Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #31
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Haha these are cool ideas. Looking forward to the time when instead of spending most of our day in wage-labor, doing something we don't like, for someone we don't know, to get money to buy things, we are just able to make the thing

What's funny is I actually need an S13 washer fluid cap and one is listed in the thingiverse link you posted
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #32
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc.zenit View Post

But I like to believe that I simply haven't found the pot of gold yet.

Does anyone know a place where I can find more car related parts?
youre never going to find a 'pot of gold' because people realize they can make money instead of put something on thingiverse for free. i do realize there is some cool stuff on there; although, most of the stuff that takes time and effort, the creator is going to want money for it (rightfully so).

i understand this thread is a couple of years old. but most of today's consumer 3d printers print PLA (polylactic acid). while its great for rapid prototyping it does not hold up to the heat (long term) that interiors see. i dont remember off the top of my head, but i dont think its UV resistant either. another deal breaker.

i can also tell you it will die a swift death if you try to put it in your engine bay. learned that mistake pretty quickly.

ive drawn various things and put them in my buddies tuck (for science) to see how long the PLA will last. the shift knob we did has only been in his truck for a month and the shape is already starting to deform. we havent even hit peak summer yet, and i live in the foothills where it doesnt usually get over 95-98.

id really like to try ABS, but it produces toxic fumes when you print. PETG is another great material for the right application but from what i gather, it would be best to have a dedicated PETG printer (based on how you have to set it to print the material). there is also polycarbonate and nylon that may work.

ive only done this for a couple of months, so im somewhat new to it (but not CAD or designing stuff in general). sub'd.

edit:
not car related but here is an ear pro clip i rapid proto'd. thought i would share. if you guys made anything you should post it. im doing a bumper bracket right now.

sorry the pics are so big. flickr sucks hard and for whatever reason, makes it incredibly hard to get the .jpg extensions on a phone.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #33
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
youre never going to find a 'pot of gold' because people realize they can make money instead of put something on thingiverse for free. i do realize there is some cool stuff on there; although, most of the stuff that takes time and effort, the creator is going to want money for it (rightfully so).

i understand this thread is a couple of years old. but most of today's consumer 3d printers print PLA (polylactic acid). while its great for rapid prototyping it does not hold up to the heat (long term) that interiors see. i dont remember off the top of my head, but i dont think its UV resistant either. another deal breaker.

i can also tell you it will die a swift death if you try to put it in your engine bay. learned that mistake pretty quickly.

ive drawn various things and put them in my buddies tuck (for science) to see how long the PLA will last. the shift knob we did has only been in his truck for a month and the shape is already starting to deform. we havent even hit peak summer yet, and i live in the foothills where it doesnt usually get over 95-98.

id really like to try ABS, but it produces toxic fumes when you print. PETG is another great material for the right application but from what i gather, it would be best to have a dedicated PETG printer (based on how you have to set it to print the material). there is also polycarbonate and nylon that may work.

ive only done this for a couple of months, so im somewhat new to it (but not CAD or designing stuff in general). sub'd.
^Good info.

So you mean we can't have printed turbo manifolds?
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #34
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
oh you can. you just have to buy the right printer.

skip to 20 sec in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRA5CFLYkUQ
Old 06-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #35
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
oh you can. you just have to buy the right printer.

skip to 20 sec in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRA5CFLYkUQ

honestly you don't have to buy the "right" 3D printer. all 3d printers have their quirks and bits to deal with. you just have to learn how to play them to adjust them to your liking and make work. i'm running a Creality s4 and modified it to print a foot higher than it originally intended for. but then again i have experience in the 3d printing biz for 12-13 years already before 3d printing was affordable to consumers.

if you're lazy get a Prusa everything have been done for you. but if you like to tinker things and have a budget below 700 bucks then its your choice. nothing is the best. even $1 million 3M SLS to 3D printers have their flaws.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #36
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
S13. Firewall. Brake line. Retainer. Clips.
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #37
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
honestly you don't have to buy the "right" 3D printer.
oh, so you can print titanium parts on your creality? please share your secrets.

theres a reason creality printers are under a grand. there is also a reason printers that print titanium parts with insanely fine titanium powder are 100k+.

yes they all have their flaws. mr kanye simply asked about printing turbo manis. i provided him with a link to a printer that could do that. sure you can print a turbo manifold on a CR10. how long do you think it will last? 30 seconds? i know there are stainless ones out there too, but the Ti one was the first to come to mind, and i knew i could find a video in a pinch. so i went with that.

you can buy whatever 3d printer you want. although addressing your needs to find the 'right' 3d printer for you will result in much easier and successful printing down the line. we bought an ender 3 because we wanted to start small.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #38
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you get a group buy or something before putting anything into 'mass' production. Make it worth your time. Stick to things that will sell versus something some dingleberry on a forum says they would buy but have no intention on actually buying.

