Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
lunarbomb
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
lunarbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
project lunarbomber

hey folks, i've been reading through other peoples builds for awhile now. the stuff people pull off in their garages on a budget is pretty awesome. i figured i would contribute and post my current project.

this is how it looked when i originally bought it from a friend. i think daft did the original swap.

i didn't really know what i was going to do with the car at this point. nor did i have any money after purchasing it so i just welded/plated the diff and started making little things.

i made some fixtures and chopped up my knuckles. at this point i'm starting to think dedicated track car.

then i chopped and boxed my FLCAs. i probably would have bought PBM knuckles and FLCAs at this point if i could have afforded them.

i noticed that my front ARB had been relocated forward and down and was hitting the tension rod. i ended up making new brackets to move it back up but still forward.

then i went off the deep end and chopped the front off of my clean kouki. at this point i'm committed to the dedicated track car thing and decided i'd take my time and try to do it right.

cleaned up the subframe and added some PBM stuff.

then i gutted it and stripped out the sound deadening (no dry ice. heat gun and scraper... sucked).

next, i stitch welded the entire car.

got the rack and x-member cleaned up.

cleaned up the engine. all i did was maintenance and some minor changes for reliability. no power mods at all.

these are the base plates i made for the cage.

almost done with the front and the cage. i originally purchased one of enjukus "drift" cages but was not stoked on it at all (it looks just like the picture they show and not like what you see when searching for install pics) so i ended up only using the main hoop and a-pillar pars and made the rest myself.

next, i cut the tunnel out to make room for everything and just to make getting to the transmission easier. this and how i built my cage were heavily influenced by Costa Gialamas and how he built Matt Powers' 2012 car.

i finished the rear of the car and decided the radiator might as well go in the back.

i also decided that the steering column had too much going on and started making a new one. this was pointless work. the OEM column is fine.

it turned out i had a ton of throw left before i would "over-center" the tie-rods so i notched my FLCAs. i still want PBM FLCAs...

replaced all the wheel studs. previous owner did not run hubcentric spacers.

i ended up rebuilding the T56 (multiple times until i got it right). i did the 3rd to 4th synchro housing, bronze shift fork pads, bronze shifter cup, 4130 synchro keys and was going to upgrade the aluminum 3 - 4 shift fork to a steel one but it was already in there.

engine in!

the daft trans x-member worked fine but i decided to box it anyway.

now i started preparing for overs. this part hurt because thes 1/4s were pretty clean.

then i made the firewall/radiator shroud. my little TIG can't weld aluminum so pop rivets it is.

made some ARB end links because the OEM ones were forced into this crazy angle when i moved the ARB.

this is the fuel cell i'm using. i've always used fuel safe on previous projects but aeromotive makes these with internal pump already installed and baffling. it's just too clean and easy.

these are some brackets i made to manage the fuel and coolant lines under the car.

and this is how i ended up routing the coolant lines. again, if i could weld aluminum or had a ton more money, this could have turned out much better.

i originally wanted PBM uprights that would accept dual wilwood calipers but since they were out of stock i got the OEM/wilwood version. i figured i could just modify them to use my z32 calipers and wilwood. i ended up just modifying them for wilwood/wilwood.

and that's the car so far. i plan to finish it early 2014. i'll update as often as possible. in the meantime, http://www.facebook.com/lunarbomb it's pretty much just a build log for this car and occasional drift related bits.

always open to constructive criticism!
lunarbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
You sir have some skills many wish they had. It sure as hell would make my project easier/quicker if I had machining access. Subscribed!!
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I digg everything about this!

Questions about the rear radiator setup.
-Where is your air intake going to duct from? 1/4 glass?
-Vent back out threw the trunk?
-Plan to have your rad water neck rewelded to add water?

with ur bag of skills already,.. im sure you'd catch on to tigging really fast. DOIT
Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
this build is sick man
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
WOW just FUCKEN WOW!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Finally.....

Now that I'm drooling over this again. Are you going to make the trans tunnel panels quick release like Powers' car?

I want to switch my fuel system to that aeromotive set up. It not only has a internal pump but a surge too from what I have read. So awesome.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Thumbs up

I.... I... Just... WOW!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
lunarbomb
Leaky Injector

thanks folks! i appreciate the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Shinysides View Post
You sir have some skills many wish they had. It sure as hell would make my project easier/quicker if I had machining access. Subscribed!!
thanks man! i don't know where i'd be if my dad hadn't taught me how to machine when i was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
I digg everything about this!

