Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
A rare treat for the street - 1JZGTE S14a Silvia

Hello, hello from Garage Wildlife. I scored quite the gem. Sit down, get comfortable and enjoy the slowest fucking build to ever happen unless I motivate myself otherwise.

Updates generally happen on IG first. @GarageWildlife for all of you who are tech savvy and like shit like that. Shoot us a follow or whatever the cool kids do these days.

So I have had this chassis now for a couple of months and I've been neglecting it pretty bad while setting up the new shop, wrenching on the R32 and traveling but it's probably time I start chugging along. Normally I'd be more productive in the winter but with COVID pushing all the work towards that season, it was time to give the car some attention it deserved. So here are some of the glamour shots the importer had when I decided to purchase it. I ended up selling my LS 350Z to fund the chassis and another lift for the garage. Here she sits. These were taken at the importers the day I went to go grab her. Excuse the absolute ass pictures. I was excited and on kind of a time crunch so I didn't get anything nice and fancy. More so a field of reference.

Don't get me wrong, it's nothing crazy special but the rarity is there. This is a S14a UK-Spec built in 1999. How this car became legal was being registered legally to a military service member and then imported and papered. This is completely federally legal. I'd post images of the paperwork but I'm not next to it currently and I don't really care enough to do so. The car itself does need some work but because I plan to replace or repair the issues, to me, this was a perfectly good solid foundation. The only real unfortunate bit was this car was originally Millennium Jade then painted some shade of red then Bayside Blue. I don't know that I plan to go back to the original color. I cannot paint for shit and I don't know if I trust anyone trying to tackle that. The other issue is if I need to touch anything up, I'm fucked. So it's bitter sweet. I also considered keeping it Bayside Blue but have some other ideas I'll keep secret until the time comes.

Note: Yes, that is my Skyline, too. It's much more drift-dedicated than occasional highway runs and such.

The Silvia is a shell currently going 1JZGTE/CD009. I have a solid lead on one and in a week or so, I'm planning to go grab it. The engine set will be the last piece of the puzzle, thought. I don't plan to track dedicate the car so I do plan to try to retain some of the creature features but as I go along, I'll probably nix that idea. But for now, I'm planning on leaving in a backseat of some kind, carpeting, a radio, etc. The first thing I'm tackling is getting the rear end of the car situated mainly because once this part of the car is set, the only other reason to go back out there is to hook up fuel and brake lines and put the exhaust on. This means all new arms, hubs, wheel studs - everything will either new new or rebuilt.

So, with that being said. I started acquiring everything I needed for the rear end. In the picture of the S14 covered, you can see a S13 rear diff. I scored that local with a KAAZ in it. After I check tolerances, I will be putting a S14 rear diff cover on it and sending the stubs to Villians to get modified to accept 350Z axles. This should beef up the rear end for the power I hope to make and hopefully make finding axles less of a headache. Worse comes to worse, Driveshaft Shop will earn some business. I also purchased a spare rear subframe and front crossmember which had the rack relocated as well as 6 Z32 calipers. Yes, 6. This is because the GKTech rear end kit I also purchased from Officer Dan has a provision for dedicated dual rear calipers.

Here is everything when it came back from the powdercoaters. Spoiler: he fucking killed it. This is prismastic powders illusion violet with some subtle metal flake. Every picture makes it look different due to how it reacts with angles of light. I'm so stoked - even if this is really isn't visible for the most part.

I ordered rebuild kits for all 6 caliper from Z1, got EBC yellow stuff pads for all of them and got to rebuilding. I also installed some speed bleeders but in hindsight wish I just got new clips and such. I cleaned up what I had and they looked pretty damned good so instead of stopping and waiting for new clips, I rolled with it. Everything went together nicely, lubes it all up and admired the calipers once again. These will go on with AgencyPower conversion lines for the regular brakes and the dedicated handbrake calipers will be custom lines I'll make shortly once I position the handbrake where I like.

I have a few sets of some three-piece wheels to shuffle through that are all pretty wide. Originally they were going to be for both of these cars but the RB20DET in the Skyline refuses to explode so I can't justify putting a different engine in quite yet. Once it does, I'll swap in something with more power to where it has the balls to spin such wide daddies. The rears are 18x12, fronts are 18x10 but I have some smaller spec'd wheels specifically for upfront to suite the angle kit. Also in the first picture are a pair of red Bride Euro II's that will make their way in the car. I had the door cards stripped of their grey leather and red BRIDE fabric installed in it's place but I don't think I have any pictures of that currently. The rear seat will most likely be wrapped in red BRIDE fabric as well after the cage is in and I know what needs to be altered.

SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Hazard240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Hazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymoreHazard240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subbbbbbed
Hazard240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Cjkouki2010
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Cjkouki2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
😯 very nice! Lmk if you wanna sell that interior!
Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjkouki2010 View Post
😯 very nice! Lmk if you wanna sell that interior!
Honestly, the grey leather has been stripped off the door cards because I figured I have them already, why not. I have a picture of them with the BRIDE fabric somewhere. The grey leather seats [front and rear] are definitely for sale, though. I don't plan on using them at all. I'm not even 100% sure if I'll be keeping the rear seat or not - most likely not. If you're serious, PM me an offer. The driverside [US passenger] isn't ripped but the stitching that holds some of the panels together has separated and could use a trip to someone who can re-sew them. The passenger [US driver] is near perfect. The rear seats look like no one has ever sat on them.

