Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #61
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
First time polishing metal with a serious motive. The left side is already wire wheeled, but the end product on the right looks WAY better than they both did when I started.

Finished assembling the fuel rail. Got the SARD 650cc injectors installed as well as some AN fittings for the fuel lines. The fuel rail was powder coated slate gray metallic by Snail Motorsports here in Vegas. Those polished brackets are looking pretty good on there too.

Better shot of the powder coat. Not too flashy, but oh so nice.

Last edited by Mister.E; 03-08-2016 at 11:59 AM..
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #62
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Almost forgot, but I need a little insight.

Is this dumb? I found this transmission cooler on Summit and I wanted to use it for my power steering cooler. Is it stupid to mount a solid object like this in front of the radiator? I really like this spot and it seems like the cooler was basically meant to go there from the start.

Do you think this cooler would be efficient? It's dual-pass, aluminum, and ultra-finned for her pleasure. The cooler is 12 inches long for reference. Would I be better off with the traditional style cooler that allows air to pass through? I'm no physics expert, but I'm pretty sure the air will flow right around this and into the radiator.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #63
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The fins on the cooler act as a heat sink and airflow is not how it necessarily sheds heat. It sheds it based of area (more fins, more surface area to shed heat).

I would NOT put a solid object in front of the radiator.......The 240 already has enough problems getting flow to and then through the radiator without proper ducting, and this will just exaggerate the problem.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #64
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I would NOT put a solid object in front of the radiator.......The 240 already has enough problems getting flow to and then through the radiator without proper ducting, and this will just exaggerate the problem.

These were my thoughts as well. Maybe I should return it and buy a different type...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #65
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Or relocate it. That cooler is meant to be mounted in a way that the air flows along the cooler, not across it.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #66
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Or relocate it. That cooler is meant to be mounted in a way that the air flows along the cooler, not across it.

Good to know. The damn thing is 12 inches long so I'm not sure where i would put it so that the air would pass over it parallel to the length of the cooler. I'll see if i can find a spot to put it down by the bash bar or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #67
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Well a little research brought me to this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13309/overview/

So I'm thinking I'm going to return the cooler I have and get that.

Either that or the other option would be to get this and mount it in nearly the same spot as the one pictured.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13223/overview/

None of my previous cars had power steering coolers but I want to make sure I have something adequate enough for those hot summer days out here.

Do you think the additional passes of the first cooler would make for better cooling than the two much lengthier passes on the second cooler?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #68
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

its all about total length. either of those will do more than enough though. just pick the one that fits your mounting place better.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #69
Mister.E
Post Whore!

My apologies for the lack of updates, I have been dealing with some serious anxiety issues lately. In and out of both the hospital and work but still trying to get some things done here and there when I can.

Anyway...on to the updates

Decided that if I was going to remove ABS, I'd get rid of the rings on the hubs too. Don't half ass anything, right?

Temporarily laid the coil packs to rest after polishing the brackets a little bit.

Per suggestion I returned the other cooling unit and bought this Derale P/S cooler with -6AN fittings already incorporated. Gonna have my buddy weld up some brackets for this next time the car is at his shop. I decided to complete the lines for the whole P/S system as well. They turned out pretty good IMO.

I had a chance to begin installing the rear knuckles as well. They are going to require a bit of adjustment on the arms to get everything squared up for initial install. Gonna work on that part later when I have some more time.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #70
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Man am I jealous of the coilovers and rear knuckles!

Question, why are you sticking with the stock front knuckles?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #71
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Once i got those bolted up I was able to start putting the rest of the pieces to the puzzle in place. The GKTech and Feal bits go real nice together! I can't wait to drive with this setup.

Oh, that update was on the last page.

I just needed the hubs for now. The voice inside my head is telling me to buy new ones though...cuz they'd be cleaner...
Old 03-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #72
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh, derp. I just saw the stock knuckle there and assumed you were using it. My B.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #73
Mister.E
Post Whore!

No worries.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #74
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I know how much that ps reservoir costs. This build is the real deal.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #75
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
I know how much that ps reservoir costs. This build is the real deal.

HAHAHA, thanks man.

I actually ended up with that by accident. I had originally ordered the Beech P/S reservoir. It was on back order so DriftMotion said they would ship it out when they received it. Months later I remembered that I still hadn't received it, so I contacted DM and told them what was going on. They said that they couldn't get any type of ETA from Beech, so they wanted to know if I would accept a new product that they were developing instead for the price I paid for the Beech reservoir. The decision wasn't hard.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #76
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Small update, home and work life have been busy. I've accomplished a few things, but I'm not quite ready for any new pics just yet.

I did get the manifold ceramic coated in high temp silver and threw the wastegate on there.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #77
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Haven't had much time to get anything done, so I decided to trim the last bit off excess crap off of the throttle body. Slowly but surely I will get this car finished.

I also did a little work on smoothing out the inside of the throttle body where the two pieces were welded together.

I stripped one of the studs on the intake manifold side of the head due to the increased thickness of the thermal gaskets. It was clear that I needed to make my own so I swooped by Lowes and picked up some M8x1.25 threaded rod and some slightly longer bolts to replace the factory ones.

I threw the two thermal gaskets on there so that you can see how much thickness is actually added. Had I known any better, I would have had the upper intake manifold welded to the lower runners to eliminate that second gasket. That shit is too difficult to source on it's own and I didn't want to run two thermal gaskets. I had my factory gasket but it was in absolutely terrible shape.

