Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
s13 My S13 Build Progress - 56K Warning

Build IndexSo I finally broke down after much debating with myself and just got a storage unit to do the swap instead of paying a shop to do it for me. I'd like to keep updating this as I do more to it each day. I have more pictures located here and I will be keeping them up to date on there as well.

I started this past Saturday so here's the progress up until today...

Day 1 [Back to index]
Got all of my tools moved into the storage unit, laid down some painters plastic to try to keep the liquids off of the floor, and moved the car in there. Also bought an engine hoist since I didn't know how long I'd need it. Brought the laptop with the FSM on it. Yeah, I know, she needs paint.

I also talked to the guys at Enjuku about the parts I'll need and got them "preordered" I guess you could say. I'll be picking up all of the parts and engine (SR Blacktop) on the 16th. Needless to say I'm in debt now

I started by removing the bumper, fender wells, hood, and draining the fluids.

Then I started removing some of the larger parts: radiator, battery, condensor, intake, airbox, etc etc.

After that it was dark and the storage unit doesn't have any electricity so I had to stop.

Day 2 [Back to index]

Today I started by removing the wiring harness which turned out to be a bitch. So many of the plugs were greased over and just plain old that they didn't want to disconnect. I didn't want to clip them because I wasn't sure what I would need so I just had to use a pair of pliers and some elbow grease on some of them.

Once that was done I removed some of the components that were attached to the motor to make way for the engine hoist. Removed the alternator, compressor, distributor, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Day 3 [Back to index]

I got out there late from work on day 3 so there's not much worth noting except I removed the entire exhaust system from the downpipe back. I also removed the shifter from the tranny.

Day 4 (Today) [Back to index]
Today I was able to get the driveshaft disconnected, tranny mount disconnected, and assemble my new engine hoist After that I bolted her up and yanked the KA out. It was surprisingly easier that I thought it would be, came right out.

Victory!

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning her up and primering her for paint!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Shift_Drift_S13

Trader Rating: (0)
Shift_Drift_S13 is on the path to ruinShift_Drift_S13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THAT"S MY CAR.. a year and a 1/2 ago! only mine's an auto... :'( Pix of my work on my car domain. Good luck, definately a fun car to work on... i think any way, i LOVE My S13, i'll never get rid of it.... long as i have a choice that is. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2519819 <there's my baby
Shift_Drift_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
C. Senor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
C. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to C. Senor
haha "victory"...glad to see your takin your time on it...not rushing, learning...most importantly doing it yourself...+1 for you....pretty good quality pics.
C. Senor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
good luck on your car dude....make sure to keep us updated!
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone, I'm glad I went this route instead of relying on someone else to install it.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Once you get out of debt you should consider going premie.

Good job taking MY advice on the storage unit DIY...maybe you should give me that motor.

All jokes aside, congrats on getting yourself in a big mess, and good luck remembering what to do.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
s13gold
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
s13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
nice setup with everything: taking your time is a plus.
props for a DIY
s13gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Oubre
Leaky Injector

Oubre is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant wait for updates, Props for DIYer
Oubre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam
Once you get out of debt you should consider going premie.

Good job taking MY advice on the storage unit DIY...maybe you should give me that motor.

All jokes aside, congrats on getting yourself in a big mess, and good luck remembering what to do.
Haha, I most certainly would give it to you if I had the time to ship it. During the hours they pick up, I am either at school or at work so it's kind of a time crunch.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
I can wait ^.^ I'm just messing with you.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
s14kouki44
Leaky Injector

s14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to alls14kouki44 is a name known to all
damn...how much was that storage unit cuz all the ones around me wouldn't let me store a car unless it was ablle to be started...i was gonna part out an s14
s14kouki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #12
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14kouki44
damn...how much was that storage unit cuz all the ones around me wouldn't let me store a car unless it was ablle to be started...i was gonna part out an s14
They didn't say anything to me about it, all they needed was proof of insurance and a copy of my registration. They've seen me working on it and haven't said anything. I should be done in a couple of weeks though so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal...

