Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
dnguye22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Shocks keep blowing

I have stock shocks setup on my s14 and they were all good. Then last week my passenger rear blew so I replaced it and just today the passenger rear blew again. I make hard right turns sometimes to TRY and slide so I wonder if the shocks weren't able to handle it. If anyone who has had this same problem happen to them please let me know. Thanks in advance.
dnguye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
dts13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
dts13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
replaced brand new? if so get it warrantied
dts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts13 View Post
replaced brand new? if so get it warrantied
No, i didn't replace it brand new. That would probably be the cause of it blowing. Where would a good place to get a new strut? Autozone?
Old 09-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
yokotavia
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
yokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via MSN to yokotavia
sounds to me like you have shitty luck

that probably means you should stop attempting to "slide" your stock s chassis on the street before you nail a light pole or a person
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
iLOVEmyS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
iLOVEmyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotavia View Post
sounds to me like you have shitty luck

that probably means you should stop attempting to "slide" your stock s chassis on the street before you nail a light pole or a person
+1

Also get some KYB GR2's under $200 for a complete set via ebay.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Or you have springs that lower it a lot or are cut and you're slamming the bumpstops and blowing the shocks.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLOVEmyS13 View Post
+1

Also get some KYB GR2's under $200 for a complete set via ebay.
I dont exactly slide on the street. It's more in empty park lots but i see your point. The shock was probably crappy to begin with since it wasn't brand new. I dont want to get a new set because i'll be getting some Stances soon. My question was just why does that particular end of the suspension blow? But according to some it was just a bad strut. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
could be anything, open diff putting load on that side? turning left a lot? I also have a passenger side rear shock blown.
NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
So is your car low? Sounds like you're running out of travel.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
So is your car low? Sounds like you're running out of travel.
My car is not lowered everything is stock height . I think Ninja has a point. I do have an open diff and when I push the car hard right the inside wheel would be really working. Putting more load on the passenger rear. I guess the stock shock wasn't able to handle that load?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
The shock will be fine regardless of your diff.

So I guess I'll be the first to ask - what type of shocks are you putting on the car? Stock as in from Nissan, or stock replacements from what brand?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #12
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
The shock will be fine regardless of your diff.

So I guess I'll be the first to ask - what type of shocks are you putting on the car? Stock as in from Nissan, or stock replacements from what brand?
They are used stock shocks from nissan. A friend gave them to me as a complete set. I dont know the mileage on the previous car but I believe it was fairly low. Maybe only 200,000 miles haha jk around 60k.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguye22 View Post
I have stock shocks setup on my s14 and they were all good. Then last week my passenger rear blew so I replaced it and just today the passenger rear blew again. I make hard right turns sometimes to TRY and slide so I wonder if the shocks weren't able to handle it. If anyone who has had this same problem happen to them please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
No, i didn't replace it brand new. That would probably be the cause of it blowing. Where would a good place to get a new strut? Autozone?

and you still fucking wonder why...

OMFG...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
They are used stock shocks from nissan. A friend gave them to me as a complete set. I dont know the mileage on the previous car but I believe it was fairly low. Maybe only 200,000 miles haha jk around 60k.
Did you think about your situation at all before posting?

OEM shocks on any vehicle, no matter what it is, barely ever last more than 60-80k miles, period. Hard driven cars like a 240SX won't even see that. So if you've put the same used, shitty shocks on your car that you had on there before, why would you expect them to last any longer?

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

I see everyone's point. But the main question was how come only that corner has been blowing out on me. I know the shocks aren't new but I have gone through 2 of them in that corner. Wouldn't you think by the second time the other side would have blown as well? The other 3 are in working condition. But let me get a new strut and see how long that one last at that corner. Maybe it has to do with my driving habits as well.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Rear shocks aren't side specific, there's no way to know their history anyway, you could have put one on that hit a pothole the week before.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #17
Def
Post Whore!

How do you know it's blown? Oil leaking out of the shaft seal?

I'm not sure why you're that surprised that they blew given that you have no idea if they were really good to start with.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #18
dnguye22
Leaky Injector

Quote:
How do you know it's blown? Oil leaking out of the shaft seal?

I'm not sure why you're that surprised that they blew given that you have no idea if they were really good to start with.
Yeah, oil splattered everywhere inside the wheel well. I'm surprised due to the fact that the two working ones should have outlived the one working one. But Project makes a point that I must have hit a pothole on that corner. I think that's it.