Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Engmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SR20DET Miss Fire\Bucking

Hey Guys, looking for some opinions as these things are always hard to troubleshoot over the interbutts.

91 240sx\SR20 Blacktop Swap

Issue: Car bucks\misses after warming up at highway speeds. Feels like a misfire, although happens really sporadically.

Troubleshooting thus far:

TPS Reset - Good
New Fuel Filter - Good
New Spark Plugs - Good
Throttle Body\IACV Cleaned - Good
New Walbro 255 Fuel Pump - Good
Vacuum leaks - None detectable at this point, will continue to look.
Repinned CAS sensor wiring and replaced harness side plug - Good

I suspect at this point Cam Angle Sensor faulty or Igniter Faulty.

Anyone have any ideas? Things to check?
Engmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
Coupes_FTW
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Coupes_FTW is making a name for him/her selfCoupes_FTW is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sounds like a dying coilpack
Coupes_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Engmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura about
5k Miles ago I installed a set of SplitFire Coils, I have spare Splitfire Coil packs.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Coupes_FTW
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Coupes_FTW is making a name for him/her selfCoupes_FTW is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
clean the MAF sensor
Coupes_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a similar problem, I think your next best thing to do is replace your ignition coils if you haven't already recently. I just bought a set of p2m's ignition coils for $140... very worth.
Also this is a long shot, but maybe check your brake calipers to see if they're sticking to the rotor, because that would make it feel like theres a boost leak or a misfire if its sticking bad. happened to me..
jdmgtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
What does wideband say during problems?

A misfire will show up on the wideband usually and verify it is actually a misfire
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
frsh2fourty

frsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to frsh2fourty
Check your injectors. You might have one that is slowly starting to fail. You can do it with a multimeter, I forget what the resistance is supposed to read but they should all read about the same if they are all good so a bad one will be really apparent. I had one that was intermittently sticking closed and the reading was still way off even though it wasn't completely bad.
frsh2fourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I cleaned my MAF and had no change, tested maf and it looks good.

This weekend i'll try swapping Coils, and check injectors.

I'll report back with my resolution when known.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If your car is tuned check your rom chip. The same shit was happening on my car, I have solid mounts so the chip actually vibrated out of the ECU and was causing a faulty connection, my car would buck like crazy but idles no problem.I tried swapping MAFs, coils, plugs, etc just to find it was the damn chip.
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
RomulanS13

RomulanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a really bad miss fire under load and if boost hit anything over 4psi. I replaced alt, coil packs, re did grounds, re installed CAS, adjusted TPS to factory spec and none of that worked. I Previously when first swapped the sr gapped the plugs to .028 or around that tried gapping them wider and the problem got even worse so I re gapped around .025 and all boost problems under load freeway speeds are gone no bucking or miss fire. something that simple haunted me for months until now. Hope that helps.
RomulanS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Check grounds.

I had the one on the back of the head wiggle loose. Like mentioned above, sounds like coilpacks
Old 01-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
also if theres oil pooling by the coils can cause same issue...replace vavle cover gasket
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #13
Engmus
Leaky Injector

I wanted to follow up on this, my problem was my TPS.

Even though the TPS would set voltage correctly, as you opened the Throttle the voltage was all over the place, sometimes it would be fine, othertimes it would be really bad.

I replaced the TPS with a genuine unit from Nissan. Moral of the story...

Just because you check voltage on the sensor at idle, doesn't mean that as you drive the vehicle it isn't a problem, it could be somewhere between totally rekt and on the way out.

Thanks all for the input and great ideas.