Watch them say something tomorrow now that the motor is out.

Oh, and it's $100 a month for the unit. It's the 2nd largest one they have.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 AM   #13
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Dang that KA looks so untouched. Everytime I see a write-up it makes me wanna do a swap myself.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Day 5 [Back to index]

So today I got bogged down installing the hitch on my daily driver so I can rent a trailer to pick up the motorset and parts. Behold, the blue bomber...

Conan O'Brien doesn't have anything on this.

Bought that car for $1000 from my last job when they shut down, hell of a deal even though I hate Fords.

Anyways, back on topic. I really only have like 2 and a half hours of daylight after I get off of work at 5pm during the week so there wasn't much else I could do. I did start cleaning the engine bay as well as the storage unit itself though. After pulling the motor, a lot of fluids drained out on the floor beneath the car so I got all of that up and placed some new plastic under the car.

Then I started going at it with degreaser. I got some of the bay cleaned, but there are still some things attached to the firewall that I need to remove before I can thoroughly clean it.

I also bought paint for the engine bay. Initially I was just going to paint it red like the rest of the car. Then today I saw someone on here with a red 240 and a black engine bay and it looked really nice so I bought some black paint today instead. I'll just use the red I already bought to accent some of the other engine components.

I forgot to take my camera today but I'll get pictures tomorrow. There wasn't really much progress to take pictures of honestly unless you like pictures of dirt To satiate my picture quota for the day, here's a Dr. Claw-esque picture of me in research mode, enjoy!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
civilized_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

civilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to civilized_drifter
nice build up.....btw i like college humor 2
civilized_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
nisans13turbo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
nisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84
Day 5

So today I got bogged down installing the hitch on my daily driver so I can rent a trailer to pick up the motorset and parts. Behold, the blue bomber...

Conan O'Brien doesn't have anything on this.

Bought that car for $1000 from my last job when they shut down, hell of a deal even though I hate Fords.

Anyways, back on topic. I really only have like 2 and a half hours of daylight after I get off of work at 5pm during the week so there wasn't much else I could do. I did start cleaning the engine bay as well as the storage unit itself though. After pulling the motor, a lot of fluids drained out on the floor beneath the car so I got all of that up and placed some new plastic under the car.

Then I started going at it with degreaser. I got some of the bay cleaned, but there are still some things attached to the firewall that I need to remove before I can thoroughly clean it.

I also bought paint for the engine bay. Initially I was just going to paint it red like the rest of the car. Then today I saw someone on here with a red 240 and a black engine bay and it looked really nice so I bought some black paint today instead. I'll just use the red I already bought to accent some of the other engine components.

I forgot to take my camera today but I'll get pictures tomorrow. There wasn't really much progress to take pictures of honestly unless you like pictures of dirt To satiate my picture quota for the day, here's a Dr. Claw-esque picture of me in research mode, enjoy!
wow, 3 monitors!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisans13turbo
wow, 3 monitors!
It's rediculous, really.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #18
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139

aww thats such a cute pic ! i love how its all neat and laid out

seriously you are Hcore doing a swap in a storage unit with no electricity.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

haha, yes I know. When I really want to work on it, I have an inverter I plug up to the blue bomber and a drop light I hook up to that, works out well just wish I didn't have to move the light around under the car and shit.

Plus I have to leave the car running so I don't kill the battery which sucks.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #20
derek_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
derek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to derek_s13

^^ that's the cleanest SOHC i've ever seen.

you're a fuckin trooper for doing that shit in a storage container. i don't have that kind
of motivation. keep it up man.
derek_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #21
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

haha, thanks. I'm surprised you guys think it's clean, I thought it was horribly dirty. Maybe because I was fixated on the bottom end which was completely covered in oil that had leaked over the years, but the top end looks great! haha