EDIT: I actually found a decent picture.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Cool, where in PA are ya
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Cool, where in PA are ya
I'm not, haha. The transporter has a lot that has to have plates on everything there. I guess the neighbors bust his balls so this was on it until I picked it up. I'm actually in Rhode Island.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Put some work getting things aligned last night. I'll still obviously have to take arms off and remeasure but I'll most likely do that once I get the subframe up in the car. The GKTech is actually pretty amazing. Watching the knuckle move under compression is quite fascinating to watch. Hopefully with a spot on alignment, I'll have perfect rear-wheel wear.

Now, I did hit two issues. One was that one of the control arms showed up with two seized heims. Nothing in the world was going to free those things up. It isn't a huge deal because I'm not going to run the car for a couple of weeks anyways so I'm not overly concerned. The other issue I had is the knuckles have a provision for twin rear calipers but the Z32 rears I tried to mount is slightly off. There is about a half an inch distance between the mounting positions. One caliper went on nice and easy, the other I got one hole in and the other has no threaded opening for it. I sent a FB message to Officer Dan so hopefully I have some answers. Anyways, this is how she sits.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:53 AM   #9
samotage
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
samotage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear subframe building is mesmerising isn?t it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
samotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #10
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage View Post
Rear subframe building is mesmerising isn?t it?
It really is. Boy is that pretty, too.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Cool stuff you have going here. I'll be tuning in.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #12
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Yall add any extra bracing to the subframes? Is it worth it?
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Because I don't plan to make massive amounts of number or beat on the car in competition as a dedicated track car pushing four figure power numbers, I only did some of the bracing - nothing crazy over the top. I've never destroyed a rear subframe in all my days so I guess we will see. I may eat those words but for now with what I have envisioned in my head, I think I'll be fine.

If I do plan to go insane power, I'll probably need another subframe anyway. Not because this will be weak but because I'll have to modify for a Winters Quick Change or something like that. I'll tackle that part of the build [if ever] when I get to it. At that point, I'd probably also be building a different chassis with racing ONLY in mind.

I do, however, have it mapped out that these stubs will go to Villains to be modified to access Z33 axles for added strength. It'll be a pretty interesting rear end, for sure.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dat electric Grimmis subframe is fire!
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
samotage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Yall add any extra bracing to the subframes? Is it worth it?

I was planning on it, however I kept it as is for similar reasons as Sooper.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #16
samotage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
It really is. Boy is that pretty, too.

Thank you! Your purple finish is just outstanding, and you are right, it will never really be seen - however we know what?s under our Silvia?s skirt...

Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight zenki View Post
Dat electric Grimmis subframe is fire!
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
I was planning on it, however I kept it as is for similar reasons as Sooper.
Quote:
Thank you! Your purple finish is just outstanding, and you are right, it will never really be seen - however we know what?s under our Silvia?s skirt...
I like to keep it simple. If I find a need for it, I'll do it but I won't do it just to do it. There is some factory bracing there. I will eventually go Winters in this chassis if I go big, big power but I'm not sure I'll want to do that with a rare car like this. That will probably be what happens with the R32.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #18
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I had an oh shit moment when I saw PA plates.

Also, we should touch peens on being purple subframe buddies. Mine was called Dormant Purple but it looks just like yours. I'm kinda on the fence on my color choice as I did Dormant purple on the rear, and Jamaican teal on the front.

I would def scuff/sand/grind down the area around the subframe and paint & undercoat it. Eastwood internal frame paint on the unibody rails. Trust me, it looks good to have a shiny purple and gloss black reflecting on it.

I used rust bullet but I didn't want to leave it with their gray so I used their gloss black top coat. It's the tits.

collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:18 AM   #19
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

It's actually ironic you'd say teal. I almost did Illusion Pacific [a weird gusher blue/green teal/aqua color] for the arms to have some contrast. I know this is shit you'll almost never see but if the car can look good for at least a season, I'll be happy - especially with the added protection of powdercoat.

I actually opted to do the S14 completely one color for the subframe, crossmember and brakes then most likely that teal in the engine bay. Then on my Skyline, the complete opposite. Teal everything, purple engine bay. We'll see if I can make good on that promise to myself.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 AM   #20
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Why do manufacturers never treat the bar under the dash?
That sub phram is randy.
Pls keep those wheels and just re-lip/re-barrel them.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #21
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
That sub phram is randy.
Thank you, sir.

I do plan to keep the wheels. They'll go on the shelf for the time being until I figure out what I want to do with them. They fit a stock body so nicely, too. I almost feel bad planning to turn them into some hot boi shit but not really.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #22
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
hotboi shit is where its at...panti dropper specs please!!
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #23
samotage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
That sub phram is randy.

Cost, primarily, and this stuff is never seen plus it?s not supposed to get exposed to the weather. My bar was rusty, and it got cleaned up and painted satin black.

Also there were a ton of interior metal brackets of similar raw finish plus the back of the rear seat flap in mine that were all rusty. All of these got the de-rust, I used an evaporust bath which was amazing, and painted satin black.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #24
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Most of the brackets that hold the door panels in, small brackets that hold the rear seats in, some stuff in the truck - all of them get shitty. I'll be pulling mine too to blast and powder. Again - nothing you'll see but it will stand the test of time and I'm down for that. Most those stupid little brackets will be done too.