Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
aftermarket steering wheel question

My last two 240 came with an aftermarket steering wheel already installed, quick release.

I like it but since I didnt install it, I am not sure if its even installed correctly.

I noticed on both cars that the large center nut that holds the steering wheel on seems to come loose all by itself after 3-4 months.

So here is my question before I get crazy and stake the dang thing.

Is there some kind of special hardware I am maybe missing? A lock washer perhaps? Any harm in adding one?
Or a special way to tight this specific nut?

Because I tried loc-tite and a wrench and that doesn't last very long. And I am afraid to overtighten it or break it...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
That interesting? Even on track and DD I've never had that come loose.

It says 30 FTLB, which isn't a lot....

Are you getting alot of vibrations through the column? that is a weird problem.

Is your nut a flange nut?
Old 02-04-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
The car is smooth as warm butter flowing down from a heated blanket, no suspension issue or alignment or vibration to speak of.

I don't recall it having a flange or any kind of locking or washer mechanism. And maybe that is what I need for it.

Its weird both cars have the exact same issue, but luckily there are 99 ways to stop a nut from going loose. I just dont wana ruin it, steering wheel mods scare me, kinda wish it had the OEM wheel still. But the thought of fooling with a 25 year old airbag system is also scary so... yeah Im pretty happy with the Quick release

If there is no issue with me using a lock washer and/or serrated flange nut I will be visiting Ace shortly....
any chance you have the thread spec handy?
Old 02-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
SilviaSativa
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
SilviaSativa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Are you sure you're getting it torqued to spec? I just installed my Nardi wheel last weekend and made the mistake of torquing that nut to spec after putting the wheel on the hub lol..

30lbs didn't seem like much but I felt like the torque wrench wasn't registering, so I lowered the torque wrench setting to make sure I wasn't about to break something then increased it back to 30 ft/lbs. I think it just felt like a lot from holding the steering wheel with one hand and tightening the nut with the torque wrench in the other hand.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
On my other car, it came with a barbed washer on the original wheel

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
cream

Trader Rating: (0)
cream is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine has also never came loose that I know of but the WB quick release covers the bolt... If it matters I always need a steering wheel puller to get it off the splines even with the nut removed. Can always use some blue loctite incase incase it does get loose..
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Its fine atm but if it comes loose again I am going to try the flanged/serrated style nut next if i can find one.
maybe a lock washer if there are plenty of threads

Mainly was just wondering if I am missing some kind of hardware or installation procedure I've never installed an aftermarket steering wheel,

thanks