BTW, anyone going to the Gator Nationals around here this weekend? I don't think anyone is really from this area so probably not. I won't be there, but I'm doing the swap like... a mile or so from the strip.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #22
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by koukimonster139

aww thats such a cute pic ! i love how its all neat and laid out
i was thinking the exact same thing, it looks like a movie set, not something in the real world
BustedS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #23
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisans13turbo
wow, 3 monitors!
some people take their post whoring to extremes.....
Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
^ rofl.

hipocracy at its best
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #25
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Day 6 [Back to index]

Today I got quite a bit done and I remembered my camera I started by finally taking out the rest of the power steering lines. I was having a hard time before because so much stuff was in the way but I was finally able to get in there... literally in there sitting. After that I removed some of the other stuff in the bay like the resevoir and wiper motor. I also disattached the passenger side fuse box and hung it over the side of the fender to get it out of the way.

I then used a pair of pliers to pull all of the plastic ziptie straps that hold the cables to the body. I bought new ones so I wanted to replace all of them. I plan on bundling all of the wires extremely nice also so that I can minimize their visibility in the bay as much as possible. I have to find somewhere that sells nice long runs of the thermal wrap, anyone know where? I bought some from auto zone and some other places, but none of them are more than a few inches long. I'd like to have a spool of it if possible, that'd be really nice. Anyways...

After that it was on with the degreaser, a paint scraper, and three rolls of shop towels.

BEFORE

AFTER

The dark area near the driver side firewall is actually where the paint has come off, not dirt. But that doesn't mean I'm finished cleaning it. I plan on getting a few cheap toothbrushes tomorrow and trying to get in some of the small spots. Also, I wasn't able to clean the area where the battery was very well. The battery tray area is partially corroded and hard to clean. Anyone know how to get rid of that thing? It seems to be welded down but it would be awesome to just get it out of there. Here's what it looks like currently:

I also have a question for everyone, is the canister needed after the swap? I'm 99.9% sure it's not but I don't know what to do with this metal line here that was running to it:

It looks like it runs to the back of the car, I guess to the fuel pump maybe? It was connected to the canister, I took it off today so I could clean that area. What should I do with that tube?

Other than that, tomorrow is the big day. I got the trailer today and I'll be leaving early tomorrow for Orlando to pick up the motor and parts. I'll have pictures of everything around noon tomorrow so check back. I'll be prepping the motor for installation tomorrow night as well as finishing cleaning the bay and primering it for paint on Saturday (hopefully I'll get that much done tomorrow evening )

On top of all of this, I also became a premie today Figured I would be doing a lot more contributing to Zilvia from now on out so that was a good place to start contributing.

EDIT: I meant to ask this, how did everyone get their motor mounts off? I assume with just a wrench but mine do NOT want to come off. I'm worried I'm going to screw the nuts up. Do you get new nuts with new motor mounts typically?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #26
civilized_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

civilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to civilized_drifter
clean ass engine bay
civilized_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #27
d*star180
Zilvia Junkie

d*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond repute
very nice progress so far man.
Keep us updated till the end.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #28
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d*star180
very nice progress so far man.
Keep us updated till the end.
Thanks a lot, I most definately will.

And to the person who just neg. repped me without posting, being a premie has already paid off on the first day. I know who you are.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #29
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

yo, the long tube to the back of the car is the fuel tank ventilation im almost positive.

as far as the battery tray, drill out the spot welds with either a regular drill bit or buy a spot weld drill bit to make it a little easier.

you may need an impact for those mounts.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #30
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Hmmm, so I'm going to want to keep the canister then to facilitate that? I'll have to hide it somewhere then, hah. Trying to get as much out of the bay as possible.

Drilling the welds out might not be a bad idea, I will already have to in order to cut a hole for the intercooler piping. I'll check tomorrow to see exactly where the welds are.

I tried a breaker bar on the mounts but you can't get it in there quite straight so it doesn't work. The bolts area kind of inset within that brace.

EDIT: Just found my answer pertaining to that vacuum line thanks to Russ. The answer is here for reference later if anyone needs it:

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...light=canister