Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
rhyshc

Trader Rating: (0)
rhyshc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Sr20 idle,start,boost, vacline problem!

Hello zilvia.net having a problem with my s14 hopefully someone can shed some light!
Was driving to/from work today and when I put my foot down it felt like I hit a brick wall at 4500-5000 rpm and would not crack gate and felt like it was acting as a limiter. So, I tried easing the revs up slowly and would make it past 5000 rpm (went to 6.5k) then I would put foot down and again no gate/boost and would hit a brick wall. However in neutral I can rev freely.

Got home opened the bonnet, had a feel/listen and found a vac line between iacv and plenum to be off
pic showing vac line here: http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb8ec5c18.jpg

Replaced the line with line as seen in photo above as old one was way too tight to fit back on with minimal room to move my hands.

My understanding is that as I'm building boost it would escape out through that nipple so I thought this would fix my problem.
However now, the car cranks, but doesn't start unless you hold the throttle on and dies if you let go.
I hear a intermittent buzzing coming from under my plenum I'm guessing this could be the iacv solenoid
There's a purple plug for the iacv that I tried to remove to make more room to put line back on however I never got it off

update
4/4/2013
ive cleaned iacv, car idles WHEN you unplug either side of the circled vac line. it runs from plenum-plenum. kind of pointless, really.. anyway, they both have vacuum obviously but as soon as i plug it back in it dies. ideas?

Last edited by rhyshc; 04-12-2013 at 03:44 AM..
rhyshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Your link didn't work.

Replace the IACV, or try adjusting the idle screw on it until the car idles and go from there.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
rhyshc

Put 12v dc source to my iacv and the solenoid clicks so that tells me it works ok.

Just to clarify, car wont start with vac line going from plenum to above iacv plugged in (unless you give it some throttle + hold throttle)

car will start and idle if you unplug the vac line but then i have a boost leak.

perhaps wiring for iacv? anyone know what readings I should get...
Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
kota2240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
kota2240 is making a name for him/her selfkota2240 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
"Was driving to/from work today and when I put my foot down it felt like I hit a brick wall at 4500-5000 rpm and would not crack gate and felt like it was acting as a limiter. So, I tried easing the revs up slowly and would make it past 5000 rpm (went to 6.5k)"

I know this happen to me and someone else. If you have the oem intake, my internal spring in the pipe was taken out and caused that exact symptoms you are describing. The intake tube would collapse and make you feel like you hit a wall.
kota2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do boost leak test too, sounds like something else might have a hole in it or vacuum leak.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
rhyshc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kota2240 View Post
"Was driving to/from work today and when I put my foot down it felt like I hit a brick wall at 4500-5000 rpm and would not crack gate and felt like it was acting as a limiter. So, I tried easing the revs up slowly and would make it past 5000 rpm (went to 6.5k)"

I know this happen to me and someone else. If you have the oem intake, my internal spring in the pipe was taken out and caused that exact symptoms you are describing. The intake tube would collapse and make you feel like you hit a wall.
Intake as in plenum? Or pod? Either way im running aftermarket plenum, 4" intake and map instead of afm. No oem

Will search on how to make a boost/vac leak tester and give that a crack

Last edited by rhyshc; 04-12-2013 at 08:56 PM..