Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
J_raw
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
J_raw is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Built SR20 blacktop holding itself at 5k RPM

Drove car for a 2 days after getting it out of the garage on a nice day for first time since winter. 3rd day of driving while heading to the car started idling at 2.2-2600 rpm, hunting. Limped it home and checked TPS voltage which was good. Checked maf by unplugging and car wanted to die so figured that was good. After a while of testing it went away and I took it for a spin in the neighborhood. This is when things went awful, car now revs to 5k regardless of throttle input. Ordered a new IACV gasket which is what I’ll pull and clean and test next, ordered an CTS aswell. Not finding any vacuum leaks. Any other suggestions? Am I clearly missing something?Mod list here

* S13 SR20DET Black top
* Block machined by D&D Engines
* 86.5mm CP Pistons
* Manley rods
* King main and rod bearings
* Tomei oil pan
* ARP headstuds
* Tomei headgasket
* Brian Crower 272 cams
* New Springs and retainers
* New Rocker arm stoppers
* New timing chain
* New chain tensioner
* Tomei 740cc injectors
* Walboro fuel pump
* Greedy style intake manifold
* ISR FMIC kit
* Flex-a-life dual fans
* Tomei exhaust manifold
* Garrett GTX2867r turbo

Nismotronic tuned.

Car has run great for some 8k+ miles now. Drove it all last season.

Last edited by J_raw; 03-14-2019 at 08:56 AM..
J_raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
check voltage of tps and also try adjusting the iacv and see if idle changes...additionally check for leaking injectors and vacuum leaks...looks like good fun build to me!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
do not start your engine.

pull your charge piping and look at the throttle plate. its super common for the pin to crack and the screw(s) to fall out. the screw can then get sucked in to the intake manifold and fuck shit up on its way out.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
@brndck. I have heard horror stories of that little screw grenading engines.... Do you normally tack that in place?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
On mine we removed one screw and welded the hole, then removed the other screw and welded up the hole. You could prob remove both screws at the same time but we did it this way just to be cautious and make sure the Plate didn’t move.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
J_raw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
check voltage of tps and also try adjusting the iacv and see if idle changes...additionally check for leaking injectors and vacuum leaks...looks like good fun build to me!
Thanks, will check for injector leaks. And yes 400whp on a conservative tune, fun when it’s running!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
J_raw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
do not start your engine.

pull your charge piping and look at the throttle plate. its super common for the pin to crack and the screw(s) to fall out. the screw can then get sucked in to the intake manifold and fuck shit up on its way out.
Well this is outright terrifying. Hopefully I see two screws when I look. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Yeah it happened to me at a drift event. I was off throttle and all the sudden revs went to redline. Shut the car off. Came to a stop. Started it up and revs went straight to redline again. Shut it off and pushed into the pits. Checked everything, throttle cable and linkage we’re fine, no blown hoses. Pulled the coupler off the throttle body and the screw was just sitting there, in front of the plate. SO SO fortunate it didn’t get sucked in. One of my friends had the same thing happen a few months after, except he sucked the screw in and it wrecked cyl 4 on a freshly built engine.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah it happened to me at a drift event. I was off throttle and all the sudden revs went to redline. Shut the car off. Came to a stop. Started it up and revs went straight to redline again. Shut it off and pushed into the pits. Checked everything, throttle cable and linkage we’re fine, no blown hoses. Pulled the coupler off the throttle body and the screw was just sitting there, in front of the plate. SO SO fortunate it didn’t get sucked in. One of my friends had the same thing happen a few months after, except he sucked the screw in and it wrecked cyl 4 on a freshly built engine.

Happened on my first SR. I was at the drag strip and it started making the worst sound after a run. Basically crushed the bolt into little pieces between my piston and cylinder head.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
J_raw
Leaky Injector

Update: Throttle plate screws are tight and have not come loose and no obstruction inside throttle body. Removed and clean IACV waiting on gasket to arrive from enjuku. Will have a buddy help test for leaking injectors this weekend. Always open to suggestions until then.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_raw View Post
Update: Throttle plate screws are tight and have not come loose and no obstruction inside throttle body. Removed and clean IACV waiting on gasket to arrive from enjuku. Will have a buddy help test for leaking injectors this weekend. Always open to suggestions until then.
Rad. Now THOROUGHLY inspect the rod that the screws go into. Front and back. That is the part that breaks. On the SR, there isn’t really a stop for the gas pedal, and many throttle cables are not properly adjusted, so the throttle body reaches its max, but the gas pedal still has room to go, so all that stress pushes against that one little rod, then eventually the rod breaks, allowing the screw to fall out.

It’s not so much an issue of the screw just backing out on its own.

I guess I should have done a better job explaining earlier.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

The rod breaks where the red line is drawn. That allows the screw to come loose.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #13
J_raw
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Rad. Now THOROUGHLY inspect the rod that the screws go into. Front and back. That is the part that breaks. On the SR, there isn’t really a stop for the gas pedal, and many throttle cables are not properly adjusted, so the throttle body reaches its max, but the gas pedal still has room to go, so all that stress pushes against that one little rod, then eventually the rod breaks, allowing the screw to fall out.

It’s not so much an issue of the screw just backing out on its own.

I guess I should have done a better job explaining earlier.

Will do, thank you for the tips and picture!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Are you certain you have no intake leaks? Take some carb cleaner and spray around the injectors/manifold halves/TB, basically anywhere excessive air can get drawn in.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #15
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
The rod breaks where the red line is drawn. That allows the screw to come loose.
So to avoid possible damage when it break, you tack the screw to that rod from the direction of your picture?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
So to avoid possible damage when it break, you tack the screw to that rod from the direction of your picture?
We removed one of the screws and welded the hole so the rod is now welded directly to the plate, then removed the other screw and did the same thing.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #17
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
We removed one of the screws and welded the hole so the rod is now welded directly to the plate, then removed the other screw and did the same thing.
I guess that would be safest lol but I only have a mig