Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 AM   #541
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
I've said it before along side plenty of other Zilvians, you truly get what you pay for in the S-Chassis community.

I'm glad you had a good eBay experience, from what I've researched a lot of people don't. In the long run, buying a motor from eBay and a motor from a reputable shop can't compare. You have no idea what type of customer service(or motor for that matter) you're receiving from an eBay shop, but the reputable shops are reputable for a reason. I knew that the motor would not only be in good shape, but they would support their sale with a good warranty and knowledgeable customer service to help me get my swap done correctly. Not only that, but purchasing all of my parts through one vendor set me up to have one business to consult with in case ANY part of my swap was not functioning right, not just the motor.

A swap in four hours may be possible, but he obviously has the facilities and experience to get it done fast unlike I did. That is, unless the quality is horrible. All of the good shops in the central Florida area told me on average a minimum of three days was required to get the swap done, and even from the best shops that time was tentative. I personally would worry about the quality of a swap done in four hours, especially when I'm dropping thousands of dollars on it.

Thousand dollar mistakes suck.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #542
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
harangatang can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84 View Post
I've said it before along side plenty of other Zilvians, you truly get what you pay for in the S-Chassis community.

I'm glad you had a good eBay experience, from what I've researched a lot of people don't. In the long run, buying a motor from eBay and a motor from a reputable shop can't compare. You have no idea what type of customer service(or motor for that matter) you're receiving from an eBay shop, but the reputable shops are reputable for a reason. I knew that the motor would not only be in good shape, but they would support their sale with a good warranty and knowledgeable customer service to help me get my swap done correctly. Not only that, but purchasing all of my parts through one vendor set me up to have one business to consult with in case ANY part of my swap was not functioning right, not just the motor.

A swap in four hours may be possible, but he obviously has the facilities and experience to get it done fast unlike I did. That is, unless the quality is horrible. All of the good shops in the central Florida area told me on average a minimum of three days was required to get the swap done, and even from the best shops that time was tentative. I personally would worry about the quality of a swap done in four hours, especially when I'm dropping thousands of dollars on it.

Thousand dollar mistakes suck.

Well, dont know which came first, the shop on ebay, or the actual shop, but Id go to believe the shop was in place first and they were only using ebay to increase sales. either way, buying an engine from anyplace or person is risky. And about quality.. I may not have gotten it done in 4 hrs, but the electrical side of my swap looks better then it did brand new out of the factory. cheers to a dad in electronics for 20+ years! I sure bet the other guyz 4hr swaps dont look nearly as clean as mine does.

harangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #543
prang11
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
prang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Any updates? I still want to see how the gauge pod tunred out. Thinking about buying one myself.
prang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #544
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Updates.. I suppose there are. I'm going to wait until next Tuesday to take a picture of the gauge pod. That's when my 52mm tach is supposed to be here. Right now the ATI pod only has a water temp gauge in it so it looks kind of lame.

Also, it doesn't have the Megan gauge installed. I wound up putting an Autometer gauge in because the Megan temp sensor snapped in two when installing it into the Greddy radiator hose fitting.

I've had to put the dash mods that I was going to be doing aside because I need to address the transmission. The clutch is most definitely glazed over. Any time the car is warm and I want to haul ass, the rpms jump but the car doesn't. Soooo... I bought a new Exedy clutch to replace it with and I'm going to break it in like it's supposed to be broken in. I can drive the car fine when driving normal, it's only when I really want to give it the beans that it starts to slip.

I'll also be replacing the front and rear main seals as well as reinstalling the AC compressor. I should have replaced the seals when the motor was out the first time as should everyone. I'll be taking care of this the end of next month when we move into our new place that has a garage. Luckily I sold my enginge hoist to a good friend so he's going to let me borrow it for that weekend.

As for my current plans, I'm still looking for wheels and tires. I'm finding it a bit hard to pick a particular wheel.

I'll post that picture of the gauges next Tuesday.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #545
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What aero?

Ahem.
Farzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 AM   #546
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

I'll be getting the Origin 180sx Stream kit. I didn't want anything too extreme when it came to the body work. I'm still waiting on wheels though before I buy the kit so it's going to be a little while.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #547
Chez
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Chez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84 View Post
I bought a new Exedy clutch to replace it with and I'm going to break it in like it's supposed to be broken in.
The Throw out bearing that comes with that kit is garbage make sure to pick up a quality one before the install. If you dont switch it out and just use the one that comes with it after about 5k miles you will notice the clutch pedal has a vibration when you rest your foot on it before you push it down to dissengage the clutch. It's really quite annoying if you never felt it before. I wish I picked up a quality unit before doing my clutch...

Chez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #548
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

I don't really have to worry about that. When I put the current clutch in I replaced practically everything with the new parts Spec* gave me. I put in a new pilot bushing, lightened flywheel, clutch, pp, and throwout bearing. So all i'm replacing in there now is the rear main seal, clutch, and pp. Everything that's not being replaced is working flawlessly.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #549
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Spec is junk.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #550
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah, I'm learning that now, hah. I like the flywheel and I'm sure I'll be happier with the Exedy clutch. They have a much higher reputation.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #551
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Nice aero decision.

Exedy isn't bad.
Farzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #552
CA18_S13
Zilvia Member

CA18_S13 is a well-known jackass
Sweet write up.
CA18_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #553
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

By popular request, here are some pictures of the ATI gauge pod as well as the new tachometer I installed today. I thought the tach was a 52mm gauge, but it was actually a 60mm gauge so it didn't fit in the ATI pod. I'm going to purchase an AEM air/fuel ratio gauge to put there once I start doing power upgrades so until then it'll be empty.

I couldn't get the tach to work yet so it's just sitting there now with the backlights on. If anyone knows which wire is the tach signal wire let me know, I started a thread in tech about it earlier after scouring zilvia and the fsm. I tried every wire on the connector that comes from the ECU to the dash cluster, none of those worked so I'm not sure where else to connect it.

Without further ado...

Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #554
Farzam
Post Whore!

Take off the Megan racing sticker.

Eww.

Niceeeeeeee setup.

Fill up that empty pod though...A-sap.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #555
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah, I was bored one day and I found all of the stickers I got from the vendors. I need to take it off. I like my HKS one on the hatch, keeping that one.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #556
Farzam
Post Whore!

Got any leftovers?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #557
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Nah, what I had left went on my new laptop.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #558
RPS1392
Zilvia Member

RPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura about
Wow, nice writeup. My car is almost the twin of yours. Red hatch, blacktop.
Mines taking quite a bit longer to complete than yours tho, bought a house, and that takes up a lot of my time. But again, Nice work.
RPS1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #559
Casse

Casse is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Casse
This was one excellent thread, Ive been through it so many times. Congratulations to you for doing this swap all by yourself and thankyou for sharing this wonderful bundle of information with the rest of the community, I cant wait to see it with a kit and some wheels, it will be the dopest DIY 240 yet.
Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #560
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
Thumbs up

i just started a new build thread and NOW that i read yorus i'm embarassed. mine is lame as hell compared to this yours, you've inspired me to take better photos and post comments for each of my photos with more details, what was i thinking?!

although i didn't get a storage container, i am doing it on my SLANTED ass driveway with weeds and shit in my way haha

nice build brosef , you've inspired me to do a much more thorough writeup!
unicoladron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #561
jamlanta
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
jamlanta is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
whats new with the car? do you have suspension and wheels now?
jamlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #562
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
^^ --> http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=178032
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #563
alindeman1989
Zilvia Addict

alindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to alindeman1989
Great build thread. Very detailed and lots of pics. +1

tofu man: Don't be cheap, and buy shitty high offset rims
alindeman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #564
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlanta View Post
whats new with the car? do you have suspension and wheels now?
Nope, not yet.

As a user pointed out a few posts ago, I'm working on a carputer install.

Since the build I have done a few things though. I got an entirely new front end and swapped from pignose to a chuki front end, looks a lot better now. I also swapped out my Spec (read shit) clutch for an Exedy clutch. Oh, and I got the windows tinted.

Carputer will be done in the following weeks.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #565
bizzyj83
Leaky Injector

bizzyj83 can only hope to improve
wow
great build!!
bizzyj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #566
Onitsukagirl
Leaky Injector

Onitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really niceOnitsukagirl is just really nice
Very entertaining thread to read, im so bored at work.. it has taken me over an hour to go through it all.. really really nice job. I did my swap all by myself too so I know how it is. Less distractions when you do it by yourself haha. Fun stuff. Great job, I remember how happy I was when I heard mine start for the first time. It took a couple friends to figure out that I simply had the fuel lines backwards... my bes' friend called me up (they had my car at their shop) and said "do you hear that?" I heard the SR revving up over the phone, I wanted to flip! I was so happy... I went down there immediately best feeling ever in the car world. hehe.
Onitsukagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #567
CoreyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
CoreyS13 is on the path to ruinCoreyS13 is on the path to ruinCoreyS13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Started on the first page 2 and half hours ago and have taken this journey and followed the emotional roller coaster along with you and many others along the way. Glad everything worked out in the end and thanks for all the great info.

A+++ would read again.
CoreyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #568
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS13 View Post
Started on the first page 2 and half hours ago and have taken this journey and followed the emotional roller coaster along with you and many others along the way. Glad everything worked out in the end and thanks for all the great info.

A+++ would read again.
x2

Just want to thank you for documenting your trials and tribulations. I bought a 90 hatch with a blacktop sr20 already swapped in and this has helped me sort out quite a few issues, and also understand better who my motor is supposed to be setup.

Good research, good inspiration...
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote