Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #3001
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I track my car and want as light of a swaybar as possible. Why bother trying to reduce weight on your car to hang a huge heavy sway bar out front that offers no extra stiffness over a hollow bar of just slightly larger outer diameter?
cause it's pretty damn low to the grand and it's being held to the chassis by two brackets so the unsprung weight is roughly half its affect vs having the correct rate for the swaybar is negligible.

I'd go on a limb and say a solid sway bar offers significant stiffness of the same diameter of a hallow sway bar... I just need to dig up my books again.

Btw someone buy my white lightning rear sway bar (22mm) and has holes for adjustment.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #3002
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
cause it's pretty damn low to the grand and it's being held to the chassis by two brackets so the unsprung weight is roughly half its affect vs having the correct rate for the swaybar is negligible.

I'd go on a limb and say a solid sway bar offers significant stiffness of the same diameter of a hallow sway bar... I just need to dig up my books again.

Btw someone buy my white lightning rear sway bar (22mm) and has holes for adjustment.
The fact that half of it is unsprung weight is even MORE of a reason to get a lighter sway bar. It's low to the ground, but the front one is one of the further forward "heavy" items. Our cars need less weight up front, so I don't see how saving an easy 8-12 lbs way up front is "negligible."

A hollow bar just slightly larger than a solid bar is just as stiff. The stiffness in torsion goes up in proportion to the outer diameter raised to the fourth power. To find the stiffness of a hollow bar just subject the inner diameter raised to the fourth power. It doesn't take long to realize that it doesn't take a much larger hollow bar to equal a solid bar's stiffness.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #3003
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Sooooo

I went to take my tie rod off today.

As I was trying to break it loose, BAM!

I got it loose! COOL!

Oh wait....

NEVERMIND,

That was actually the little notches on my Driftworks rack spacers that keep the spacers from spinning.

Cool.

I guess I tightened my tie rod too much?

But really?

REALLY? -______________________________-
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #3004
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oh and the sikky bars are indeed hollow confirmed from another user and he also said that it is lighter than stock which is great just like my tanabe...

only benefit going to tanabe for being chromoly vs sikky being steel
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #3005
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
These look rad.

Opinions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #3006
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
Sooooo

I got it loose! COOL!

Oh wait....

NEVERMIND,

That was actually the little notches on my Driftworks rack spacers that keep the spacers from spinning.

Cool.

But really?

Haha, that's what happened to us!!!! AAHHHHHHHHH.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #3007
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
[QUOTE=!Zar!;4173109]These look rad.

Opinions?

Yup I saw that.... I asked my friend who is a spoon reseller... Hopefully get some info on it....
Old 07-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #3008
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
These look rad.

Opinions?
I don't see the advantage over what we already have in regard to subframe collars/bushings.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #3009
yabeet
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
yabeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I don't see the advantage over what we already have in regard to subframe collars/bushings.
W the collars and or bushings you can still move the subframe/crossmember around a bit before its tightened...There is space between the bolt and the bolt sleeve itself, I know for sure that my subframes when I put them back on are probably not in the complete best possible place. I think our old cars would definitely benefit if they were available.

Zar; Speedhunters had a spoon article a few weeks ago and had this product in there, maybe check it out.
The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta– I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’

Jeremy Clarkson on Automatics
yabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #3010
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Someone make a knock off, because paying that much for a sleeve is just stupid. It's $270 for a silvia set.

There was some discussion about it on the Honda forums. Everyone agreed that it would be a very minimal improvement and not worth it.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #3011
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i thought shitty suspension on s-chassis is what made them such good drift cars?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #3012
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
That video is retarded, comparing 2 cars. The one where the car jumps around more probably has no sub-frame bolts at all.
All it those is keep sub-frame from moving a hair horizontal, I don't understand what is the video all about the car moving vertically.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #3013
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
The Spoon things address a problem that's not really there. Unless the bolts are out, the subframe's not going to move, and already efficiently transfers forces to the frame.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #3014
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
The Spoon things address a problem that's not really there. Unless the bolts are out, the subframe's not going to move, and already efficiently transfers forces to the frame.
And that's exactly what was I thinking. The clamping force of the stud/nut isn't going to let it slop around at all...in fact if it does you'd know in a heat beat. The origina/aftermarket bushings in the poly mounts or solid mounts don't really allow a ton of movement.

