Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
240sxdrive

Trader Rating: (0)
240sxdrive is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Off-car starter testing - Power to ignition terminal spins starter

Hi,

I actually posted this on an Acura forum also since it's for my TL but I've done the same testing on my 240's starter before and think this forum may be a bit more technical. I've attached a diagram below for reference.

I'm using jumper cables from a battery to the starter for testing. When connecting positive to the "B" terminal in diagram below (terminal that normally has battery positive to it), then using a screwdriver to make connection between it and terminal "S" (the one the ignition switch cable would be on), the starter pushes the gear out and spins as it should, though it doesn't seem to have much force. I've done this with another starter before and the whole starter jumped with the force of the gear extending and spinning.

When using a screwdriver to connect from "B" terminal to "M" (the one with the small wire leading from solenoid to starter motor) the starter just spins without pushing out the gear as it should.

The problem is, when I connect the positive jumper cable to JUST the "S" terminal by itself without bridging any other terminals, the gear extends and spins (again without much force but not really "slow") when it should just be popping out the gear without spinning.

Any ideas as to what is going on or what to look for when opening up the starter or solenoid?

Thank you for any help!
240sxdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
240sxdrive

Argh, just read that photobucket requires paid membership for 3rd party hosting lol. If you click the photobucket error link I think it takes you to the picture on my album.

Basically, when connecting positive to the terminal that has a spade connection for the ignition switch wire, the solenoid pops out the gear and the starter spins it when it should only be popping out but not turning.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
240sxdrive

pic attached

Starter resized.jpg
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
It sounds like the solenoid on your starter is bad. The signal wire should not be powering the starter motor. As far as i know, centrifugal forces cause the gear to pop out and engage the flywheel for starting. It shouldn't pop out but not spin.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote