Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
turboh224g is making a name for him/her selfturboh224g is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
#3 Cylinder problems

I am relatively new to sr's but have pretty much general engine knowledge. I have built several turbo honda setups for myself and friends. I have recently picked up 3 cheap sr blocks that all need rebuilding. On all three the problem was in #3 cylinder. I have also read about several other people having problems and is seems to be the #3 cylinder most of the time. I am curious to know why this is? More importantly what can be done to keep this from hapening and result in a reliable rebuilt sr? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
JKP
turboh224g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Suk02Si
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Suk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
What's the problem, low compression, spun bearing? If its low compression, maybe its because of the garbage head gasket that Nissan throws on there.
Suk02Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

turboh224g is making a name for him/her selfturboh224g is making a name for him/her self
sr

two of the blocks have scored cylinder walls and the third has a spun bearing. I also have a fourth that threw a rod, #3 cylinder, really wondering why #3? And what to do to keep it from happening in the future. Thanks,
JKP
Old 09-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
RedtopTech
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
RedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i lost fuel pressure while running a 75 shot of nitrous. The only damage occured on cylinder three where the piston got burned right past the rings and the sleeve got trashed. No other cylinders showed any sign of detenation. I stepped out as soon as it occured and putted 1.5 miles back home. My theory is that there is some design aspect that causes higher EGT on cylinder 3 compared to the others such as coolant routing, airflow through the manifold, or heat soak.
At first i was upset at myself for not keeping an eye on the wideband and fuel pressure(which i always check before using the nitrous) but then i looked on the bright side....time for forged internals!
RedtopTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
slim
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
slim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i know someone that melted the side of the #3 piston. the car always smoked a little then one day it finally became a smokescreen. we ripped it apart and found one side scored really bad and that side of the piston was melted. sounds kind of like the same problem.
lack of oil to that piston?
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:39 AM   #6
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

sr

I tend to agree that there is some design flaw that causes cylinder #3 to be weak. You are all confirming this by listing your problems with the same cylinder. Does anyone know what the actual problem is and how it can be fixed? If it is an oiling problem does higher volume pan and seperate oil cooler do it. Or if it is a cooling problem, a larger volume radiator with a higher pressure cap? Someone has to know. Thanks,
JKP
Old 09-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
georgesal
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
georgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
no #3 cylinder tends to go bad because the turbo sits right next to it. more heat soak in the area of cylindr #3 so more wear.
georgesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
^^^^^ DING DING DING He's right on the money, its also where the water lines are for the turbo off the cylinder 3 sleeve. so its definetly running hotter more prone to detonation it happened ot me with 2 SR's =)

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

sr

That makes a lot of sense. If that is the case does going to a top mount manifold solve this? Should I also switch to just an oil cooled turbo so I am not heating up the coolant even more? Thanks,
JKP
Old 09-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboh224g View Post
I am relatively new to sr's but have pretty much general engine knowledge. I have built several turbo honda setups for myself and friends. I have recently picked up 3 cheap sr blocks that all need rebuilding. On all three the problem was in #3 cylinder. I have also read about several other people having problems and is seems to be the #3 cylinder most of the time. I am curious to know why this is? More importantly what can be done to keep this from hapening and result in a reliable rebuilt sr? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
JKP
3 engines....3 problems....in the 3rd cylinder....

You're halfway to hell.....have fun.