Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
So, what is everybody doing for s14 gas tanks these days?

FRsport and Enjuku seem to be out.

What is everyone doing? Used seems like a sucky alternative, being old and plastic doesn't seem much more than a band-aid. We all fuel cell from here on out? Just curious as I feel this will be a huge problem for s14 owners down the road, interesting to see the current idea to fix. I don't need right now, but it's something I constantly think about with the s14 and I suppose next time will be a fuel cell.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I wonder if S15 will fit

I already know they have the same 'lid'

There has to be a car with a similar shape tank out there somewhere. Somebody needs to just measure 999 of them to find it.

BTW where do they tend to crack? I have a 96 that isn't cracked yet and wondering when/where... too lazy to look it up... /spooonf
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Ryosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura about
I'm actually researching how to go about doing a fuel cell in one of my s14s. Not really to sure how to go about it yet. Stepping outside to your car finding leaky gas all over the place is not fun. If I noticed anything it seems like the darker colored factory colors will crack sooner than let's say Aspen white. My emerald blue s14 always gets really hot throughout the day and it seems like that might have something to do with it. Where as the white one doesn't retain heat and is still holding up fine. Mine cracked on the passenger side bottom buldge that's over subframe and a pinhole size where the lid is where the lines and connectors meet.
Ryosuke Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
sXe240

sXe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am still learning about my s14 and I didn't even know about this issue. Luckily I checked and mine looks okay for now. Maybe contact an importer and see if they have any gas tanks in Japan you could get shipped here.
sXe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Can you not get them directly from the dealership? That's where I got mine
Old 10-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I wonder if S15 will fit
S14 and S15 shared the same part# for the tank. Currently discontinued.

My advice is to search for a professional plastic repair shop focusing in hazardous materials storage. My crack formed on the passenger side just above the seam.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
S14 and S15 shared the same part# for the tank. Currently discontinued.

My advice is to search for a professional plastic repair shop focusing in hazardous materials storage. My crack formed on the passenger side just above the seam.
Well this is interesting.

This gives me the excuse I need to import an S15 for "parts".

yeah, man, parts... $9000 for a naturally aspirated S15 with no drivetrain so I can get a $5 fuel tank
seriously though there are at least 5 importers within 100 miles of me that regularly bring back all manner of half-cut silvia stuff for the last 20 years. One of them must have an S15 tank they would part with. If they do not destroy them somehow that is. to be continued...

-> random found one in Cali
https://www.ebay.com/itm/240sx-s14-f...7Rq:rk:19:pf:0
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
You can certainly find used ones, but the general way plastic rot is I am not sure that is more than a bad-aid for a short time.

I thought about pulling mine and rhino coating it. Or a fuel cell, but man - idk if I want to do that drastic of a change especially for a car I still cruise in every so often.

Hoffman - dealerships seems to be out (or at least the majority) as it is now officially discontinued for I believe 2 years?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Ahhh the main reason I got rid of my Zenki... aside from the shitty sunroof trim moulding.

IIRC, the issue seemed to only affect Zenki and not koukis from the last time I broached this topic.

Have fun with this one, guys.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I’m around 250,000 miles on chassis with no issues at all (95 Zenki). Why not just go with fuel cell?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Ryosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura aboutRyosuke Takahashi has a spectacular aura about
You cant legally smog the car in cali once you go fuel cell.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosuke Takahashi View Post
You cant legally smog the car in cali once you go fuel cell.
I was not aware of this, for the S13 people you can register as classic. Zenki's will soon be able to 2020/2021 and obviously Kouki's after that.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I just picked up tank #3 yesterday. I have a 98...

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
All the tanks are the same spanning all years.
Laurels,R33/34, etc all share the same tank. Who knows with Nissan replicating old parts for Skylines maybe will see an updated tank for us S-chassis folks.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #15
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
I was not aware of this, for the S13 people you can register as classic. Zenki's will soon be able to 2020/2021 and obviously Kouki's after that.
do you have any further info on this? I have never heard of a classic car exemption for CA (just the 75 or older). I did manage to find this which states if your vehicle is older than 25 years old, it becomes smog exempt. I don't think that's accurate.

https://www.carsdirect.com/dmv/do-cl...-in-California

I couldn't find anything on the dmv site other than this:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
(it states that your car has to be 35 years or older to skip out on some portions of a smog check.)
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

https://www.dmv.com/ca/california/cu...e-registration

While this is vague and not even from actual DMV/CA, the document you provided is from 2012. I have seen this someone else but not sure on the DMV of CA's actual site. I myself have been looking for this too. I will be registered out of state soon so this wont be an issue. Back onto topic however, in regards to the fuel cell. Is this banned due to venting/re-circulation of gases? What if one provides original canister and has the proper routing of an original system?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
sXe240

sXe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about in California but here in Nj my Zenki already qualifies for that. No inspection needed just have to register it and insure it that's all.
sXe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #18
loser101
Leaky Injector

loser101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to loser101
Should start a gofundme fund to make injection molds of the gas tank.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Wasn't someone recently having a hard time giving a good one away? A real shame if that went to the trash. Anyway, only thing I can think of is a custom made metal one. Shouldn't be that hard for someone with experience. As long as it's seated properly, the rest should be easy.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #20
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Maybe this fuel tank problem is a blessing indisguise. If a fuel cell was installed in the trunk. Wouldnt that extra space where the OEM one sat create more clearance to further raise the subframe?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #21
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
I wonder if S15 will fit

I already know they have the same 'lid'

There has to be a car with a similar shape tank out there somewhere. Somebody needs to just measure 999 of them to find it.

BTW where do they tend to crack? I have a 96 that isn't cracked yet and wondering when/where... too lazy to look it up... /spooonf
Typically would crack just above the banding strap for the tank.

I cut into my back seat to get to it and plastic patched it when mine cracked.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #22
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Ahhh the main reason I got rid of my Zenki... aside from the shitty sunroof trim moulding.

IIRC, the issue seemed to only affect Zenki and not koukis from the last time I broached this topic.

Have fun with this one, guys.
I’ve seen the theory, but like FaLKon240 below, I have known kouki people it affected too - so I don’t think the theory of it being a Zenki issue only is completely true. There is another theory that the crack is caused by bad subframe bushings causing the subframe to bounce / put pressure on the tank. Maybe there is some validity to that? Would be interesting to see if someone with solid or poly bushings experienced the problem after replacing the bushings.

The real issue IMO is that Nissan used plastic. It was stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
I’m around 250,000 miles on chassis with no issues at all (95 Zenki). Why not just go with fuel cell?
Fuel cells are not cheap (at least for safer and reputable ones), not super easy to hook up, and simply unsafe for a Daily or a street cruiser. A rear end collision could be disastrous, You def have to fabricate a firewall and cage/ tube the trunk area to guarantee the safest fitting. You also lose trunk space, lose capacity in many cases, and lose simple stuff like fuel gauge readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
I just picked up tank #3 yesterday. I have a 98...
Sigh. Friggin Nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
All the tanks are the same spanning all years.
Laurels,R33/34, etc all share the same tank. Who knows with Nissan replicating old parts for Skylines maybe will see an updated tank for us S-chassis folks.
Nissan today cares very little (re: not at all) about us. I can’t see that happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser101 View Post
Should start a gofundme fund to make injection molds of the gas tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Wasn't someone recently having a hard time giving a good one away? A real shame if that went to the trash. Anyway, only thing I can think of is a custom made metal one. Shouldn't be that hard for someone with experience. As long as it's seated properly, the rest should be easy.
To answer both of you - I once floated this on a local board a few years back. I thought it would be simple, doesn’t sound hard right? A dude that I know has extensive knowledge of fabrication and meta engineering chimed in and apparently it’s actually a seriously difficult process and would be insanely costly. I don’t remember the reasons, but gas tanks are apparently much more complex than one initially thinks. I thought of a go fund me up until his super detailed response, and I realized it was incredibly unlikely it would ever happen.