Questions about the rear radiator setup.
-Where is your air intake going to duct from? 1/4 glass?
-Vent back out threw the trunk?
-Plan to have your rad water neck rewelded to add water?

with ur bag of skills already,.. im sure you'd catch on to tigging really fast. DOIT
my original plan was definitely to draw air from the 1/4 glass but i don't really want the car to look too "race car" from the outside. i'm thinking i'll make a PC flip up sunroof and put NACA ducts in it. i have some thoughts on venting the air out the bottom of the trunk but i don't know if i'll have time. i'd like to avoid blasting big holes in the trunk and bumper if possible. i'm really hoping to get away with using the existing filler neck in it's current position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
Finally.....

Now that I'm drooling over this again. Are you going to make the trans tunnel panels quick release like Powers' car?

I want to switch my fuel system to that aeromotive set up. It not only has a internal pump but a surge too from what I have read. So awesome.
yes, i'm definitely making the trans cover quick release but it's going to be a little different from mats car.

...i can't wait to see how the aeromotive cell works. such a clean install and so purdy!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
That steering column is fantastic.

I do not consider my time wasted by visiting this build thread. Bravo.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
FKNGRSY
Leaky Injector

FKNGRSY is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow...

Subscribed.
FKNGRSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
gostrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
can you make me one of these? pm me how much thanks..
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
beautiful build! Cant wait to see more.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Man this car is awesome man keep up the good work. This is what I always hope to see when looking at build threads.

Side note: u have huge nuts of steel for cutting up such a clean kouki. Lol
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
imoverherre
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
imoverherre is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Wow man, now this is some FD prep type of build, to much awesome-ness here, that I forgot about "why in the world, you'd do that to that poor clean kouki" lol

Your making it why much better.

All I got to say it keep up the good work sir. Wish I had at least 30% of your skills.
imoverherre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
deff gonna be keeping up with this build! looks sick so far
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Good lord you sir are talented! Amazing build keep it goin
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
UnknownGuy
Zilvia Member

UnknownGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the awesomeness is starting to burn my eyes......
UnknownGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you still running a GM ECU with a VE tune? I just ask because I noticed the MAF was deleted. What are your future plans for the engine, or is that a secret for now?

Anyway, amazing build. That is some great craftsmanship and attention to detail.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
K crazy

K crazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Such an amazing build. Can't wait for more updates
K crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
aymaeid
Zilvia Junkie

aymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-known
your fab work is inspiring
aymaeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #21
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Amazing build so far!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
S14_kouki504
Zilvia Member

S14_kouki504 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to S14_kouki504
awesome build!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
This is the attention you wanted, that you didn't get from NCD. Haha. Looking forward to the updates.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates?
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
any plans for aero and wheels? hopefully it'll look just as badass as the work you're putting in
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I honestly did not expect this...

Looking REALLY good so far! I'm diggin' your fabrication work!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
lunarbomb
Leaky Injector

again, thanks for all the positive feedback! it motivates me to get this thing done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
Are you still running a GM ECU with a VE tune? I just ask because I noticed the MAF was deleted. What are your future plans for the engine, or is that a secret for now?
the car was set up for SD when i got it. i'm definitely open to thoughts on the subject. i do dream of doing some kind of obnoxious engine build in the future but honestly, i'm not exactly the most proficient drifter. i just want reliability and seat time right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post
any plans for aero and wheels? hopefully it'll look just as badass as the work you're putting in
i'm not quite sure what it's going to look like haha. i can say for sure it will be less FD and more street though.

i finished installing the oil accumulator. this little adapter made short work of it. it was only $40 from some crawler shop. i wish i could remember the shops name.

and i got most of the fuel plumbing done. i would have finished this if i hadn't ordered the wrong fitting for the pump outlet. and i forgot the vents too

Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #28
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Good work sir. good work.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #29
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
wowowowowowowoowowowow didnt expect to see work like this before clicking
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
project lunarbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarbomb View Post
the car was set up for SD when i got it. i'm definitely open to thoughts on the subject. i do dream of doing some kind of obnoxious engine build in the future but honestly, i'm not exactly the most proficient drifter. i just want reliability and seat time right now.
I feel that if you're going for drifting, you won't need any more power than what you already have. I don't have personal experience with speed density tunes, but you might want to double check the tune once everything's back together to iron out your torque curve. These engines do have a high powerband for an OHV V8.