In the grand scheme, I see the subframe coconut things being just as effective.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #3015
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
But these can also go on the front crossmember, and there are no bushings available for the front crossmember.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #3016
maverickmotorsports
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
maverickmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
But these can also go on the front crossmember, and there are no bushings available for the front crossmember.
front crossmember is pinned to the chassis. so there won't be a lot of slop there.

Sr to VQ transmission adapter, dual caliper brackets, high angle tensions rods, and more!

http://www.maverick-motorsports.com/collections/all
maverickmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #3017
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
I've never seen evidence that my subframes are moving around on my cars once properly torqued. That's a lot of frictional force to overcome, and if it was frequently moving around, it'd probably wear the subframe/bolt head down due to the large normal force.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #3018
travypoo
Zilvia Member

travypoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to travypoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
Sooooo

I got it loose! COOL!

Oh wait....

NEVERMIND,

Cool.

But really?

I have been thinking about picking some offset rack spacers up as well. heard lots of negative things about them though. how do you lke them? big difference compared to running without them?
travypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #3019
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
The problem Spoon is addressing isn't after everything is torqued.... it's WHILE you are torquing/installing.

Try loosening the bolts on the x-member (or almost any suspension component) and you may notice some play in the bolt holes.

When torquing these bolts the twisting motion of the bolt head can move the x-member very slightly so instead of the x-member being perfectly square with the chassis it's now slightly crooked causing unwanted suspension characteristics.

Those hole spacers are supposed to keep everything centered for easy/accurate install.

The amount of play is probably negligible though and if you were really worried about it you could probably trace some circles around the bolt holes to be sure they are centered on the bolt head when torquing.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #3020
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
i do find that spoon video interesting... i mean i rather hear some engineers shine in but it seems one of those things to attain detail perfect on the smallest scale combining with other minor corrections on the car overall in the long run equaling overall improvements...

Kind of like how older cars had really poor tolerances on spaces, edges and other parts of the car's construction... and more modern cars are becoming physically built tighter, more rigid, more refined, etc... in the production of parts, fitment etc...
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #3021
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Those Spoon spacers are pretty neat, I'm sure there are a couple of places that would be nice to have such a precise alignment/fit. If you're using SPL's solid mounts, for the rear at least, then this problem is corrected. The bolt to bushing fitment on their mounts is probably 0.005" - 0.010"

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #3022
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im sure those spacers help a little but not enough to be noticeable to the driver. but my question is why would they use a prius to demonstrate there new performance product lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #3023
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
^b/c they're Japanese... enough said.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #3024
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Just got off the phone with Sikky, here's what I got. Their's is hollow, made of steel and will clear the Nismo power brace. I can see an argument for materials where the Tanable would be stronger since it is made of chromemoly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
oh and the sikky bars are indeed hollow confirmed from another user and he also said that it is lighter than stock which is great just like my tanabe...

only benefit going to tanabe for being chromoly vs sikky being steel
Srsly? You fail at teh read.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #3025
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
OK so I have an s13 with max knuckles, s14 control arms, s14 inner and outer tie rods, georges's spacers on both sides to make my tie rods long enough to reach the second hole in the knuckles. Now that I have it all together I don't see a noticable difference in angle between the holes. Could this be due to me having moved my inner tie rod pivot point to far outwards? also how much do caster and camber come into play in this? From what I have read and can grasp caster can aid with over centering issues but can it get me more angle. I forget which direction is which for caster too. My caster is 7 3/32 and my camber is -3 29/32.I have lots of space before get to the knuckle touching the control arm but I think I will have to put bump stops in so I dont hit my sway bar. thanks for any input and if you need more information I will try to get it.

Last edited by Patrick Bowering; 08-14-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #3026
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Take your caster down to 6 1/2 or even 6 degrees. You will have to adjust your toe again, but it should give you a few more degrees of angle.

Making the tension rod longer will give less positive caster.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #3027
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So moving the tire backwards in the wheel well/ lengthening the tension rod will give me less positive caster and more angle. ok makes sense thanks for that. I have since played with it a bit and I am now limited by my sway bar.thanks for the reply.
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #3028
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I thought this was a cool shot of the DW S15 all loaded up at an extreme angle.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #3029
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^

Amazing pic and amazing car. Possibly one of the best drift cars in the world!

Dunno if I mentioned but i hsve dw knuckles now, not drifted on them yet but they do feel good. not much difference to my own homemade job though lol.

The rears neef sphericals and stand alone handbrakr caliper brackets before they are fitted
Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #3030
scrantonz33
Leaky Injector

scrantonz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
great stuff
scrantonz33 is offline   Reply With Quote