Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
GripSpec
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
GripSpec is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
SR Idle Issue

Having issues with my SR Idle. It consistently hangs at around 1.5k for 3-4 seconds after coming to a stop. In the video you can see where I push the clutch causing the idle to drop, then it revs back up to 1.5k and hangs for a bit, then finally drops again. One other odd thing, if I push the clutch the revs will stay at 1.5k until I come to a complete stop, no matter how long that takes). When it is warm out the idle will drop pretty low (550-600 rpms), but when it is cooler out (as it was in the video), the idle will only drop to 1k. When I let off the throttle to shift, it also feels like the revs hang for a moment before dropping. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing these symptoms?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AW4faQTpNk

Last edited by GripSpec; 11-14-2016 at 07:40 AM..
GripSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
you might be using an automatic ECU on a manual transmission car,

something to do with the ECU probably watching the VSS and adding idle speed to keep the engine from bogging. It seems computer related. It could also be a learned feature, if you have electric fans that bring the idle down, or other electronic power drains which lower engine RPM, the ecu will LEARN to keep the idle up due to the drain... and then when the engine is cold (fans are not on) the extra airflow is still added ( the ecu doesn't know when the fans are on or off ) and so the idle goes higher.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Tyler_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is your neutral position switch wired up? I had issues timing my car until I got it fixed up.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
you might be using an automatic ECU on a manual transmission car,

something to do with the ECU probably watching the VSS and adding idle speed to keep the engine from bogging. It seems computer related. It could also be a learned feature, if you have electric fans that bring the idle down, or other electronic power drains which lower engine RPM, the ecu will LEARN to keep the idle up due to the drain... and then when the engine is cold (fans are not on) the extra airflow is still added ( the ecu doesn't know when the fans are on or off ) and so the idle goes higher.
Had many SRs and JZs i either converted from auto to manual or were converted with auto ecu, never once an issue like this because of the ECU
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote