back though. As close to the rad as possible is ideal.
Source: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Old 08-17-2023, 04:35 AM   #30
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Ryan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes they work.

They work even better if you can direct the air to them and are best served on ambient engine bay and cooling packs.

The area over the hood when you're moving is for all intents and purposes negative, so air is sucked out the hood.

But as has been said, ambient engine bay temps that are low are good, but engine components should be nice and hot.
Ryan_H is offline   Reply With Quote