Quote:
Maybe this fuel tank problem is a blessing indisguise. If a fuel cell was installed in the trunk. Wouldnt that extra space where the OEM one sat create more clearance to further raise the subframe?
Definitely a positive aspect. I just feel like there are several negatives as well, and not sure it justifies it fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Typically would crack just above the banding strap for the tank.

I cut into my back seat to get to it and plastic patched it when mine cracked.

A good fix (when it works), but definitely a band-aid. Still thinking cell is the best “permanent” route, but ugh. I really am thinking about doing the pesky subframe pull just to get mine coated in rhino shield while it is still mint, and see if that ends up making a difference in the long run.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
There is another theory that the crack is caused by bad subframe bushings causing the subframe to bounce / put pressure on the tank. Maybe there is some validity to that? Would be interesting to see if someone with solid or poly bushings experienced the problem after replacing the bushings.
very interesting idea. I wonder if there is a correlation between manual transmission cars + cracked fuel tanks, given the prevalence of bad subframe bushings and manual transmission vs automatic cars without that issue. The 96 I have is original auto, still auto, and doesn't have a cracked fuel tank yet...

so anyone with an auto car, acquired a cracked tank with the auto and good subframe bushings... all it would take is 1 person to come forward to more or less eliminate the theory.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #24
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
There is another theory that the crack is caused by bad subframe bushings causing the subframe to bounce / put pressure on the tank. Maybe there is some validity to that?
When I pulled mine out the oem bushings were still fresh. No play or stress cracks. Very firm for a old car. Even all the subframe arms weren't oxidized and very easy to break loose without much effort. But I remember the hose under the engine bay for the fuel filter burst. And when I went to replace the fuel filter, I checked it out and it was very constipated. Barely any air pressure could get through. So I'm thinking maybe it caused some back pressure in the fuel system causing the actual tank to crack open. My car is also a 94 auto
Old 10-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #25
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
When I pulled mine out the oem bushings were still fresh. No play or stress cracks. Very firm for a old car. Even all the subframe arms weren't oxidized and very easy to break loose without much effort. But I remember the hose under the engine bay for the fuel filter burst. And when I went to replace the fuel filter, I checked it out and it was very constipated. Barely any air pressure could get through. So I'm thinking maybe it caused some back pressure in the fuel system causing the actual tank to crack open. My car is also a 94 auto
isn't a 94 a convertible S13 with a metal fuel tank
Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

No it's a 9/94 s14.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:40 PM   #27
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

thanks. So that didn't take long. New theory: tank pressure causes crack to form? Sounds reasonable enough. The plot thickens...

All I know is tomorrow I am calling everyone I know and looking for some spare fuel tanks. This threads got me all kinds of worried.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #28
Ryosuke Takahashi
Zilvia Member

Ya even after finding another spare tank and installing it in it still smelled like gas. There was no leaks but I was scratching my head for the longest time. Until I found out the seal on my gas filler cap was shit now as well. I got a replacement and the smell went away. So like my whole fuel delivery system took a huge shit on me.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #29
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ya even after finding another spare tank and installing it in it still smelled like gas. There was no leaks but I was scratching my head for the longest time. Until I found out the seal on my gas filler cap was shit now as well. I got a replacement and the smell went away. So like my whole fuel delivery system took a huge shit on me.
gas filler cap, so what part is this? Is that something you can fix from the outside of the car, or? Easy to replace? Where do you get the new part?

I've got so much to learn about the fuel tank area, it makes me sick.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #30
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Quote:
very interesting idea. I wonder if there is a correlation between manual transmission cars + cracked fuel tanks, given the prevalence of bad subframe bushings and manual transmission vs automatic cars without that issue. The 96 I have is original auto, still auto, and doesn't have a cracked fuel tank yet...

so anyone with an auto car, acquired a cracked tank with the auto and good subframe bushings... all it would take is 1 person to come forward to more or less eliminate the theory.
My original 95 auto developed a crack in the typical spot while it was still an auto with decent condition bushings.

I suspect it’s a manufacturing defect. Every leak I’ve heard of is in the same spot every time. I’d be willing to bet that the plastic gets very thin in the area.