Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Liam pink

Trader Rating: (0)
Liam pink is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Watercooling setup for turbo? S13 sr

How many of you run watercooling to your turbo? Wondering if I should. And what water line to run to it. S13 sr20de+t blacktop
Liam pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam pink View Post
How many of you run watercooling to your turbo? Wondering if I should. And what water line to run to it. S13 sr20de+t blacktop
Literally everyone with a garrett or other mfr ball-bearing turbo does. That's how the turbo is designed.

>Some generic info on Garrett's site about water cooling<

Short answer; what turbo are you running? Does it have water ports? If it does I would be damn sure it was plumbed up before I ran it. If not (like 99% of all journal bearing turbos) then it is designed to be cooled by oil.

Don't reinvent the wheel here man.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
Water line in to turbo from outlet manifold, water line out from turbo to header tank on mine.
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If the turbo has water ports on the center, then use them. Simple

On sr20 ive used the stock spot on the block(dont rember thread pitch) to an fitting. And either tap the upper water neck, or buy an s14 one. Those spots work perfect for coolant feed and return
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Liam pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
If the turbo has water ports on the center, then use them. Simple

On sr20 ive used the stock spot on the block(dont rember thread pitch) to an fitting. And either tap the upper water neck, or buy an s14 one. Those spots work perfect for coolant feed and return
Might buy a s14 water neck for return. Where abouts on the block is the feed. And if I dont end up getting a s14 water neck where else can you return it to?

Also random question. If I put a water temp sensor in the upper rad pipe will the reading not be accurate because of the water coming from the turbo? If you get me
Old 03-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Liam pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
Literally everyone with a garrett or other mfr ball-bearing turbo does. That's how the turbo is designed.

>Some generic info on Garrett's site about water cooling<

Short answer; what turbo are you running? Does it have water ports? If it does I would be damn sure it was plumbed up before I ran it. If not (like 99% of all journal bearing turbos) then it is designed to be cooled by oil.

Don't reinvent the wheel here man.

Not tryna reinvent the wheel mate just wondering where to run your feed and return lines since it's a de. I'm running a gt2876r bb turbo btw. But alot of people in nz dont bother running water for track cars. Which I should probably add. My cars a drift car and drift car only. Wont see the street

Last edited by Liam pink; 03-23-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
its not required but will greatly extend the life of the turbo...if i were doing it myself and trying to keep it simple i would split the heater hoses and put a t fitting to and from the turbo coolant areas...not necessarily the best spot but an option...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam pink View Post
Not tryna reinvent the wheel mate just wondering where to run your feed and return lines since it's a de. I'm running a gt2876r bb turbo btw. But alot of people in nz dont bother running water for track cars. Which I should probably add. My cars a drift car and drift car only. Wont see the street
If anything i'd rather have water cooling the turbo on the track/drift car where it's going to get more abuse and heat vs. a street car. Your thought process is backwards here.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Liam pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
If anything i'd rather have water cooling the turbo on the track/drift car where it's going to get more abuse and heat vs. a street car. Your thought process is backwards here.
I don't have a thought process haha. my thought process is look at all the other cars and see they don't run water. So figured maybe its better for street driving since water from what I know mainly benefits on cooldown. and for daily driving turbos most likely wont get time to cooldown but on track cars I don't mind letting it idle for a minute. idk though im in NZ so most people don't give a sh*t anyway so its not a easy read of what to do haha
Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"The Garrett engineers are asked many such questions regarding our water-cooled turbochargers. Many customers question the necessity or benefits of plumbing in those extra water lines to the sides of the turbo’s center housing. Why not just leave them off? The reality is that a water-cooled turbo can be damaged irreparably without proper water line setup. With a little background and some explanation of what water cooling really does for turbochargers, this Garrett white paper will hopefully convince a skeptic that the benefits provided by water-cooling are worth the small effort required to properly set it up."

Straight from the link in my first post. From the people who make your turbo. Or get a journal bearing turbo that doesnt need water cooling. There are a plethora of options in a t25 footprint. It'd be cheaper to just run the coolant lines to your existing turbo though.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
Liam pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
"The Garrett engineers are asked many such questions regarding our water-cooled turbochargers. Many customers question the necessity or benefits of plumbing in those extra water lines to the sides of the turbo?s center housing. Why not just leave them off? The reality is that a water-cooled turbo can be damaged irreparably without proper water line setup. With a little background and some explanation of what water cooling really does for turbochargers, this Garrett white paper will hopefully convince a skeptic that the benefits provided by water-cooling are worth the small effort required to properly set it up."

Straight from the link in my first post. From the people who make your turbo. Or get a journal bearing turbo that doesnt need water cooling. There are a plethora of options in a t25 footprint. It'd be cheaper to just run the coolant lines to your existing turbo though.
Sweet I'll get them hooked up. Sounds like theres a hole in the block for water in and I'll probably get a water neck which it can go back into
Old 03-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
you absolutely need the water for turbos that take water
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote