Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Wanted to Buy

Wanted to Buy Post your needs and wants here.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
husky
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
husky is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Need Help with a valve cover paint job

Hey ladies and gentlemen

I'm trying to see if anyone can or knows someone who can replicate the HKS valve cover paint job.

I've included a picture to show what I'm talking about. I will be providing the valve cover

Thanks in advance

Husik

husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The paint will take some time, but can be done. The center cover is unique though, but if you have it, nothing a wrinkle black powder coat can't fix.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
The paint will take some time, but can be done. The center cover is unique though, but if you have it, nothing a wrinkle black powder coat can't fix.

Hey
Basically I'm just looking for someone to paint the HKS Scheme on the valve cover. The spark plug cover and oil cap I've already have had for awhile.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky View Post
Hey
Basically I'm just looking for someone to paint the HKS Scheme on the valve cover. The spark plug cover and oil cap I've already have had for awhile.
Why not just cut that out of vinyl and just coat the valve cover 1 color? Painting and masking would cost a fortune.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
Why not just cut that out of vinyl and just coat the valve cover 1 color? Painting and masking would cost a fortune.
Hey
Not sure how well vinyl would be on a hot valve cover. If it was a decorative piece I think that would work but on a actually engine I'm not so sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hey
Not sure how well vinyl would be on a hot valve cover. If it was a decorative piece I think that would work but on a actually engine I'm not so sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong
220° should be ok. Long term you might have problems but vinyl is easy to remove and reinstall once you have the digital file. Easy for me to say since that's what I do for a living but I still think it's going to be a better way to go for ya.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 AM   #7
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
220° should be ok. Long term you might have problems but vinyl is easy to remove and reinstall once you have the digital file. Easy for me to say since that's what I do for a living but I still think it's going to be a better way to go for ya.
Interesting. ........So could you print large vinyl of the print but in high resolution? I would mind trying it out. Worse case Iwould at least have the vinyl print if I ended up going with paint.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #8
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Well no. You would paint the cover the base color, then do cut vinyl for the accents. You would need to find all the right colors (3m, arlon, etc.) Then have someone outline and size the artwork in vector. Not something I really could help with as a side project but if you went to your local fastsigns I bet they could help.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Well no. You would paint the cover the base color, then do cut vinyl for the accents. You would need to find all the right colors (3m, arlon, etc.) Then have someone outline and size the artwork in vector. Not something I really could help with as a side project but if you went to your local fastsigns I bet they could help.
Oh ok. Well at least you've given me some options to go forward with. I just need to find a local shop that does custom vinyls. I've gone to a couple of regular ones and most just do words/simple stuff.
Thanks for the help
Old 02-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
husky
Zilvia Member

Opps supposed to be a happy face

Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #11
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Hydro dipping may be another option.

Found this online:

http://voyleshydrographics.com/photo-gallery/

Their pricing seems reasonable, too.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #12
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Hydro dipping may be another option.

Found this online:

http://voyleshydrographics.com/photo-gallery/

Their pricing seems reasonable, too.

Hey
I thought about that also, wasn't too sure if it would be okay for a valve cover but it seems like they've done plenty. The price is really reasonable tho. It looks like it cost roughly $80 which is probably way cheaper then if I were to get it painted in high heat paint

I think at this point my biggest hurdle is trying to find defile or something with the HKS scheme.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
I'm sure they can do that for you.

I'll be looking into this myself soon since I have a few SR valve covers I'm holding onto as displays.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
harrypotter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
harrypotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Dolph_KYAS13 made an amazing one for his RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
No worries.

I originally posted a how too in the valvecover thread but I keep getting PM's about this so here are my secrets revealed

First I made an illustrator file for the shapes of the livery. It was damn near impossible to find a good pattern in high resolution but after searching forever I found someone had created and traced it in Illustrator.

I had the Shapes cut out in low tac vinyl at a local signage shop.

To prep the covers themselves, I sanded them down to remove the factory casting marks so the vinyl stencils would adhere and paint would not bleed.

I used zinc chromite primer (read the label follow the instructions) and primed the sanded valve covers.

First colour to go on was the red, I then used pin stripe tape to mask the red lines. The paint used was just Kylon spray paint I bought at Canadian Tire but im pretty sure its available at walmart in the states.

Once the red was all masked, I painted the covers purple. After leaving it to try overnight (there is a lot of waiting) I used the stencils to mask the purple part of the livery.

It was just a matter of repeating the steps with the green, applying the stencils and then painting the whole thing black.

Once dry, carefully peel off the stencils. This is the best part as all the waiting pays off. After all the stencils were removed, I sprayed a thick coat of clear over the everything.

Like everything else painted, its all in the prep-work. I used regular primer at first and it did not adhere to the aluminum. Take your time and make sure everything is 100% dry between coats and stencil application and it should work out just fine.

-Jordie
Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
husky
Zilvia Member

Holy Crap that looks amazing.
I just wonder how long it lasted. I know Krylon paint isn't designed for heat.
I should just hire Dolph_KYAS13 to do mine lol. Definitely going to contact to see if he still has the file so i can get vinyl stencils made.

Thanks a lot harrypotter
Old 09-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #16
UCLA.lion

Trader Rating: (0)
UCLA.lion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i know this thread old, but i traced the pattern and if people want to print it out

here it is!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmz...ew?usp=sharing
UCLA.lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #17
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLA.lion View Post
i know this thread old, but i traced the pattern and if people want to print it out

here it is!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmz...ew?usp=sharing

Oh man!!!! 😲 Thank you soooo much. I teied to do the pattern but I'm terrible at anything related to computers. Plus all my friends around me are lazy bums so they didn't help LOL.
I'm definitely going to start working on the valve cover throughout the winter so I can finally have it like I want
Thank you again!!!!!!! 😁
Old 09-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
UCLA.lion

Quote:
Oh man!!!! 😲 Thank you soooo much. I teied to do the pattern but I'm terrible at anything related to computers. Plus all my friends around me are lazy bums so they didn't help LOL.
I'm definitely going to start working on the valve cover throughout the winter so I can finally have it like I want
Thank you again!!!!!!! 😁
LOL thought you'd be done. I traced it because im going to do my brembo calipers in this pattern :P
Old 09-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #19
husky
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLA.lion View Post
LOL thought you'd be done. I traced it because im going to do my brembo calipers in this pattern :P
Nope. After I wasn't able to get the people around me to do it and I got busy around the same time so I pretty much put this project aside. Now that you sent me the file for the pattern it's sparked up the desire to finish it
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
UCLA.lion

Painted my calipers using the decals I traced out. Made them slightly bigger

Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #21
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
While I’m not huge on the pattern, Zilvia needs more of this. Awesome work, and thank you for sharing it with the community here. It looks great on the calipers.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #22
UCLA.lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
While I’m not huge on the pattern, Zilvia needs more of this. Awesome work, and thank you for sharing it with the community here. It looks great on the calipers.
Thanks! Finished off the pattern with the red striping and added brembo decals

Old 04-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #23
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
These look wild. I need to redo my valvecovers again, the heat has not been nice to them.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Corona Virus Season gave me the time I needed to knock this out.

This time I sanded and painted my spare set of covers in satin black.

Had my friend Mike Martino (@designshopreact on instagram) print and cut the vinyl. I decided to try this method over the stencil method to see how it goes. I opted for the more recent teal version of the livery for an updated look.

I just need to clear the covers to seal everything in and we should be good to go!