Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
Lmtdedtn2

Trader Rating: (0)
Lmtdedtn2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Rear End Noise

Car is 97 SE 5 Speed

I’ve searched the forum and googled, but I’m hoping that you guys can help me narrow it down. I recently dropped the the sub frame and changed all the bushings to energy bushings... knuckles, subframe, diff. Also installed new wheel bearings. Put it all back together and now under throttle there is a noise from the rear end. Sounds like a popping noise. Driving it sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side. But I don’t have someone to drive the car, so I can sit in the back and listen. There are no vibrations and I can’t FEEL anything......it’s just noise. Push in the clutch, it’s gone....let OFF the throttle it’s gone. The more throttle, the worse it gets. It starts at about 25-30 mph. Never had the problem before I did all the work. I’m starting to think an axle, but? Any and all advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lmtdedtn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
lift up rear end, put it in gear and let it start going...or disassemble the whole rear end again and check each part individually...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
Lmtdedtn2

Ok. I’m going to lift it up this evening. Start by taking wheel off....try it. Then axle...try it etc

Old 01-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
JoelC

JoelC is making a name for him/her selfJoelC is making a name for him/her self
Perhaps now that you've got stiffer bushings you're hearing an axle that has been bad but the old bushings were muffling the noise.

I would put it in the air as jedi had mentioned.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Lmtdedtn2

Possibly. I feel like I would have still heard the sound before. I’m going to trouble shoot it some more this evening. Hopefully I can narrow it down. I’ll update tomorrow. Was hoping someone already had this issue and could chime in. We’ll see. Thanks for the advice

Old 01-31-2020, 02:57 AM   #6
Lmtdedtn2

Not much luck yesterday. With the car up I couldn’t hear the noise. I have an exhaust also so that makes it more difficult too I think. I can get a set of used axles shipped for 100. I think I’m going to go ahead and get those and also replace the drivers side wheel bearing just in case I messed it up some how. What do you guys think?

Old 01-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
also check your subframe bushings, those tend to be worn out...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
JoelC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmtdedtn2 View Post
Not much luck yesterday. With the car up I couldn’t hear the noise. I have an exhaust also so that makes it more difficult too I think. I can get a set of used axles shipped for 100. I think I’m going to go ahead and get those and also replace the drivers side wheel bearing just in case I messed it up some how. What do you guys think?
It would make sense that you didn't hear anything from the drivetrain when it's jacked up since it only makes the noise under load. I would start at axles and then wheel bearings. If that doesn't do it then it could be your differential.

When was the last time you serviced your diff?
Old 01-31-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Lmtdedtn2

All bushings were replaced. Just seems strange that I didn’t have the problem prior to doing all the work. I will probably change the fluid also. Previous owner said he changed the fluid right before I bought it. That was about 3 years ago. I’ve probably only put 10k miles on the car

Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
JoelC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmtdedtn2 View Post
All bushings were replaced. Just seems strange that I didn’t have the problem prior to doing all the work. I will probably change the fluid also. Previous owner said he changed the fluid right before I bought it. That was about 3 years ago. I’ve probably only put 10k miles on the car
It's impressive how much noise the factory bushings muffle. I bet it's been making that noise for some time. It's possible that they put the wrong gear oil in or too little when they were servicing the diff last. It might be in your best interest to freshen up the rear end with new stuff anyway.

Also, if someone failed to tighten your driveshaft to the diff well enough or skimped out on lock washers, that could also cause that noise.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
Lmtdedtn2

Ok. I checked the bolts for the driveshaft yesterday. All seem good. It really sounds like it’s coming more from the drivers side. I’m going to start with the axels and change the diff fluid. Double check the Nuts and bolts again and see where that gets me. Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelC View Post
Perhaps now that you've got stiffer bushings you're hearing an axle that has been bad but the old bushings were muffling the noise.

I would put it in the air as jedi had mentioned.
That's what happened to me. Replaced the axles and the sounds went away. Now i just have a noisy diff on decel and rattling trunk lid.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Could be something like the bearings in the diff? Or perhaps something with the driveshaft carrier?

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
Lmtdedtn2

Maybe so. From all my research if it were in the driveshaft I would feel something. I’m just getting mostly noise. And like I said before, it really seems to be coming more from the right side. I have the bearing and the axles are on the way. I’ll also change the diff fluid. We’ll see where that gets me. Thanks!