Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #31
eklipse38
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
eklipse38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Awesome build I can't wait to see the finished product.
eklipse38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
pigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
if thats going to be the final angle of your tires "lock to lock" then daaaaaaaaaaaaamn son!!!!!!!!!! thats ill!!
I think I'm going to make a one piece flca and tension rod, because even after extending my flca I'm still all up on the tension rod. I need more room, so possibly more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthegrind View Post
This car is insane... and your fab skills are just as insane!
Thanks! There both a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy- View Post
Best build thread! Great ideal with the doors!
Thank you

Waiting on some parts to show up this week. Been at work all weekend. Some more progress this next week and weekend.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
[email protected]
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
Paul@mastermindna.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy0uth View Post
Are you on MA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
MA? No I don't think so, Local forum?

I drove a Nov event in 2011, car broke some rockers around lunch so not a whole lot of driving.
MA240SX.net <-------Click
It is our local forum.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
I got this idea from my jeep, I like being able to just lift the doors off. So I cut up the door brackets/hinges what ever you want to call them and made it so I can just lift the door skins off.
This is brilliant. Could you talk about what you did a little more?

I thought it was a good idea when I built my car but looking at the OEM hinge it didn't seem like an easy task. My garage ain't huge and I'd love to take the doors off sometimes.

Stock:
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedobear Run Kids View Post
MA240SX.net <-------Click
It is our local forum.
Thanks, I check it out. I have a couple things left to sell too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandevilhorns View Post
This is brilliant. Could you talk about what you did a little more?

I thought it was a good idea when I built my car but looking at the OEM hinge it didn't seem like an easy task. My garage ain't huge and I'd love to take the doors off sometimes.
The s13 is slightly different I think, The part of the door on the s13 is more of a sleeve that fits inside of the mount that bolts to the car. Ill take better pictures of it here soon.
But all I did was hammer the pin out, cut the top of the bracket off, cut the pin in half and insert it in from the bottom up and weld it in place. I would not recommend it really. There is a good amount of slop in the door now, however I completely gutted my doors, so it is strictly a skin that weights next to nothing. Ill get a few shots of it on there so it will make sense.

Driving up to Elite JDM and stopping by Chaser tomorrow on my day off this week. Fiber glass pictures soon.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #36
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Heim joints are you going to use for the FLCA can you give a link. My Gawd what awesome fab work!
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
holy shit
10char
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #38
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Here a few more of the door situation
Just a skin, cut out all the important stuff lol

When its shut its pretty solid, and as soon as you unlatch it you can lift it straight up and off the car and out of the way.
I think the biggest thing that it will help with will be getting in and out of the car after putting it on a open trailer.

Needed a front central jack mount so I made a butt plug..
Having a good solid notcher has made a huge difference. I started out trying to just use my electric grinder to fit pipe and could get it close but never perfect.

Zero gaps has made learning to TIG a lot easier

Melted it in place after closing off the bottom and grinding it out smooth.

Drove up to Elite JDM in Philly to pick up some 40mm front fenders 50mm rears, both origin. Needed the space up front for the new control arms and angle and the rears for the zero gap fitment due to me having no stock metal out back and I didn't want there to be dead space back there.
Stopped in Chaser on the way up and grabbed a BN type 2 kit.
So the idea is silvia front obviously, BN, Gloss black inside and out

Going to have to glass some stuff, like the fuel door since I wont need that, and the side skirt cause there almost 2 inches short.

Trunk lid, going to loose the factory wing and weld up the holes
Now I have all the panels I can start on the rear tube structure to hold the lights, fenders, deck lid, and the bumper and make it all fit nice and tight.

Got this freakin sweet shifter so I can move it closer to me

and practiced on some stainless in prep for attempting to fab my own headers...

Im to the point now where my to do list has grown again, and now that its not freezing outside my motivation is picking up.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrfiter22 View Post
What Heim joints are you going to use for the FLCA can you give a link. My Gawd what awesome fab work!
Circle Track Racing Rod Ends | Dirt Track Heim Joints | QA1 Precision Products

I used stuff from QA1, 5/8 and 3/4 heims

The Chassis Shop

Chassis Shop carries Aurora stuff too which I think a lot of guys use too.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #40
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
But how big of a spacer for the rod ends?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #41
pigeon
Leaky Injector

I forget off the top of my head, I used dial calipers to measure the sub frame and then subtracted the size of the heim and then lathed up some spacers. I don't know of they sell any that would be the exact fit or not.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #42
TekuDrifter18
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
TekuDrifter18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Do you work in a fab shop at all? Progress looks great.
TekuDrifter18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #43
IsBettyBish

IsBettyBish is an unknown quantity at this point
Two suggestions.

1. Don't paint the car black. Why? You are spending so much time in the details of the chassis and the black will just cover all that up. In that respect and respect to your work, you should look at doing a different color. Maybe even a flamboyant flake! lol

2. This car would look way sweeter with a set of Regamasters!
IsBettyBish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #44
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
mmmmmmm dat motor bay... and you were saying with the front lca's modified you were going to get more angle!?!?!?!?!?! jeesh! lol how would you go around making room for that in the wheel well? how did you do that in the first place???? xD sweet progress though!
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #45
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekuDrifter18 View Post
Do you work in a fab shop at all? Progress looks great.
No I don't. I wish I did, however I have spent quite a bit of time around that stuff when I lived in Charlotte. I got to sweep floors/apprentice at a sweet skid racing shop and spent all my time making mental notes and asking the crazy Kiwi's a million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsBettyBish View Post
Two suggestions.

1. Don't paint the car black. Why? You are spending so much time in the details of the chassis and the black will just cover all that up. In that respect and respect to your work, you should look at doing a different color. Maybe even a flamboyant flake! lol

2. This car would look way sweeter with a set of Regamasters!
No argument at all on the Regamasters. I am awaiting them haha.
Either all black everything, or maybe a white interior and bright red outside... the car was already red once tho. I would like for the car to be subtle and the driving to be the thing that sticks out if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
mmmmmmm dat motor bay... and you were saying with the front lca's modified you were going to get more angle!?!?!?!?!?! jeesh! lol how would you go around making room for that in the wheel well? how did you do that in the first place???? xD sweet progress though!
I have the s14 lowers and made them longer, giving me more space in the wheel well. Ill run a small 17x9 but it was hitting on the tension rod.
So I figured I could make an arm some what similar to a wisefab style control arm except out of chromoly tube. Im trying it out just to see if I can.. we'll see what happens haha
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #46
IsBettyBish

IsBettyBish is an unknown quantity at this point
White interior would look good. Maybe you should go with a grey exterior. You can keep the neon wheels and it will look good with that pallet. It would be a better version of the original MA zombie car.
IsBettyBish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
Petitt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Petitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

Awesome build.
Petitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #48
Matthew Murphy
Leaky Injector

Matthew Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow this thing is absolutely amazing your welds are some of the nicest welds I've seen out of a 'hobbiest' ever tried titanium?

Also are you just the button pusher on those five axis machines or are you able to make/edit the program and proficient in the set up of the machine (ie... Locate tools load program clamp part to the table etc...) loving what your doing with the car?
Matthew Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #49
I<3BEWBZ
Zilvia Member

I<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the rough
Oh fuck yea. Subscribed.
I<3BEWBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #50
project7x
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
project7x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow. By far one of the best builds I've ever seen. Big props. I love how many bars you put in. As a tig welder myself, I have to say you are doing a fantastic job.
project7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #51
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsBettyBish View Post
White interior would look good. Maybe you should go with a grey exterior. You can keep the neon wheels and it will look good with that pallet. It would be a better version of the original MA zombie car.
There's no toping the zombie car lol 9k rpm SR= winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murphy View Post
Wow this thing is absolutely amazing your welds are some of the nicest welds I've seen out of a 'hobbiest' ever tried titanium?

Also are you just the button pusher on those five axis machines or are you able to make/edit the program and proficient in the set up of the machine (ie... Locate tools load program clamp part to the table etc...) loving what your doing with the car?
Never tried titanium. I can set the machine up, load tools and programs, basically everything but modify and write the programs. Have the ability to insert jumps into the program if I only need to run the last hour of a 8hr. part etc. The computers that run the machines do not have the CAD/CAM software on them. All that is left up to the big guys up front that get paid a lot more. So a button pusher basically haha
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #52
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by project7x View Post
Wow. By far one of the best builds I've ever seen. Big props. I love how many bars you put in. As a tig welder myself, I have to say you are doing a fantastic job.
Thanks, I've been working on not over heating, I know that Chromoly can be very easily overdone but Ill save that for the next chassis.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #53
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome build, man! You started this exactly how I did mine. Now, I'm knee deep in more fab than 90% of people do to these cars lol
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #54
dsc4130
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
dsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nicedsc4130 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you ever worked on or built nhra pro stock or pro mod cars? Lol those door hinges look like the ones from my work hahah
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #55
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc4130 View Post
Have you ever worked on or built nhra pro stock or pro mod cars? Lol those door hinges look like the ones from my work hahah
No, not yet. lol

Been slow lately on the progress, lots of searching and part collecting for a bit of a twist motor wise. I'm going to sell the LS1 that I have a go with a 5.3 iron block instead. I've got ls6 intake, ported throttle body, katech rod bolts, comp trunion upgrades for the rockers, going to do a ls6 cam with upgraded valve springs and pushrods, metal headgaskets and arp headstuds and flip those truck manifolds around and bolt a turbo on this thing and try and make a solid 550 with a safe tune and moderate boost. Mostly just to put my welding practice to the test. Being able to fab all of the piping makes going turbo way more cost effective than chasing 450+ with a NA LS. Plus turbos are cool.
Gonna try and get it all nice and clean, I'm gonna try out Vibrants wiggens style clamps for the intercooler piping and what not, got a monster clutch on the way that will support around 700. Also orders Parts shop max rear drop knuckles. So I will be selling stock knuckles with a dual caliper bracket soon as well. Ill post up when I get my pictures together and have a f/s thread up for those of you that could use any of this.
here a few pics to keep the thread going..

Got a pair of knock off seat too, don't really plan on competing anytime soon so no need to drop 600 on a seat that is only good for 5 yrs.

Welded some chromoly for my flca's, the threaded tube adapter gets welded and then I drilled 2 holes to plug weld for additional strength.
Must have had too much Mtn Dew, my hands like to shake lol

Got to use cleako's (spelling?) for the first time, pretty neat. Painted the door black very quickly with a rattle can. Trying for the Hit and Run look haha. Tried on the other set of FN's that are gloss black.

That's all for now. More updates and parts soon hopefully.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #56
alexanderig
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
alexanderig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Need more updates your work is top notch
alexanderig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
05subysti
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
05subysti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
MOAR updates
05subysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #58
nissanpwrds14

nissanpwrds14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gen 3 internal 5.3?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #59
EmpyreS13
Zilvia Member

EmpyreS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates on this thing? It's been forever!!!!!!!!
EmpyreS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #60
FKNGRSY
Leaky Injector

FKNGRSY is an unknown quantity at this point
This thing is so badass. I want to cut up my car now.
FKNGRSY is offline   Reply With Quote