Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #31
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
I couldn't see myself in an EVO or STI.
E39 M5, E60 M5, 2005/6 E55, late W211 E63.

Your budget allows you to buy a nice one, drop it at a competent shop, have them go through it, and then drive it problem-free for years.

E39 M5s are going up, E60 M5s are holding steady and will rise, great E55s have stabilized and will likely rise, E63s are stable.

Don't buy something new and non-collectible. Buy something fun that won't depreciate even if you put 15k miles on it.

Completely different: Lotus Elise or Exige. If you have to street park, forget these options, though.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #32
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
How about you drive them and see which you like the best...
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #33
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post

Your budget allows you to buy a nice one, drop it at a competent shop, have them go through it, and then drive it problem-free for years.

E39 M5s are going up, E60 M5s are holding steady and will rise, great E55s have stabilized and will likely rise, E63s are stable.
h.

One does not simply bring up the E60 M5 without brining up the rod bearing issues.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #34
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Most well-maintained cars have already had it done pre-emptively, and if the car hasn't, it's not as expensive to do as it may seem. A 68k-mile Dinan S2 6-speed with rod bearing replacement in 2017 sold for $36,250 on BaT in September.

E46 M3 ZCP would also be an option IMO. If not in CA, there's always the option of importing an E36 M3 GT, although it would be tough to get for the $60k budget.

I wear my biases on my sleeve, if you haven't noticed. I also believe that driving cars that don't appreciate is enjoyable, especially if they make the noise an S85 does. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #35
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Get a Nissan GT-R R35 used for around $55-60k with low miles
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #36
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post

and find out how much the GT-R tax is when the car needs brakes..yikes.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #37
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
and find out how much the GT-R tax is when the car needs brakes..yikes.
$1250 from Brembo for a full rotor/ pad set doesn't seem too bad:

https://www.brembostoreusa.com/produ...25&clev=0&hs=1

I'm seeing almost $1600 for the complete OEM F80 M3 rotor/ pad replacement.
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #38
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i know this may sound stupid... but

now that you're single again, you may want to reconsider about dumping good coin into a (relatively) expensive car. reason i say this is because you are single, and finding someone worth-while is already a difficult task on its own. last thing you want is a car that gives off the wrong signals. actually, a sentra gives off the right signals... ie: "im not rich, gold diggers need not apply." same signal it gives off to cops... "nothing to see here officer, just a normal working man driving a sentra"

maybe just buy an older 3 series... you get straight 6 NA power, good overall reliable engine and drivetrain. find a well kept low mileage one and be done with. LS is a good car but big and boring.
I have thought about this many times. But I have found out that there are a very small percentage about girls who care about what you drive. But you are right, this car is low profile and I have yet to get a speeding ticket in this car in 10 years of ownership **knock on wood**. If I do get an LS I would do the whole VIP look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
This post deserves rep.

I get all the hype, but like he said. There are plenty of cars to be had that are "fun" that are not super expensive.

Again Q50 used can get into the 20's. If you get a warranty you can have a 400whp car (with a tune and simple bolt on's) that is reliable and if anything does wrong can be taken to the dealer and fixed. You'd can spend 25k-35k vs 60K on a car that is not that much better.
You guys are very much correct and I've started transitioning to looking at vehicles at half the price. I like the idea of getting two very different cars than blowing it on an F80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
i like my STI but tesla is on my to get list too
I move a lot and the lack infrastructure across the country for Tesla is not something I want to deal with. If I move back to WA, maybe.

Quote:

Don't buy something new and non-collectible. Buy something fun that won't depreciate even if you put 15k miles on it.

Completely different: Lotus Elise or Exige. If you have to street park, forget these options, though.
Not concerned about depreciation. I'm not terribly concerned about bearings for an M series because I would immediately have that addressed. It just seems like they have tons of other issues. I was just looking at c63/e63s. Still doing research but my assumption is reliability would be similar to the m5. But like I said earlier, I am irrational sometimes and chose tangible items off emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
How about you drive them and see which you like the best...
Trying the best I can. But over time they start to feel the same. The ideas that everyone are bringing up is helping to expand my view. A humble man always asks when he isn't sure.

Quote:
Most well-maintained cars have already had it done pre-emptively, and if the car hasn't, it's not as expensive to do as it may seem. A 68k-mile Dinan S2 6-speed with rod bearing replacement in 2017 sold for $36,250 on BaT in September.

E46 M3 ZCP would also be an option IMO. If not in CA, there's always the option of importing an E36 M3 GT, although it would be tough to get for the $60k budget.

I wear my biases on my sleeve, if you haven't noticed. I also believe that driving cars that don't appreciate is enjoyable, especially if they make the noise an S85 does. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
I always come back to an M3/M5 but I'm worried about getting a lemon. Seems they are amazing or total pieces of shit. The E92 I had was perfect, so I still maintain a positive opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
Feels a little too ricer

https://www.brembostoreusa.com/produ...25&clev=0&hs=1

I'm seeing almost $1600 for the complete OEM F80 M3 rotor/ pad replacement.[/QUOTE]

My assumption that is for ceramic brakes. But if I did spend that much for a car, that price would be expected.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #39
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
So for about half your budget, there is the Chevy SS. Blends in with traffic enough to not get you a ticket, 415 hp LS, Brembo brakes, 4 door. Fun, but not crazy.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #40
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
My assumption that is for ceramic brakes. But if I did spend that much for a car, that price would be expected.
I'm pretty sure only the Nismo R35's came with ceramics in the US (which would be out of budget).