Put in some work today to get the engine back to a point that it hasn't been in for a long time. Valve covers were powder coated but there are still several components that need to be cleaned up. I was getting sick of parts sitting all around the garage and couldn't wait any longer to put this thing back together. I still have so much left to do, but I feel accomplished today. I managed to get the Wiring Specialties pro series harness installed as well. Now that the harness is in place, I can go back to the interior and finish up some things in there. The harness tucked in really nicely and it was a dream working with new connectors. Usually all of my connectors are stuck or broken.

If anyone needs anything from Wiring Specialties, you can use discount code ERIKDRIFT at checkout for 10% off your entire order.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #78
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subbing for more lamp pics from page 1!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #79
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
Subbing for more lamp pics from page 1!

- Lamp was moved to an alternate location
- Shade was KIA
- Wife added ugly light bulb
- I still hate this lamp

Once we are done using it for late night baby feedings I think I'm going to take the lamp out to the desert and try to launch it into the air with my airbag. [emoji23]
Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #80
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Just looked through the whole thread man - very nice build! Diggin the fuse panel you did it came out pretty clean
Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #81
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Just looked through the whole thread man - very nice build! Diggin the fuse panel you did it came out pretty clean

Thanks Mike! It's been a lot of work so far. I'm still hoping to have it running this summer and completed well before the end of the year. Wife is still taking night classes, so I'm constantly strapped for time to complete projects.

I still need to clean up the fuse panel and re-wire everything but I'm definitely pleased with the end result.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #82
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Great read! Not sure how I am just now seeing this but I am glad I stopped in. Best of luck with all of the anxiety issues- I went through something similar with my mother a few years back and it takes a toll, let alone being the one with the actual anxiety.

I know how it is trying to get things done with two little ones at home as well- it can be tough! Props to you for being a good dad and still trying to hang in this silly hobby of ours.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #83
Mister.E
Post Whore!

E's '95 S14 Build - The true "forever" build

Thanks a lot man! I love your car BTW. It really makes me want to build a clean stock bodied "Type-X" hatch exclusively for street use. Sadly I don't have the time or the money to take on a second project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
I know how it is trying to get things done with two little ones at home as well- it can be tough! Props to you for being a good dad and still trying to hang in this silly hobby of ours.

I'll be around as long as the community will accept my crazy antics! I saw a video (think it was on IG) of you ripping with your girls in the back seat. It really made me chuckle because I have been longing so bad to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #84
eric0191

Trader Rating: (1)
eric0191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have that same exact power steering cooler you have, except mine is mounted under the radiator support. I will say that before I put in the cooler my fluid was practically boiling. The installation of the cooler has dramatically lowered my fluid temps.
eric0191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #85
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Thanks for the input! That takes one concern off of the list.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #86
sil80takashi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sil80takashi is making a name for him/her selfsil80takashi is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I haven't been lurking around the build threads, usually DIW thread only lol,
but finally stumbled upon your build and read it fully. during work lol

I have to say, being originally from Japan and a father to a daughter, much respect to you sir, and hope you recover fully from your battles

Seems like your time in Japan was not wasted since you brought back awesome family, and congrats on the new one as well
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #87
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Thanks a lot man! I love your car BTW. It really makes me want to build a clean stock bodied "Type-X" hatch exclusively for street use. Sadly I don't have the time or the money to take on a second project.

I'll be around as long as the community will accept my crazy antics! I saw a video (think it was on IG) of you ripping with your girls in the back seat. It really made me chuckle because I have been longing so bad to do the same.
Thanks man! I am in the same boat. I would love to have an S14 someday but it just isn't going to happen right now. Perhaps when I am old and (more) gray than I am now, haha.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #88
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil80takashi View Post
I haven't been lurking around the build threads, usually DIW thread only lol,
but finally stumbled upon your build and read it fully. during work lol

I have to say, being originally from Japan and a father to a daughter, much respect to you sir, and hope you recover fully from your battles

Seems like your time in Japan was not wasted since you brought back awesome family, and congrats on the new one as well

Yeah, definitely no time wasted. The 6 years I spent in Japan were the best years of my life so far. Haven't had too much fun after returning to the states, but I'm hoping that 2016 will be the year that I get things going. I've got big plans for me and my friends, so I'm hoping things all fall into place soon. I'm so jealous seeing events like Final Bout and not being able to participate. As badly as I want seat time, though, my OCD won't allow me to cut corners on the car just for the sake of getting it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Thanks man! I am in the same boat. I would love to have an S14 someday but it just isn't going to happen right now. Perhaps when I am old and (more) gray than I am now, haha.

My main worry is that by the time I'm able to afford it, there won't be any clean hatchbacks left. I don't need to buy the cleanest car, but their are so many ruined chassis' out there that are just beyond repair or are not worth building.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #89
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Not much of an update, but I bought all new hubs just because it's one of those things that I felt like replacing.

Also bought some PBM bling for me and my homie.

I have decided to join Paisa Drift as well. I copped this mustang hood so that I don't feel weird when I run over any innocent bystanders... [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #90
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hey few questions for ya,

you plan on making that hood fit?
Whatd you use to make such a nice polish for the rails? did you clean up headlights too?
and are you considering a bashbar for all the roadkill?
DJTTon is offline   Reply With Quote