Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
Fitelite240!!
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Fitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Por15 gas tank repair kit in s14 gas tank - possible?

Hey there,

I got my s14 a while ago and the previous owner left the top off the gas tank and open for about 3 years prior to me getting it.

I'm cleaning up his mess. I dropped the tank and it had tons of carbon build up at the bottom inside (enough to hear it rattle around as I moved it).

I was able to wash it out very well with just soap and water, but there are some very light scratches and micro cracks on the inside of the tank that I would like to seal up - nothing leaking from the tank itself though, I double checked and made sure of that.

I got the Por15 gas tank repair kit and I'm going over how to use it and I'm not sure I'm able to. The sealant becomes incredibly hard and would probably clog the ventilation tubes on the top and the fuel line tube at the bottom. Reviews are saying to get any excess off certain things you need to grind it off and we all know that's not an option for these gas tanks - I'll be removing and changing the fuel line anyway.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the por15 kit on the s14 plastic gas tank or knows how to remove the 3 plastic tubes. If I can do that I can cover it with some gorilla tape and get to cleaning.

From what I see, it looks like that Nissan takes the plastic tubes and stamp-melts them onto the plastic to create the seal. We'll, at least that's my assessment after trying to gently pry them out, without braking anything with no luck.

If anyone has anyone has any advice on the matter, that would be great.

If not, I think I'll just have to use the Marine industrial cleaner it came with and some mauratic acid with baking soda to neutralize the acid after it's done, it's job.
Fitelite240!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
It doesn't say anything about using it on non-metal fuel tanks. I didn't even know they made that stuff but its interesting to say the least- did you call and make sure that it works on plastic fuel tanks?

It also says something about 'repair cloth' for patching holes, I am curious what kind of cloth they are referring to. I'll be giving them a call just for the heck of it if nobody knows...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Fitelite240!!
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Fitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-knownFitelite240!! is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
It doesn't say anything about using it on non-metal fuel tanks. I didn't even know they made that stuff but its interesting to say the least- did you call and make sure that it works on plastic fuel tanks?

It also says something about 'repair cloth' for patching holes, I am curious what kind of cloth they are referring to. I'll be giving them a call just for the heck of it if nobody knows...

Unfortunately thier only open mon-friday 8-5. But I'll be calling Monday for sure to confirm. As far as I'm aware it can be used though. it just needs to be bone dry in order for the sealant to adhere properly to the gas tank walls. The sealant is serious stuff and hardens like a rock.

I just got through raptor lining the outside. So I've got a few days until it's fully cured before I move onto the inside. But the biggest thing I'm wondering is if the vent tubed and the gas tubes can be removed from the gas tank. Or if anyone has ever tried.
Fitelite240!! is offline   Reply With Quote