Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
ryoryo

Trader Rating: (0)
ryoryo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upper oil pan or rear main seal leak?

I need help figuring out if my oil leak is coming from my upper oil pan or rear main seal on my 88 Silvia with an Sr20 swap. I would hate to do one and it is the other, but I will get it done either way. But doing the right one first would save me some time. The leak forms between the bell housing and engine where I have the pointer pointing out. Oil starts bubbling out about a 1/4 way up the transmission and drips out the weep hole on the very bottom of the transmission. It's not the head gasket or valve cover gasket. Changed those already. Any help is appreciated.

https://flic.kr/p/2iojsak
ryoryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2020, 04:45 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Change ur rear main.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
To be totally honest I would recommend you change both. In your photo the whole bottom of your motor & sub frame is drenched. Telling me you have leaks further up towards the front of the car.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Word to the wise, resealing an upper oil pan in car is a PITA, And I think you ultimately spend less time just yanking the engine up and out to do it, than you will supporting the engine, and dropping the subframe enough to squeak it out/enough to clean the surfaces well.

Just my two cents.

Also remember than if you do yank the engine, and roll the engine upside down, you'll need to re-bleed your lifters because they can suck air. Try to keep it up right on the stand

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
ryoryo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
To be totally honest I would recommend you change both. In your photo the whole bottom of your motor & sub frame is drenched. Telling me you have leaks further up towards the front of the car.
Yeah you're probably right.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
ryoryo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Word to the wise, resealing an upper oil pan in car is a PITA, And I think you ultimately spend less time just yanking the engine up and out to do it, than you will supporting the engine, and dropping the subframe enough to squeak it out/enough to clean the surfaces well.

Just my two cents.

Also remember than if you do yank the engine, and roll the engine upside down, you'll need to re-bleed your lifters because they can suck air. Try to keep it up right on the stand
I'm having trouble taking the trans out. I think i saw a post you commented on about twisting the transmission 180 degrees to take it out. I might give that a try.

P.S. I received my codyace AC brackets not too long ago. Nice looking craftsmanship.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
is it not separating? get flathead or strong putty knife to get in there...should be able to slide straight out, one of many reasons I miss my sr lol
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
ryoryo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
is it not separating? get flathead or strong putty knife to get in there...should be able to slide straight out, one of many reasons I miss my sr lol
Its separating, I currently have it separated roughly 3 inches, but the problem with the s13 chassis is it hits the firewall and wont allow it to come off. I lowered the subframe slightly and still no luck. Next thing I'm gonna do is loosen the motor mounts (they're brand new) and jack up engine from the front and supposedly it will miss the firewall. My mkiv supra was so much easier taking the transmission out.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Mk4 supra to a 240? What horriable thing happened in ur life?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #10
ryoryo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Mk4 supra to a 240? What horriable thing happened in ur life?
This comment is great. Lol. I got my mkiv supra back in 2012 when Supras weren't going for stupid prices (pre Fast and the Furious 7). Parts are extremely expensive on Supras so every time something broke it really hurt me. Sooo I sold it on ebay. Bought my imported 88 silvia (NOT a 240. Get it right. Lol) with only 45k miles on it, got my wife a celica and also got my parents truck and paid off some debt. Haven't looked back since.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoryo View Post
This comment is great. Lol. I got my mkiv supra back in 2012 when Supras weren't going for stupid prices (pre Fast and the Furious 7). Parts are extremely expensive on Supras so every time something broke it really hurt me. Sooo I sold it on ebay. Bought my imported 88 silvia (NOT a 240. Get it right. Lol) with only 45k miles on it, got my wife a celica and also got my parents truck and paid off some debt. Haven't looked back since.
Lol gotcha! Well looks like it was the right decision!enjoy the silvia
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
o ya just push the front of the motor up...use wood w/floor jack or buddy to lift or similar lol, and that will get you the angle! shows how long its been since ive been under it lol!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote