Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #91
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
i like how clean the CAS replacement from Mazworks is, however, how do you adjust it? is the ring that goes on the cam adjustable?

Just curious

Great work
You never need to adjust it.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #92
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
You never need to adjust it.
Thanks PoorMan.

To add to this, when you first install it, it has to be set with a feeler gauge. I believe it was .060 air gap between the wheel and the pickup. This setup cannot be run on a factory ECU or a Nistune/Nismotronic. It must be a fully programmable EMS system, which is the only downside to it.

I originally wanted to run the P12 CAS, however I did not want to cut a huge hole in my firewall. Nissan CAS' have a very good resolution from the factory, but this was my only option.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #93
whitey240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
whitey240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Holy hell... Are you ever going to finish this build? I have had two different V8's in my car since I sold all of this stuff to you!

Looking good as always! Can't wait to see what numbers it puts down!

The IM was the first one off the line 3 years ago when Jay made the kit. It cracked on the dyno and was reinforced by Jay with Mark reviewing the fix. It was fine for the rest of the time I drove on it and should be fine for the future.

I will be curious to see how that clutch holds up. The twin plate OS Giken I had in the car was starting to slip. I can't remember if we talked about this or not but I would really think about putting in the hydraulic release bearing(Hydraulic Release Bearing Kit RWD - Drivetrain - Mazworx). I was having issues shifting at full throttle at the track and the more I think about it, I think this might have fixed the issue.

That CAS relocation is pretty slick. Definitely better then putting a hole in the firewall. Although now it gives me a sweet spot to hide nitrous solenoids!

Good luck and keep me updated when this thing finally moves under its own power!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #94
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey240 View Post
Holy hell... Are you ever going to finish this build? I have had two different V8's in my car since I sold all of this stuff to you!

Looking good as always! Can't wait to see what numbers it puts down!

The IM was the first one off the line 3 years ago when Jay made the kit. It cracked on the dyno and was reinforced by Jay with Mark reviewing the fix. It was fine for the rest of the time I drove on it and should be fine for the future.

I will be curious to see how that clutch holds up. The twin plate OS Giken I had in the car was starting to slip. I can't remember if we talked about this or not but I would really think about putting in the hydraulic release bearing(Hydraulic Release Bearing Kit RWD - Drivetrain - Mazworx). I was having issues shifting at full throttle at the track and the more I think about it, I think this might have fixed the issue.

That CAS relocation is pretty slick. Definitely better then putting a hole in the firewall. Although now it gives me a sweet spot to hide nitrous solenoids!

Good luck and keep me updated when this thing finally moves under its own power!
Hey man, baby steps... Thanks for the compliments! I actually found a very small crack on the underside by the IACV, but took care of it at work and should be good to go.

The clutch should be up to the task. I'm not sure what the OS Giken was rated to handle, but this one is rated for 515ft lbs. I shouldn't eclipse that, but you never know on race gas and some more boost. I had looked at the hydro release bearing, I guess we'll find out if it is indeed needed.

I honestly fought with myself about cutting the hole for the CAS, but I figured , IF I ever do a different conversion, I don't want a large hole back there staring at me, atleast you found a good use for yours .

***Update***

So, last update I was attempting to get my cold pipe finished up, but as usual, parts delays and my schedule conflicted with what I wanted to do. I did however get it tacked up that evening without the other parts I needed.

Fast forward to yesterday, all parts in hand, minus my IAT bund and a nipple for the IACV, and it's all finished up. Tig welded and purged to prevent any and all stalactites from forming on the inside of the pipe. The remaining pieces should be here tomorrow or Sat and I'll have it completed and installed permanently in the car.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #95
Asil

Trader Rating: (2)
Asil is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I fall in love with your engine bay and wow keep up the awesome work.
Asil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #96
blo0d
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blo0d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hey man which catch can is that? nice build as usual!

I cut a hole in my s13 for my p12 cas. but funnily when we mounted it there was still 1.5" of clearance. so I apparently didnt need to cut the hole.
blo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #97
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blo0d View Post
hey man which catch can is that? nice build as usual!

I cut a hole in my s13 for my p12 cas. but funnily when we mounted it there was still 1.5" of clearance. so I apparently didnt need to cut the hole.
The catch can is a custom piece. It was built to fit into the factory charcoal canister bracket.

It seems as if the S13 has more clearance between the firewall and the back of the engine than the S14's. I would've had to cut mine if I kept the P12 CAS.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #98
blo0d
Zilvia Member

which fpr u running?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #99
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
nice build, one question - wouldn't 45 degree bend work better in there?
I thought less is better when it comes to pipe bends on cold pipes.
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #100
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blo0d View Post
which fpr u running?
I am running a Sard racing FPR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cured13 View Post
nice build, one question - wouldn't 45 degree bend work better in there?
I thought less is better when it comes to pipe bends on cold pipes.
Obviously less bends and overall length is optimal, however my setup has both less bends and overall length than the factory side mount setup. There really is no wrong way to run the piping. If I was going for a super responsive setup, then obviously a mid mount setup with the shortest possible piping would be best. With that, I don't think I'll see any negative effects by having a 90 there instead of a 45.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #101
rokrigo

Trader Rating: (0)
rokrigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what brand is the manifold exhaust?, its t3?, do you have a web page will i can to buy?.

