Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #1
marc-s13

Trader Rating: (0)
marc-s13 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
marc's S13 build

Always wanted to make a build thread, so I finally got around to it!

MAY 2017
Bought this car when I turned 16 and got my learner's license.

Found it on Craigslist in woodshop class one day, and went to go look at it that night.

The owner was a really cool guy. He had plans to drift it but said it was "too clean" (his words, not mine!).

Looked good, everything was in order except for a large rust hole on the driver's side rocker. 144,000 kms (89,000 miles), automatic. Completely stock aside from an S14 VLSD that the owner swapped in.

Went back the next day and bought it! $4500 CAD and it came with a manual transmission (that I would later sell in favor of a better candidate) and clutch, pressure plate, etc.

First thing I did was rip off the spoiler and replace the headlights with a Hella H4 set.

JUNE 2017
My first real work on a car was replacing a seized rear left caliper.

Also did the obligatory sleep eyes.

Around this time, my friend bought an S13 of his own. Very rare color, (#FG0, only ~700 in NA I believe), and 111,000 kms (69,000 miles). Needless to say I was jealous that he had the lower mileage one.

Left it alone for the rest of June pretty much, this is how it sat:

Started collecting parts I knew I wanted to put on: a set of Ichiba 5 Lug Hubs (still haven't put them on by the way, more on that later).

The bay after some cleaning and basic maintenance (the serp belt had gone out):

Still regret this to this day, but I had stupidly ordered a Sparco Wheel, Circuit Sport quick release, and an NRG short hub (I was 16, give me a break!).

JULY 2017
I don't know what was going through my head (maybe to waste as much money as possible?), but I bought brand new wiper and indicator stalks as mine were faded out.

Still, I have to say it looked good.

Since my priorities were clearly completely out of whack, I decided to pick up a set of Kouki taillights for $650 CAD off Craigslist. I still regret getting these so early, but not as much as the other purchases. All OEM parts, with everything included, and the guy even did the harnesses for it.

Got them fitted up ASAP.

Before:

During:

After:

Painted the valence piece by myself with some spray paint. Turned out great!

Primed:

Few coats of base later:

After clear, wetsand, and polish. Not bad for my first time painting.

Done!

Started attacking some minor issues like a broken driver's side lock cylinder.

Took out the broken alarm and immobilizer, shedded about a kilo of wiring and junk.

LEDs from superbrightleds.com for the gauge cluster.

Got around to installing my idiotic purchase.

The rust (driver's side rear rocker/quarter):

AUGUST 2017
Picked up some R32 GT-R brakes with DBA4000 rotors.

Started gathering parts for the manual swap:

Got all of this from a part out for $100 CAD.

Got the flywheel resurfaced:

Went back to the same part out and got this transmission for $210 CAD (+metal dust shield and rubber shift boot). Sold the other transmission that came with my car for $300. It was pissing tranny fluid all over the trunk of the car, so I had to squat in the trunk and hold it for the whole ride home.

Car came back from rust repair! Looks like a decent job but turns out there was like an inch of bondo. That's what I get for only paying $500 I guess.

Painted the clutch pedal and crossmember.

Installed my beautiful freshly painted clutch pedal.

Dropped the auto slug.

Z32 reman BMC off RockAuto, in preparation for the R32 GT-R brake swap.

It just sat like this basically until a year later. Decided school was more important at the time, and I was just too lazy to work on it.

That's it for now, until I upload the pictures from my phone to my computer. It's been kind of an uneventful build up until this point, but I promise it gets more exciting.
marc-s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links