The OEM iron R35 rotors are about $900 each (they MSRP for even more), but a lot of that is Nissan tax.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #41
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Quote:
So for about half your budget, there is the Chevy SS. Blends in with traffic enough to not get you a ticket, 415 hp LS, Brembo brakes, 4 door. Fun, but not crazy.
This is an option, but I'd daily an M5 before I'd daily an SS, just because the M5s are a little more soulful. The magnetorheological dampers are pretty sweet, though.

Reliable cars are reliably reliable. They don't just one day go "yep, I'm unreliable" unless something drastic changes (left to sit for a while with a dead battery, left outside for the winter, become a condo to a family of rats, etc). Service records are a must for an E60 M5; I'd buy an E39 based on the owner and my own PPI if they didn't have service records but seemed like a knowledgeable, caring, enthusiastic owner.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #42
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
I'm soon to be divorced and am looking to get back into the car game.

But there are sooooo many choices.
- I'm 32 so a little more mature and no longer interested in the real flashy stuff. Preferably something that isnt associated with someone in highschool
- My budget is about 60k.
- Reliability is a priority. Time is money
- My previous cars are s13, s14(ls1), e92 m3
- Prefer 4 doors but not set in stone

I'm unsure if I want to buy a complete package or start with something cheaper to mod.

Leaning towards an F80 M3 CS. Test drove a base model and it was sick.

As much as I love the 90s JDM heavy hitters, they are overpriced and not worth it IMO. But maybe I am missing something. Let me know what you think!
997.2 Carrera S. Not too flashy, pretty reliable, classy with enough performance to keep you entertained. Only con is the tires are $2000 and don't last that long.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #43
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Why do you think you don't like trucks?

How many have you driven?

Drive some diesels, trucks with different wheelbases and heights, etc, before you just say you don't like those things. You might be amazed at how they're more luxurious than the luxury cars, as much pony as the pony cars, can be short and whip around just fine, can pull your other toys around, can carry an engine or six in the back, can move your ex wife out and your new girlfriend in, you name it.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #44
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
This is an option, but I'd daily an M5 before I'd daily an SS, just because the M5s are a little more soulful. The magnetorheological dampers are pretty sweet, though..
Not to mention the SS has that "is that a Malibu?" look about it.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #45
badicalradical
Zilvia Member

badicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of light
You could buy this guys 240 and use the $10k left over in your budget to halfway finish it

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1001372869/
badicalradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #46
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Not to mention the SS has that "is that a Malibu?" look about it.
thats kinda why I like it..its like a plain black suit with a really nice liner in it. Its really a car just for the driver.

...then again I'm painting my car grey..
Old 11-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #47
wezurii
Leaky Injector

wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy e92 M3 and swap a real v8 in it, LT6 ftw
wezurii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #48
burnsauto
Post Whore!

dont laugh...kia stinger. ...I'm just trying to think out of the box here..
Old 11-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #49
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
thats kinda why I like it..its like a plain black suit with a really nice liner in it. Its really a car just for the driver.

...then again I'm painting my car grey..
You say that like gray is a bad thing....
Old 11-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #50
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
dont laugh...kia stinger. ...I'm just trying to think out of the box here..
The one time I mentioned the Stinger in another post, I was laughed out of the room.
I stick by it though

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:49 AM   #51
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Cts-v is where its at
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #52
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
The one time I mentioned the Stinger in another post, I was laughed out of the room.
I stick by it though
for a daily its fine, I would never get one to modify..thats where the quality of the materials comes into play. rocker cover clips, molding clips are cheap plastic, same goes for anything making up the front bumper. Kia and Hyundai aren't really cars meant to come apart and go back together with ease. It happens...but its not like the joy of working on a BMW where everything comes apart easily and is meant to go back together repeatedly.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #53
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Pick up a civic type R, you won't regret it. I just bought a black 2020 FK8 and its the best car I've owned and if you feel like that isn't for you, I feel like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT or Track hawk is a very good choice.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #54
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

^^I think the FK8 is going to be on the "flashy" side for him.

Congratz on picking one up, though!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #55
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
Are you sure you'll still have $60K cash and your stock holdings after your divorce is finalized?

Speaking as the breadwinner in a divorce.
Whitey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #56
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
^^I think the FK8 is going to be on the "flashy" side for him.

Congratz on picking one up, though!
If he can look pass the "flashy" look and the fact that it's front wheel drive, it has the reliability, power and great MPG also sticker price is $36,650. Most bang for your buck. I was looking at many cars but it came down to a used F80 M3 or my brand new FK8 and even though M3's are nice, they are a dime of dozen.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #57
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmgtom View Post
If he can look pass the "flashy" look and the fact that it's front wheel drive, it has the reliability, power and great MPG also sticker price is $36,650. Most bang for your buck. I was looking at many cars but it came down to a used F80 M3 or my brand new FK8 and even though M3's are nice, they are a dime of dozen.
Believe me, I agree.

I don't see myself giving up my 2015 STI for one, but I'd love to have both. lol
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #58
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Ended up getting a 20' Charger Scat Pack. Decent price at 38k out the door.
I love the car. Doesnt handle great and they are everywhere but it meets what i was looking for.
I can haul the kids around and have some fun on my own.
Thanks for the ideas guys! It was tough.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #59
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ended up getting a 20' Charger Scat Pack. Decent price at 38k out the door.
I love the car. Doesnt handle great and they are everywhere but it meets what i was looking for.
I can haul the kids around and have some fun on my own.
Thanks for the ideas guys! It was tough.
not a terrible pick, the factory exhaust is nice. glad you followed through, and there's a resolution to this thread.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #60
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
not a terrible pick, the factory exhaust is nice. glad you followed through, and there's a resolution to this thread.
Right? Such a simple concept so many don't follow through.