thank
rokrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #102
sr20luv
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
sr20luv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
awesome build cant wait to see this done!!!
sr20luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #103
SR20_2NR

SR20_2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm usually a reader and not a poster but this thread deserves my first post.

unbelievable work! i plan to do a similar VE build in my s14 zenki to a lesser degree. your build has given me hope and motivation.

i like everything you've done in this build, very clean! keep it up and i'm definitely looking forward to seeing it done and seeing a start up/dyno vid!

ps: did you have to run a spacer in between the crank pulley and the crank in order to run the VE oil pump?
SR20_2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #104
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrigo View Post
what brand is the manifold exhaust?, its t3?, do you have a web page will i can to buy?.

thank
I am running a Peakboost manifold, modified to work on the VE head. They are no longer a company, but full-race, Mazworx, Doc race, etc can all fabricate a manifold for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20_2NR View Post
i'm usually a reader and not a poster but this thread deserves my first post.

unbelievable work! i plan to do a similar VE build in my s14 zenki to a lesser degree. your build has given me hope and motivation.

i like everything you've done in this build, very clean! keep it up and i'm definitely looking forward to seeing it done and seeing a start up/dyno vid!

ps: did you have to run a spacer in between the crank pulley and the crank in order to run the VE oil pump?
Thanks for the kind words... I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing it on the dyno too.

Yes, there is a pump collar spacer needed for the VE pump. I can't remember the exact thickness of it, but I would call Mazworx and ask them.

Over the past few days I have been installing my Aerocatch hood pin/latch setup. I utilized one of the factory holes in the radiator support so no new holes had to be drilled. I will tell you this, it is an extremely time consuming mod. I measured multiple times in many different directions to get them spaced and located evenly on the hood.

Once I finished up the holes and mounting the latches I pushed the car outside to get the garage cleaned up a little bit. So I decided to snap a few pictures of the engine bay in natural light.

I'm still waiting on my harness and EMS to come in. Hopefully my seats will be done soon and I can get them back. I have yet to finish my wiring on the relocation of my fuse box, but I'll get around to it when I get a chance. As always, thanks for looking.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #105
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Looks ready to start ):
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #106
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Looking good.

I still need to order these for my carbon kiber hood.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #107
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, I want to buy you a beer. You have done an amazing job keeping everything so clean and organized. I am so ready for a video of it making power.

Hood latches look great as well!
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #108
STEVES14
Leaky Injector

STEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownSTEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownSTEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownSTEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to STEVES14
when are u planning on starting it up?
STEVES14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #109
Lil_D
Zilvia Addict

Lil_D is an unknown quantity at this point
this build makes me want vvl head so much more great build!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #110
STEVES14
Leaky Injector

STEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownSTEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownSTEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownSTEVES14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
i am also in the middle of this swap too does anyone know a mechine in the east coast that can assumable a vvl head swap on a rwd if supplied all the parts expect intake manifold? might do something different i know a fab guy that weld real good
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #111
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Might I ask what you need a machine shop for bud? Besides a custom intake or manifold (which a welder would do, not a machinist) I'm not sure what your asking.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #112
STEVES14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignMuscle View Post
Might I ask what you need a machine shop for bud? Besides a custom intake or manifold (which a welder would do, not a machinist) I'm not sure what your asking.
I need to machinist to assemble the engine drill the hole in the head plug the hole up in the block check piston to valve clearance and to see if the oil pump needs any kind machining to fit the block.

That's why I'm looking for a machine shop that has assembled vvl head's on SR 20 rwd setup
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #113
Slims
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Slims is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
head = exploded.

such an amazing build. almost make me sad about mine haha.
Slims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #114
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVES14 View Post
i am also in the middle of this swap too does anyone know a mechine in the east coast that can assumable a vvl head swap on a rwd if supplied all the parts expect intake manifold? might do something different i know a fab guy that weld real good
You can ask the guys @ JMR racing in CT they should know a place since they know the VE's pretty good.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #115
Kouki_monstr
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Kouki_monstr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Been going back and forth about doing a VVL set up, but i think im ready to make the jump. Your work looks great! I cant wait to see it running! Subscribed!

97 Kouki- Third times a charm Instagram@Koukimonstrr
Kouki_monstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #116
blo0d
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki_monstr View Post
Been going back and forth about doing a VVL set up, but i think im ready to make the jump. Your work looks great! I cant wait to see it running! Subscribed!
do it.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #117
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVES14 View Post
What hole do you need drilled? You can buy the plug for the rear drain from Mazworx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slims View Post
head = exploded.

such an amazing build. almost make me sad about mine haha.
Thank you sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki_monstr View Post
You'll be happier in the end if you do. Fuck exploding rocker arms!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #118
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Pure SEX !!!!!!!!

What would be purpose of this car?
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #119
my9thtry

my9thtry is an unknown quantity at this point
When are you starting the partout?
my9thtry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #120
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
Pure SEX !!!!!!!!

What would be purpose of this car?
Thank you sir... I'd like to use it for some road racing and it'll definitely see the drag strip, however, it doesn't necessarily have a target use. Whatever I see fit I suppose. It gave up DD status years ago, but I would imagine I'll drive it quite often, especially in the cooler months when A/C is not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my9thtry View Post
When are you starting the partout?
As soon as you sell the Subie...