P.S. This thread is old as shit. Figured this would be advise for those thinking the same in current times.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #39
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've seen a few people on Ebay who sell 3D printed parts for our cars. Im currently designing some interior panel clips as i don't have any in my car or have any to use as a reference. Unfortunately i don't have a whole lot of time to work on it these days so the process has been fairly slow. If you are looking for something specific you can DM me, ill give you my email and ill do my best to help you out.
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:17 PM   #40
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
If anyone wants to pay for tooling (3-8k for each part) we can get cheap legit parts made no problem, ha ha.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #41
NashT
Zilvia Member

NashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choices
I bought a printed cup holder that goes in place of the ashtray, holding up great and fit like a glove, and it has a bottom like a true cup holder would. But honestly unless its a soda can the placement sucks with shifting
NashT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #42
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashT View Post
I bought a printed cup holder that goes in place of the ashtray, holding up great and fit like a glove, and it has a bottom like a true cup holder would. But honestly unless its a soda can the placement sucks with shifting
what material? has your area in TX gotten hot yet? you should keep an eye on it and report back as you go through the summer. you know, for, science.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #43
NashT
Zilvia Member

NashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choices
Lol...for science

ABS Plastic, can post up dudes contact if interested

Its warm but not Texas hot yet, will keep ya posted
Old 06-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #44
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

awesome. ABS is a better application than PLA for interior stuff.

and yes. science!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #45
NashT
Zilvia Member

Quote:
awesome. ABS is a better application than PLA for interior stuff.

and yes. science!
Check it out:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183690780456
Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #46
MR.RMSCHIKO
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
MR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud ofMR.RMSCHIKO has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
https://www.garage-emperor.com/

My buddy mark is owner of garage emperor he makes some pretty cool stuff, should check his stuff out.
MR.RMSCHIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #47
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

i drafted some toyota bumper brackets this weekend and we printed them for my room mates truck in PLA. we printed them with a fair amount of infill (so theyre not hollow). pretty damn strong for the material used. i dont think it will hold up, but my room mate thinks it will. maybe im not giving PLA enough credit?

that being said, i will try to post a pic of it later.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #48
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
i drafted some toyota bumper brackets this weekend and we printed them for my room mates truck in PLA. we printed them with a fair amount of infill (so theyre not hollow). pretty damn strong for the material used. i dont think it will hold up, but my room mate thinks it will. maybe im not giving PLA enough credit?

that being said, i will try to post a pic of it later.
PLA will give you a nice surface finish and produce a good looking part but it is very brittle and weathers poorly. For automotive components, you're better off printing in ABS. Post up some pictures of it!

I designed and printed a bracket to hold my sunroof in place without the tracks. Hard mounts the glass roof on the coupe s13. Its done in ABS with a almost solid infill. Has held up pretty good. I'll try to grab some pictures of it soon.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #49
FrankyDub23

FrankyDub23 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can even build a car yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1Y8iw-CCI
FrankyDub23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #50
champwho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
champwho is making his/her stupidity well-knownchampwho is making his/her stupidity well-knownchampwho is making his/her stupidity well-knownchampwho is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
can you make a better cup holder
champwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #51
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd like to see someone make replacement ducting from the heater core to the blower motor, eliminating the AC box in the middle. I could definitely utilize that space.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #52
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'd like to see someone make replacement ducting from the heater core to the blower motor, eliminating the AC box in the middle. I could definitely utilize that space.
I have a preliminary model for this, but I no longer have the parts available to try this out with. I'll try to source a car locally for R&D and I will let you know what I come up with!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #53
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Definitely keep me posted Krusty!
Old 08-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #54
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
I designed a replacement for the S13 power mirror blanking plate that houses a high-power USB-C charger.

I started by basically replicating the stock blank, then I added the front panel openings of this common USB-C charger that comes in a slick rugged extruded case called an "XY-PDS100".

After I printed this one I made some improvements. I moved the stiffening ribs for the clips over a little bit for clearance to the case, and hollowed out the area behind the display to make room for a piece of translucent plastic to protect it from dust getting in, and made the countersinks for the screws a little deeper. But it came out extremely well.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #55
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Printed a new version with my improvements and slapped it in. This came out really well and I plan to reprint it in ABS.

Yes my lighter is a gross brown color.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #56
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Printed a new version with my improvements and slapped it in. This came out really well and I plan to reprint it in ABS.

Yes my lighter is a gross brown color.
Hey 2 ideas that would be really really awesome. All the tabs on the cigarette lighter barrel and window adjustment brackets where your usb charger goes...

Is it possible to print something to help keep those 2 things in the bezel?
Old 08-30-2022, 03:44 AM   #57
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
All the tabs on the cigarette lighter barrel
This. I am here for this.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:55 AM   #58
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Not sure what you mean, like something to sit on the back side of the inside of the console to reinforce those slots so the clips fit more snugly? Yeah that's do-able, though I think the best idea there would be a laser cut piece of sheetmetal that you could screw on from the back.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #59
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I meant like all my clips are broke and same with the mirror adjuster switch. So literally both my cigarettr light socket and the mirror adjuster pop up cause the clips are broke
Old 08-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #60
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Oh. Yeah, the lighter socket could be done easily. That said I don't think it's worth doing - the part is still available new and cheap (25339-89989) and the part that replaced it in newer Nissans (25339-9B920) looks to be dimensionally compatible if you also got the matching lighter socket that clips into it. Yeah it'll break after several years like the original one did, anything you could design and print would break too.

For the mirror switch, the clips are part of the housing, so it'd be making a new housing for it. IMO if I had power mirrors I'd again just go junkyarding for it, while I was making this I discovered that basically every Nissan up through the 2000s has the same power mirror switch dimensions. The connectors/pinouts are not all the same but they all have the same connections (+ign, ground, left & right side each vertical & horizontal, and 'common').