Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Pergatory

Trader Rating: (0)
Pergatory is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Help me choose coilovers

I'm currently running a set of Whiteline Group 4 coilovers in my S13 DD. They are 5kg front, 4kg rear, and I'm pretty happy with them. If anything, I'd say they are actually a tad more stiff than I'd like, but they're almost perfect. The car hasn't had much else done to it aside from poly bushings in the control arms and a few other places to help cope with the extra stiffness.

Unfortunately, one of the dampers was damaged and I need to replace it. It looks like nobody sells these anymore... plus I was beginning to doubt their sturdiness even before I had one fail.

That being said, I've decided to just upgrade all four corners and toss out the Whiteline. Unfortunately I just haven't been watching the DD market since I was expecting to have these Whitelines for a while, so I have no idea what all is out there. I was looking at some Stance coilovers for my track car but they don't seem to have anything more street-like available.

Cost is not really an issue here. I expect to spend $1500-2000 but am willing to go higher if it's worth it. The car is a daily driver, but I do take it offroad as I'm a ham radio operator and volunteer at local rallies. So my perfect suspension would eliminate body roll without making me slow to a crawl over speed bumps and potholes.

Let the recommendations commence, and thanks in advance for any advice!
Pergatory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is a thread on coilovers, if you use search you will find it. It has anything you want to know about coilovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pergatory View Post
Cost is not really an issue here. I expect to spend $1500-2000 but am willing to go higher if it's worth it. The car is a daily driver, but I do take it offroad as I'm a ham radio operator and volunteer at local rallies. So my perfect suspension would eliminate body roll without making me slow to a crawl over speed bumps and potholes.
You're asking too much from a bunch of street guys here. I'd rather go with stock suspension if I'm gonna take off roading. The online other shocks I know for offroading and street are custom valve Ohlins, but they're double your expected cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Pergatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
There is a thread on coilovers, if you use search you will find it. It has anything you want to know about coilovers.
Thanks I couldn't find anything like that upon my initial searching but I think it's because I was restricting to the S-chassis subforum. I think I found the thread you're talking about now and will give it a good reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
You're asking too much from a bunch of street guys here. I'd rather go with stock suspension if I'm gonna take off roading. The online other shocks I know for offroading and street are custom valve Ohlins, but they're double your expected cost.
I will definitely look into Ohlins, those look really nice, thanks for the tip! $3-4k is not outside my price range, if they are worth it. I'm definitely not going with stock, I tried to tolerate that for a while but there's way too much body roll. Good dampers can work magic in this regard, hence why I'm ok with spending a lot to get what I'm looking for. People seem to refer to Ohlins as magic, and that's what I want: magic dampers.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/154534...d-end-all.html

That guy, I don't have any info on your somewhat unique situation but there is a lot of info in there and maybe you could find something that sounds like what you want.
Quote:

Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
5k and 3k spring rates...shit, nothing off the shelf on the market is that soft. You're best bet would be contacting Fortune Auto and have them custom make you a set of 500s with those spring rates with Swift Springs.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
5k and 3k spring rates...shit, nothing off the shelf on the market is that soft. You're best bet would be contacting Fortune Auto and have them custom make you a set of 500s with those spring rates with Swift Springs.
My biggest concern of their dampeners don't have the travel of their dampeners long enough to the point where the OP end up tripoding like nuts on the bumpy dirt road.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I would definetly try contacting Terry at Fortune Auto. They can build custom coilovers to your spec. Be it valving, springrates, and if I remember correctly they can do some custom struts as well to allow for a high rideheight.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
motteramm
Leaky Injector

motteramm is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Stance GR+Pro with Swift springs that are 8k and 6k and I could not be happier. Great daily and track performance.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motteramm View Post
I have Stance GR+Pro with Swift springs that are 8k and 6k and I could not be happier. Great daily and track performance.
His track is the part of the track you try and stay off of, the dirt.
Quote:

Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Fortune autos!
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Syncade
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Syncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Syncade
You need to take this question to Nissanroadracing.com

They are much more knowledgable, and despite the fact they are all about asphalt tracking, they will still help you. The Koni + Ground control springs with Custom Housings may be another option for you (which is discussed there heavily).
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
KW V3's are 6/4 kg/mm. If you still have too much body roll then get thicker sway bars.

If you're looking to go better then I would talk to the people at Performance Shock Inc. I've bought stuff from them in the past and they seem to be very knowledgeable.
Performance Shock, Inc
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Pergatory

I ended up going with a set of Fortune Auto 500's with 5kg/4kg and I'm very pleased with them so far! The dampers were actually even softer than I expected, I've cranked them up to 14/12 currently (24 being the stiffest setting) and may need to go even stiffer.

The dampers themselves are top quality. I'm very impressed. I'm having some trouble with wheel hop in the rear, but still dialing in the dampers so that may go away.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I ended up going with a set of Fortune Auto 500's with 5kg/4kg and I'm very pleased with them so far! The dampers were actually even softer than I expected, I've cranked them up to 14/12 currently (24 being the stiffest setting) and may need to go even stiffer.

The dampers themselves are top quality. I'm very impressed. I'm having some trouble with wheel hop in the rear, but still dialing in the dampers so that may go away.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
You're not going to get ride of the wheel hop. The dampening travel is much more limited on those coilovers compared to stock. I have friends who are in rally cross and they would say either go oem or oem replacements or penskies with 6 inch travel.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Wheel hop can also be related to worn subframe/diff bushings...

Suprised you went FA. There was a set of Ohlins and a set of Motons both from Pikes Peak cars fs on NRR recently.

Good call on the Konis. Been trying to get a set of those myself.... Housings are Hard to come by nowadays.

Cheers,
Ch

Sent using XT912 M
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
immasonlowery

Trader Rating: (-1)
immasonlowery is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
I'm currently running a set of Whiteline Group 4 coilovers in my S13 DD. They are 5kg front, 4kg rear, and I'm pretty happy with them. If anything, I'd say they are actually a tad more stiff than I'd like, but they're almost perfect. The car hasn't had much else done to it aside from poly bushings in the control arms and a few other places to help cope with the extra stiffness.

Unfortunately, one of the dampers was damaged and I need to replace it. It looks like nobody sells these anymore... plus I was beginning to doubt their sturdiness even before I had one fail.

That being said, I've decided to just upgrade all four corners and toss out the Whiteline. Unfortunately I just haven't been watching the DD market since I was expecting to have these Whitelines for a while, so I have no idea what all is out there. I was looking at some Stance coilovers for my track car but they don't seem to have anything more street-like available.

Let the recommendations commence, and thanks in advance for any advice!
nothins is better the zeal function ds. nothing compares to all around use
immasonlowery is offline   Reply With Quote